The Big Relegation Thread

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He started it.

There has been a revolving cast of incompetents since, but he was beyond them all (until ML/CC).

I really don't see how he failed us that greatly. Craig was the club director through one the best times in Falkirk's history and was involved when we had a successful youth system. The benefits of our youth academy was immense once we were relegated as these players kept us competitive at the top end of the championship. I would say Lang and Co have damaged us almost beyond repair. 

Oh, a few things come to mind:

• Insisting on Eddie May getting the gig when he didn't even want it! And refusing to accept/talking EM out of resignation once, or was it twice before we...
  • continued the madness by promoting Pressley. Keeping him on when he failed to keep us up in the limpest of fashions.
  • hiding VAT demands down the sofa and the club nearly going bust the following year
  • DAD's ARMY and the ludicrous contracts they were on in the SPL and subsequently the First Division.

Yes, the academy was fantastic, but are you seriously gilding GC's legacy with the credit for that? If so, you must also allocate him the litany of failures in the 2 or 3 years prior to 2011 that necessitated our reliance on it from 2011 onwards.

I have no argument with the brickbats hurled at ML/CC et al. They deserve it.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's probably worth saying that unlike 2010, or to a lesser extent 2016, if we do go down it's probably not going to put the future of the club in danger. It would obviously be a massive blow and one we'd likely take a few years to come back from, but there's not the same existential threat.

I think Killie would have a very decent chance to come straight back up if they end up getting relegated. Unlike recent years where Hibs, Hearts, Rangers and Utd have been lurking down there (and the league has a bit more money washing around), I think the team(s) that go down this year will be dropping into a league that will be relatively weak after Covid has fucked everyone's finances. 

If Killie went down and didn't bounce back in one season - then I think they would be in the downsizing nightmare that our peer clubs have all faced over the years and could obviously Falkirk it for a few years if things aren't well managed.

Assuming neither of them come up, I'd expect Dundee and Dunfermline to be fairly strong and probably Falkirk to be contenders too. We'd probably be favourites, but I wouldn't really expect us to bounce back up straight away.

The clubs in the Championship have been given a large six figure sum of free money this year too.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Assuming neither of them come up, I'd expect Dundee and Dunfermline to be fairly strong and probably Falkirk to be contenders too. We'd probably be favourites, but I wouldn't really expect us to bounce back up straight away.

The clubs in the Championship have been given a large six figure sum of free money this year too.

McPake and Crawford will probably help your chances of winning the title tbh.

How come St Johnstone are a horrible team to play against?

They are hard to score against, relentless in stopping you play, can match anyone physically and carry a goal threat. It was a complement.

Thank you for that we do our best. Sometimes it works.

If the three clubs you mentioned sorted themselves out and were challenging along with you, you could have some pretty big games with cracking crowds. Or it could all fizzle out.

47 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It's been three months since we beat a team other than Motherwell lol

If you beat us again post-split (you will) it'll genuinely look like we're just desperate to keep trying to make the "Lanarkshire Derby" a thing.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It's been three months since we beat a team other than Motherwell lol

The rules of drama sees your next win on the last day of the season, we’ll be safe by then.