The Big Relegation Thread

Am I right in thinking Killie have the fourth-longest continuous stretch in the top flight of the current 12, after Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell? I think their first season of this spell was 1993-94. Did Motherwell last come up in 1984, 85, something like that?

If it comes to an end, for a club with a similar fan base to the likes of Dunfermline, Partick Thistle and Falkirk they've had a good run. 

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Am I right in thinking Killie have the fourth-longest continuous stretch in the top flight of the current 12, after Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell? I think their first season of this spell was 1993-94. Did Motherwell last come up in 1984, 85, something like that?

If it comes to an end, for a club with a similar fan base to the likes of Dunfermline, Partick Thistle and Falkirk they've had a good run. 

Motherwell were promoted in 84/85 - my first season by co-incedence was 85/86, our first back in the Premier. And yes, Killie are next after us, then St Johnstone and then (impressively) is Accies.

Yeah, they were promoted in 93 with us.

50 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Correct, our last relegation was in 1989 (to Division 2).  Biased I know, but I'd say we've a slightly bigger fanbase than those other grand old clubs.

It's been a good run for us, bettered only by 1899 to 1947. But we're no' doon yet...

Correct, our last relegation was in 1989 (to Division 2).  Biased I know, but I'd say we've a slightly bigger fanbase than those other grand old clubs.
It's been a good run for us, bettered only by 1899 to 1947. But we're no' doon yet...

Yeah, long way to go and the split means there will be a lot of 6 pointers and winnable games. I'm just speculating.

I agree Killie have a slightly bigger fanbase but still in the same sort of category. Their staying power has been impressive when you look at all the bigger clubs that have hit the third or fourth tier in that time, like the three I mentioned plus Rangers and Livi. Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs have each had more than one relegation in that spell too.

Motherwell were promoted in 84/85 - my first season by co-incedence was 85/86, our first back in the Premier. And yes, Killie are next after us, then St Johnstone and then (impressively) is Accies.
Jesus. Accies with the sixth-longest stay in the top flight, all since that ridiculous comeback and penalty shootout at Easter Road. Whodathunkit.

After the apocalypse we'll have a two-team league, Accies v Termites.

Jesus. Accies with the sixth-longest stay in the top flight, all since that ridiculous comeback and penalty shootout at Easter Road. Whodathunkit.

After the apocalypse we'll have a two-team league, Accies v Termites.
They've got Kevin Cuthbert to thank really.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, long way to go and the split means there will be a lot of 6 pointers and winnable games. I'm just speculating.

I agree Killie have a slightly bigger fanbase but still in the same sort of category. Their staying power has been impressive when you look at all the bigger clubs that have hit the third or fourth tier in that time, like the three I mentioned plus Rangers and Livi. Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs have each had more than one relegation in that spell too.

Rangers never hit the bottom tier, they applied to start there.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

You are correct naming the four teams above. Should be borne in mind that both Aberdeen and Motherwell finished in the relegation spot but were saved due to the First Division winners ground not been up to standard with regards to all-seating requirements. Think it was Falkirk.

All things come to an end but its been a more than decent run!

Well, after todays result, it appears this will be the final table for the bottom 6 (not including a mighty cock up by St Mirren and a St Johnstone victory)

Screenshot_20210307-133534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f646675b59bf7b12bd2c25f38fc8e837.jpg

Seems that the table itself is split in 2, with St Johnstone, Dundee United and Motherwell fighting for the so called "Top Spot" while Ross County, Hamilton and Kilmarnock are fighting for survival.

I think once St Johnstone, Dundee United and Motherwell have all confirmed survival then they may put more focus to the Scottish Cup. Even with Rangers domination I can still see another team outside the oldfirm winning it this season. I would love to progress far in this seasons Scottish Cup which could make up for the rather average to terrible season that we have had.

Edited by Phillips455

Ironically this would normally have been an acceptable draw for United, Mellon's negativity earlier on in the season has cost them a top 6 spot (you'd imagine).

Now that I have typed that I expect United to stick 4 past Aberdeen, Accies to pump us 3-0 and County to beat the Perth Saints.

On 07/03/2021 at 14:18, sergie's no1 fan said:
On 07/03/2021 at 14:08, sergie said:
Ironically this would normally have been an acceptable draw for United, Mellon's negativity earlier on in the season has cost them a top 6 spot (you'd imagine).

Now that I have typed that I expect United to stick 4 past Aberdeen, Accies to pump us 3-0 and County to beat the Perth Saints.

Heart says yeah but head disagrees. It would be even sweeter if it happened because at 3 up we got the softest penalty award you could get.