The Big Relegation Thread

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Livi are having a strange season. They’ve beaten Celtic, but haven’t beaten anyone else in the league, and their best striker seems to be playing for Arbroath. In the last two seasons they’ve been top six and it’s their home form that’s got them there. Already this season they’ve lost at home to Motherwell, Aberdeen and St Mirren. They’re never going to pick up many wins on the road, so if their home form has gone they’re in real trouble. They were in a similar position this time last year, sacked their manager, and went onto make a cup final and top six. Hard to see them turning it around like that again, their squad is clearly weaker. I’m having them in 11th after 38 games. Next up for them is huge but winnable games against The Saintees and County.

Weirdly enough, on paper our squad is stronger I'd say. Our only major loss was Guthrie but we've fucked up our recruitment at the back and are woeful at CB. Other than that the squad is top 6 material. It's just the tactics we're playing that are utterly dire. When fit, a midfield trio of Holt, Omeonga and Sibbald is as good as anyone outside of the OF. It's just down to Martindale to actually get a tactic working on the park. 

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't watch much Premiership, but, is it?

I don't see why not, Sibbald has been our best player this season. Holt has been massively improved and Omeonga has almost 50 appearances at Serie A level and Belgian U21 caps, he has looked brilliant in the few games he's played so far.

Could be a case of the squad needing longer to try and gel together for us

Edited by ATLIS

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Dundee are clearly a poor side who are struggling to adapt to this level.

Tbh, you've not watched us play enough, mate. Every performance aside from the battering at Parkhead and yesterday's debacle, we've played decently and if not for an inability to score goals we would have certainly earned a few more points.

Now I know the immediate thought to that statement is "If yer Auntie had baws...", but the fact is that our team has handled itself decently on the pitch so far, but the end product has been severely lacking. You would think if anyone, that a St Mirren fan would understand that frustration. I do also understand however that it's easy for fans to assume that current form equates to how good or bad a team can ever be throughout a season.

As a Dundee fan, I hope that Charlie Adam proves upon his return in the next game that he is the key to ending those troubles, and cementing my belief that this team can easily stay safe this season. If not, then... shit, McPake out I guess. Not for Charlie Adam though.

When fit, a midfield trio of Holt, Omeonga and Sibbald is as good as anyone outside of the OF.

Aye, it’s fitness that’s their problem.

I have an overly inflated opinion of how good Motherwell are, that’s the optimist in me…. But you are just delusional if you think that’s the best midfield in Scotland…. It’s debatable if it’s the best midfield in the bottom 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still very early doors but the league is already starting to shape up a wee bit like a few years ago when the other 9 teams in the division racked up points on the regular and St. Mirren, Dundee and Hamilton by virtue of all being completely hopeless, were in a competitive relegation fight despite the fact that any of their individual tallies after 30 games would have had them already cut adrift any other year.

2 way race between Dundee and County for 12th and Livingston thrown in for the 11th place.

Would be quite funny to see Aberdeen dragged in but I can’t see it myself.

56 minutes ago, mizfit said:

2 way race between Dundee and County for 12th and Livingston thrown in for the 11th place.

Would be quite funny to see Aberdeen dragged in but I can’t see it myself.

Well I can.

Lose to Dundee and they're only 2 points behind us. Assuming we then lose to Hibs, Hearts & Rangers - and on current form there's no reason to think otherwise - we'll still be stuck on 8 points.

Ross County face Livingston (h) and Dundee (a) this month, so someone will be picking up points.

Also County play Saint Mirren at home, Livingston are at home to Dundee United and Dundee travel to Saint Mirren, a point/points available there, perhaps.

By the end of October it could be very tight at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well I can.

Lose to Dundee and they're only 2 points behind us. Assuming we then lose to Hibs, Hearts & Rangers - and on current form there's no reason to think otherwise - we'll still be stuck on 8 points.

Ross County face Livingston (h) and Dundee (a) this month, so someone will be picking up points.

Also County play Saint Mirren at home, Livingston are at home to Dundee United and Dundee travel to Saint Mirren, a point/points available there, perhaps.

"By the end of October it could be very tight at the bottom." 

I suspect that many bottoms are tightening pretty severely already.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well I can.

ha ha doctor GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia