The Big Relegation Thread

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

They’re certainly headed in that direction the way they are performing. Agree with you that 25/1for Utd is very generous.  But then I said st mirren were in danger of getting dragged back into it then they go and scud Utd 5-1, so who knows?!

The problem for the clubs who you could argue have better players; Motherwell, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, is that as it gets towards the closing stages of the season, it’s less about having the better players, and more about handling the pressure and being able to scrap.  This is where Hamilton, st mirren and Ross County have the advantage.

Hamilton are a good example; for a fair few of the past six seasons many folk would say Accies were the poorest team on paper. But they’ve always done enough to keep in touch, then pulled out big results in the closing stages when it mattered to stay up. They’ve been brilliant at it.

Interesting, if Motherwell hadn't been complete pish in their matches against Hamilton, they'd be in much better position and Accies would be at bottom by 5-6 points.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I don't think United is out of the woods, either. At some point, they're actually going to have to win a match (and that requires scoring), and getting hammered by St. Mirren isn't exactly a great sign moving forward.

About 10 points will see them safe - 38 points or thereabouts generally means safety. 

Or might just have made that up🤷🏼

This is shaping up to be either a really interesting battle or a total anticlimax I think. 

Logically Dundee United, St Mirren, Killie, St  Johnstone and Motherwell all either have enough points on the board to stay up fairly comfortably or good enough squads to be fairly confident they'll come good eventually. But you do get the feeling that at least one of them is going to f**k it enough to make things interesting and I don't really see either Accies or Ross County going down meekly.

Fwiw I reckon we'll pull away fairly shortly and be relatively safe by the start of March but this is based on nothing more than the sort of blind optimise that comes with never having seen us actually go down. 

2 hours ago, The Marly said:
3 hours ago, craigkillie said:
We're already only a handful of games away from the split, and this table is therefore already very useful in terms of predicting what will happen when it does come.

To be fair, a St Mirren fan obviously has more knowledge of how to plan a relegation battle than fans of your club or mine.

Yes we do! We also have a large supply of Pampers in storage if you guys need some?

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This is shaping up to be either a really interesting battle or a total anticlimax I think. 

Logically Dundee United, St Mirren, Killie, St  Johnstone and Motherwell all either have enough points on the board to stay up fairly comfortably or good enough squads to be fairly confident they'll come good eventually. But you do get the feeling that at least one of them is going to f**k it enough to make things interesting and I don't really see either Accies or Ross County going down meekly.

Fwiw I reckon we'll pull away fairly shortly and be relatively safe by the start of March but this is based on nothing more than the sort of blind optimise that comes with never having seen us actually go down. 

Yeah, right now it feels like it could be one of those season a where a team could get relegated with a fairly high points total. There isn't really anybody just losing every week who are clearly going to finish bottom, like Hearts last season.

3 hours ago, The Marly said:
4 hours ago, craigkillie said:
We're already only a handful of games away from the split, and this table is therefore already very useful in terms of predicting what will happen when it does come.

To be fair, a St Mirren fan obviously has more knowledge of how to plan a relegation battle than fans of your club or mine.

I think you overestimate the role fans have in planning relegation battles, tbh.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, right now it feels like it could be one of those season a where a team could get relegated with a fairly high points total. There isn't really anybody just losing every week who are clearly going to finish bottom, like Hearts last season.

Yeah hopefully this is what happens, as long as it isn't us obviously.

Probably the most boring outcome is Hamilton or Ross County being cut adrift and the other one scudding Dunfermline in the playoff.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

We were having a right good go at it until last night tbf. Just hope we will now see some form of upturn in results and fortune. 

29 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah hopefully this is what happens, as long as it isn't us obviously.

Probably the most boring outcome is Hamilton or Ross County being cut adrift and the other one scudding Dunfermline in the playoff.

Yeah, looking at it again, there are such a difference in the amount of games teams have played that the table is probably a bit false at the moment. Ross County possibly doing a bit worse than it looks just now, considering Well and Accies both have two games in hand on them, and two winnable games at that I think.

Yeah, looking at it again, there are such a difference in the amount of games teams have played that the table is probably a bit false at the moment. Ross County possibly doing a bit worse than it looks just now, considering Well and Accies both have two games in hand on them, and two winnable games at that I think.
One each against us so yeah, we'll have a better idea at the end of Febraury. Maybe worth sticking a tenner on us at 50/1 as an insurance bet incase we have a stinker.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
7 minutes ago, GAD said:

One each against us so yeah, we'll have a better idea at the end of Febraury. Maybe worth sticking a tenner on us at 50/1 as an insurance bet incase we have a stinker.

Yeah, and Well's other game is against Killie, isn't it? Not gimmies in any way, but games that any team would see as winnable. Of course, there is also the chance they lose them both and then they really are in the shit.

As for us, we've got a honking run of fixtures coming up, as well as playing twice a week for the next couple of months, and that's going to be tough. I think the games coming thick and fast can be a real bonus if things are going well and you are building huge momentum (I think the massive fixture congestion during the great escape season was a big help to us) but if it's going badly and you get in a rut, things can go south so quickly.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, and Well's other game is against Killie, isn't it? Not gimmies in any way, but games that any team would see as winnable. Of course, there is also the chance they lose them both and then they really are in the shit.

As for us, we've got a honking run of fixtures coming up, as well as playing twice a week for the next couple of months, and that's going to be tough. I think the games coming thick and fast can be a real bonus if things are going well and you are building huge momentum (I think the massive fixture congestion during the great escape season was a big help to us) but if it's going badly and you get in a rut, things can go south so quickly.

Don't agree we have a bad run of fixtures - after Saturday 5 out of the next 7 are at home, including Killie, Accies and Well.

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Don't agree we have a bad run of fixtures - after Saturday 5 out of the next 7 are at home, including Killie, Accies and Well.

We've got Celtic twice and Hibs in our next 4, and Killie is the orher one, which is never easy. If we got 0-1 points from the next 12 it wouldn't be a huge shock.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

We've got Celtic twice and Hibs in our next 4, and Killie is the orher one, which is never easy. If we got 0-1 points from the next 12 it wouldn't be a huge shock.

We also have Celtic and Hibs at relative low points. 

I'd say getting a run of 6 home games in 8 is decent in any situation.

Every team has already won more games than Hearts did last season. 

They really were an awful side, one of the worst in the recent history of the top flight.
No one is stinking out the league like they did so it’s likely to go to the wire.
Smart money is on an 11th/12 combination of County and Accies, but we all know these teams are capable of late season bursts of form.
I remember in the season we got relegated going up to Dingwall in January and watching us beat County with ten men. That put them bottom of the league and I thought they would surely finish there. They ended up 9th, 14 points clear of us.
Accies are basically Houdini in football team form and I think at least one of those two will finish tenth or higher.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

They really were an awful side, one of the worst in the recent history of the top flight.
No one is stinking out the league like they did so it’s likely to go to the wire.
Smart money is on an 11th/12 combination of County and Accies, but we all know these teams are capable of late season bursts of form.
I remember in the season we got relegated going up to Dingwall in January and watching us beat County with ten men. That put them bottom of the league and I thought they would surely finish there. They ended up 9th, 14 points clear of us.
Accies are basically Houdini in football team form and I think at least one of those two will finish tenth or higher.

I question the sanity of anyone who discounts Accies, ever.