The Big Relegation Thread

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Looking at the bottom 7 there's not a lot of difference in ineptitude up front - all between 21 and 26 goals for.

It's the goals against that's going to be the killer for the bottom two.  St Mirren's defence will ensure that've nothing to fear. But for those on 51? 

image.png

Aye, our GD being better than RC and Accies by 26 and 25 is worth another point. Accies aren't going to catch us I think it's highly unlikely  that all five of the others will either.

36 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I know that this is folly, but I'm beginning to wonder just how Accies are going to pull this  years act of survival off. Looking like a Dundee Utd administration and points deduction, or something equally unexpected... 

3 wins after the split

2 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

This is going to come down to United, Killie, Accies and County. The loser of Saturday's United-County game becomes a heavy favorite to be one of the bottom two. My money would be on United, who has been horrendous for about a month.

Yeah, I think the league is roughly split into four tiers at the moment:

Rangers, Livingston

--------------

Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs

--------------

St Johnstone, St Mirren, Motherwell

--------------

Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Accies, County

I think Accies probably finish bottom, but it's really anyones guess as to who finishes in the playoff. Killies new manager might make all the difference

United going down would be extremely pleasing.

Killie going down would mean no more games on that pitch but I don't really want to see them go down. 

Accies and County, meh...

Saintees should have more than enough to stay up.

St Mirren are fine, a couple of wins away from nobody having to bring them up in this chat. Keep their heads screwed on, a top 6 finish is very much there for the taking.

St Johnstone will be uninspiringly fine as per, could sleepwalk their way into the top 6 if St Mirren don't take full advantage.

Motherwell also fine, their 40-man squad will guide them through. Alexander looks like he has what it takes to get them safe comfortably.

Kilmarnock are the wild cards, depends on who they bring in. Could easily continue to struggle gaining momentum, but the right man in the wrong place can make all the difference.

United are shite... and also in trouble. They are 7th rn, and imo need most teams below them to improve to some extent to really be in danger, but it's hard to see where points are coming from. Their game against Ross County might well define their season...

...as it will for County, though their win against Accies has also done that. Joke figure as he may be, Yogi just feels to me like he has just enough to steer the Staggies to safety. He'll need a lot to go right though.

Hamilton look to be where they belong, giving up that game against RC from a winning position is criminal given where they are in the table. We all know some bullshit will happen and they'll manage to stay up again, but this would be one of the tougher escapes they will have made in their time in the top flight.

I'm getting serious Hibs under Terry Butcher vibes from Dundee United.

After 20 games of 13/14 Hibs had just won three games in a row and were sitting in 6th, a comfortable 13 points clear of 11th and looking a good bet to go on and secure a top six finish. The arse then fell out of them and they only won once for the rest of the season, taking 8 points from their remaining 18 games.

After 20 games of this season Dundee United were unbeaten in their last three and sitting 5th, a comfortable 11 points clear of 11th and looking a good bet to finish top six. The arse has now fallen out of them and they're winless in 8. If they lose again on Saturday then you just don't know where the points are going to come from.

Our remaining games this month are Livingston, Celtic and Motherwell.

I'm overly negative but that's a run we could come out of having picked up 0 points, so I'm not ruling us yet. Last night we were unfortunate to not get a point, but it's at the weird stage of the season where top 6 sides are starting to have nothing to play for, while bottom dwellers are fighting for their life, so results be top half sides might start to appear now.

Next month bigger for us. Hamilton/Hibs/County. 6/7 points from that lot would be a massive thing.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There isn't one of the top 6 sides who could possibly be described as having nothing to play for right now.

Rangers didn't play with near the same intensity last night as they did earlier this season against us. Subconsciously they know the job is done.

Celtic will be similar knowing the title is gone and expecting to steam roll their way to 2nd.

Hibs and Aberdeen have European spots secured already too.

Livingston the only one who seem to be genuinely pushing to finish higher than they are, the rest just going through the motions.

Rangers didn't play with near the same intensity last night as they did earlier this season against us. Subconsciously they know the job is done.
Celtic will be similar knowing the title is gone and expecting to steam roll their way to 2nd.
Livingston the only one who seem to be genuinely pushing to finish higher than they are, the rest just going through the motions.

Rangers are trying to secure an unbeaten season.

Celtic are trying to make sure they actually get second and qualify for the Champions League.

Only 3rd and 4th are guaranteed Europe, so Hibs, Aberdeen and Livi are all still pushing for that. On top of that, 3rd place will be a guaranteed group stage spot in Europe next season unless someone else wins the cup, so that's a massive incentive too.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah that's nonsense. Mcinnes is under extreme pressure to deliver 3rd and group stage football, with Livi breathing down both ours and Hibs necks. Finishing 5th would be an absolute disaster for him.

Ross has delivered two shocking semi final performances thus far so if he were to finish 4th or lower his first full season becomes pretty shite.

Livi just keep going and won't evr be in the 'nothing to play for' bracket.

Fucking finally a club with fuck all money is coming down.  Sick of clubs with millionaire owners being relegated and then buying the Championship.  The rest of us might have a chance next season!