The Big Relegation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a weekend in the bottom six, with all the teams playing each other. Almost like the post split games came six months early.
What a rip snorter of a result that was in Perth. The Saintees at home to a Livi team who hadn’t even scored in an away game this season and were on a stinking run with something like two league wins in twenty. A home banker surely, which would have given the cups holders a nice eight point cushion over the Lions. Nope, humped three zip, with some hilarious defending to boot.
St Johnstone couldn’t go from double winners to the Championship within twelve months, could they? Don’t be daft, they’ll be fine.
Huge win for Livi though, and they’re now just two points behind the Saintees and one behind Aberdeen. They’re at County next week, the Johnnies are at Parkhead and the Dons host Hibs. A win for The Lions in Dingwall would surely get them out the bottom three.
The Staggies were involved in a cracking game in the Highlands, but ultimately lost again at home to The Saints. They play some nice stuff at times, but they are a soft touch and are now the only team in the league without a win. Their next two games are Livi and Dundee, season definers all round there. If they don’t get that first win pronto they are in danger of being cut off at the bottom.
Cracking win for the Dees to finally get the monkey off the back. Of course it was only Aberdeen, and everyone beats Aberdeen, but with Adam and Griffiths back firing they’ll fancy climbing the table. Doesn’t get any easier right enough, Tynecastle next week.
The Dons? Stop it. Much too big to fail.

Our biggest issue is going from a settled back 3, to a rotating one due to the departure of Kerr and injury to Gordon. With Gordon back soon, we should be okay. My main concern just now is that we can’t wait until January to start playing again.

Hibs’ winter sphincter collapse has started a bit earlier than normal this season. Can’t see them going down, but a lot will depend on how committed they are to the plummet this year.

They should probably give Keith Gillespie a bell, see if he can finally make that Kyle Lafferty deal happen for them. Can’t see Ross being left sitting there in a room at East Mains, like Lennon was. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Our biggest issue is going from a settled back 3, to a rotating one due to the departure of Kerr and injury to Gordon. 

This is it, think yesterday was our 4th different starting CB combination in 4 games.

Last time we had a settled back 3 we beat Aberdeen then Dundee without conceding.

I think we'll be fine but we need to find more goals. We still can't break down sides who sit in and that'll become a major issue if we can't be solid defensively, although yesterday was a complete freak. We didn't even look that bad defensively apart from two moments of madness. Shaun Rooney getting injured another blow.

Do wonder about County though. Apparently been playing well but not winning, that usually ends with them starting to lose the good performances too. Shades of Dundee last time to me. Seems a plausible thought that they'll hire McIntyre within the next month, try a complete squad overhaul in January with 10 loanees coming in, and then completely explode.

11th is the interesting one. Aberdeen will surely sort themselves out and avoid it. Livi will take huge confidence from yesterday and love to battle for every point, Dundee have Adam to dig them out points, and St Mirren already have a decent points haul. Can probably rule Motherwell and United out already. I think we'll see a good side who'd normally be comfortably safe in the play offs, as it stands.

On 04/10/2021 at 19:46, Girth said:

ha ha doctor GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

This aged well, in a good way for you.

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Looking forward to seeing which loophole Aberdeen use to stay up this season. Might be tricky to shaft Falkirk as well, but hopefully they find a way.

Swing and myth again.

As for the relegation battle. We're in it to win it. 😏

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

We are worse than the Accies side of last season.

I'm not sure I would go that far, but from what I saw yesterday, the problems are obvious. A manager the fans don't want, signing a combination of loan players and journeymen from the English lower leagues, and a lack of on field leadership. 

Signing a "striker" with 10 goals in 150 career appearances sums it up. It was like us signing Arquin, Marwood, Dury, Plummer etc in 2014 / 15 - that was only ever going to end one way.

Thing is, I thought old Roy had deep pockets? I expected him to invest more to keep you safe.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Looking forward to seeing which loophole Aberdeen use to stay up this season. Might be tricky to shaft Falkirk as well, but hopefully they find a way.

Falkirk will manage to get shafted all by themselves.

Yup. No interference required thank you all so very much indeed.

It may have seemed ridiculous at the time, but with hindsight, that (in?)famous pitch invasion by Dons fans after their late winner at Livingston in August makes perfect sense.
If that game had finished a draw they’d be below Livi now and level on points with Dundee.
Their fans must have realised on some level what a huge three points that was in the relegation battle.

I'm not sure I would go that far, but from what I saw yesterday, the problems are obvious. A manager the fans don't want, signing a combination of loan players and journeymen from the English lower leagues, and a lack of on field leadership. 
Signing a "striker" with 10 goals in 150 career appearances sums it up. It was like us signing Arquin, Marwood, Dury, Plummer etc in 2014 / 15 - that was only ever going to end one way.
Thing is, I thought old Roy had deep pockets? I expected him to invest more to keep you safe.

This is certainly the most disconnected the fans have been from the club in a long time. Easy seeing that by attendances at games. It’s not even November but speaking to people around me at the game yesterday it just seems like there’s very little interest. Can only see that interest decreasing the longer Malky is in the job.

In terms of Malky, his signings have been awful. Harry Clarke looks the only capable one, whilst Hungbo has shown signs of promise. Everyone else is an imposter really. Unfortunately, it does seem as though Roy is bought into this “process” pish and I cannot see him sacking Malky any time soon.

58 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

This is certainly the most disconnected the fans have been from the club in a long time. 

I’d go a step further and say the most disconnected ever. Every season has had some level of enthusiasm except this one really , take me back to 2012!

Guy usually gets pretty close, but I think its still too early to be sure yet, maybe best to wait until 22 games when everyones played home/away.

Suggests underlying numbers aren't in Countys favour, alongside the actual results, which doesn't bode well for them, and maybe suggests 38/40 is the points target to aim for?