The Big Relegation Thread

Looking at the table at the top of this page and looking at the table now makes it more interesting, St Mirren are now 4 points from the bottom and Killie are 5 points from the bottom.
Don't think you need to bother with this thread. Your mob will probably have enough to stay up.

13 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I keep thinking we'll be completely comfortable then I look at the table and there's nobody I'm really confident we'll finish above.

The good news is that Hamilton have to play other teams in the league. If it was just us they would be comfortably safe. 
I am more upbeat after last two performances. That is however 13 points lost from winning positions so we need to be better able to see games out. To be fair v St Mirren we had the non penalty and yesterday was Rangers so....

I also think there will be a lot more movement in our squad out and in so the next 2 weeks will be pivotal. Get it right and we will be OK. My concern is with the prospect of Gallacher, SOD and even Campbell attracting attention we may be losing quality also. 

Hoping Ross County don't suddenly become invincible like the last time we finished in the play off position. I think they were the form team for the last 2-3 months 🤷‍♂️

It's hard to comprehend we have only played just over half of the games so far. So much football still to be played.

I always assume StJohnstone and Motherwell will improve and get well clear of the trouble.

County have had a couple of great wins against Hibs and Aberdeen.

StMirren have been piss poor in the last few games.

Accies will do what Accies are best at.

Edited to add the odds for teams to finish bottom.

County are 11/8

Accies 6/4

Motherwell 9/1

Both Saints 10/1

Killie 16/1.

Our last 2 performances have been encouraging but January is a massive month for us.

I've said similar on the club thread but one of our main issues is our lack of quality substitutions. Our strongest starting 11 is decent enough but brining on 1 or 2 subs significantly weakens the team and has played a massive part in us not being able to see games out.

We usually bring on Jordan White who isnt good enough for this level. Yesterday we brought on Ross Maciver and the ball just bounced off him. We're being linked with Adam Rooney who is no doubt past his best but would definitely be a better option than what we currently have.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

Hoping Ross County don't suddenly become invincible like the last time we finished in the play off position. I think they were the form team for the last 2-3 months 🤷‍♂️

After having 12 points after 24 games, cut adrift by six points.  We then got 25 points in our next nine matches to be just about safe by when the split happened.

We don’t have Liam Boyce and Jackson Irvine this time though.

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

After having 12 points after 24 games, cut adrift by six points.  We then got 25 points in our next nine matches to be just about safe by when the split happened.

We don’t have Liam Boyce and Jackson Irvine this time though.

Oli Shaw and Charlie Lakin will do the job.

18 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Does/will McGregor still throw cash at the County cause?

He comes out every year saying he's going to reign it in a bit but he never does as they sign a heap of shite every summer then have to panic buy every January.

The year they went down he personally guaranteed they'd finish above The Caley and United and win the Championship.  Christ knows how much he threw at it that year.  Would've been eye watering.

Good results for all the teams not playing yesterday. Often the case in a relegation battle, your team is more effective when they don't play.  
IMG_1160.thumb.PNG.d6d05b460e11c79da3caf9d788d160bc.PNG

Full fixture card this Wednesday night, a draw between Motherwell and County would probably be best for the rest of us;
IMG_1159.thumb.PNG.6fd1aef5558ebb8c7ae83790dd281992.PNG

That motherwell V county game looks like it’s an opportunity for at least one of they teams to leave hamilton with an uphill battle. Even at this stage, 3 points in a game like this could be crucial.

8 hours ago, buchan30 said:

That motherwell V county game looks like it’s an opportunity for at least one of they teams to leave hamilton with an uphill battle. Even at this stage, 3 points in a game like this could be crucial.

Huge opportunity for Motherwell as they have two games in hand on County.

I know it was against Rangers and you can't read too much into a result against the OF, but RC looked like absolute dogshit Saturday outside of Laidlaw.

49 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Huge opportunity for Motherwell as they have two games in hand on County.

I know it was against Rangers and you can't read too much into a result against the OF, but RC looked like absolute dogshit Saturday outside of Laidlaw.

Ross County are an excellent football team and there's no shame in losing to them.

The two key dates for us are this midweek against United and the 6th (of Feb) when we face Killie. The other games in between are Celtic and Hibs, but these two are really going to determine whether we get pulled right into the fight or spend the season just bouncing on top of it.

Motherwell and County you'd expect to not necessarily turn things around but you wouldn't be gambling on them remaining basket cases. That in turn will spur on Hamilton to do their usual of getting a couple of panic wins when they are against the wall. While there are five points between bottom and 7th, I can see it literally being 2 or 3 points between a bottom 5 with perhaps one team hitting a bit of form and escaping the death spiral. I hope it's us, we have the players, do we have the fortitude and that wee bit of luck?

Edited by Ric

Only a ‘Terry Butcher’s Hibs’ style collapse could relegate the Saints now. And I’m not saying that won’t happen... but top six a far more likely prospect.