The Big Relegation Thread

If the games are re scheduled then they should be played by each team minus the players that were unavailable due to Covid. If that means a second string team then so be it. That would be fair punishment and the games go ahead. 

If the SFA / SPFL re schedule the games v full strength sides then that is as much a cock up as awarding the points is now being discussed as being. Going from a harsh punishment to none at all. 

Of course the way we are playing at the moment a St Mirren / Killie under 17 side would beat us. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

If the SFA / SPFL re schedule the games v full strength sides then that is as much a cock up as awarding the points is now being discussed as being. Going from a harsh punishment to none at all. 

Well when Aberdeen get games postponed for breaking rules, we never got the fortune of playing their weakened side. In fact they were stronger by the time we faced them than when the original game was postponed.

Quite why Motherwell fans feel they deserve the 6pts, or deserve games against weakened sides while other clubs didn't, is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If the games are re scheduled then they should be played by each team minus the players that were unavailable due to Covid. If that means a second string team then so be it. That would be fair punishment and the games go ahead. 

Of course the way we are playing at the moment a St Mirren / Killie under 17 side would beat us. 

Can we pick what players from our squad should be excluded?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Well when Aberdeen get games postponed for breaking rules, we never got the fortune of playing their weakened side. In fact they were stronger by the time we faced them than when the original game was postponed.

Quite why Motherwell fans feel they deserve the 6pts, or deserve games against weakened sides while other clubs didn't, is beyond me.

Only a handful of Motherwell fans believe we deserve 6 points and none that I know or have spoken too. Right now the other 95% are praying we get them.

I get your point re playing a full strength Aberdeen side. But if I recall Aberdeen never said they could not fulfil the fixture. St Mirren and Killie did which is why the SPFL have to act. 

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Only a handful of Motherwell fans believe we deserve 6 points and none that I know or have spoken too. Right now the other 95% are praying we get them.

I get your point re playing a full strength Aberdeen side. But if I recall Aberdeen never said they could not fulfil the fixture. St Mirren and Killie did which is why the SPFL have to act. 

I'm just desperate for you lads to get dragged into the mire with us tbh.

Only team playing as bad, while your coaching staff publicly tearing the squad to shreds is a classic of the relegation genre.

Way our seasons gone though, you'll get the 6pts for nothing.

29 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If the games are re scheduled then they should be played by each team minus the players that were unavailable due to Covid.

Just for reference, Celtic had a game against us cancelled because of a covid breach, when we played the re-arranged fixture they were allowed to use the players they had signed in the time between.

Honestly I haven't really followed the Covid postponement stories aside from how they will materially benefit Motherwell or not- why do people keep bringing up English examples?

I guess there are two reasons. Firstly, Doncaster specifically used England as an example when writing his open letter to the Scottish government about getting crowds back in, thus implying that the SPFL consider this a valid comparison. On top of that, the SPFL's own original judgement used two rugby competitions - one international and one from a French domestic competition - as a precedent for awarding forfeits, thus implying that they are happy to consider examples from elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

Can we pick what players from our squad should be excluded?

Nah, we'll make the decision, in the same way the sides in a school yard football game is decided, just in reverse (as in choosing who's not in the side, not who is).

btw, could someone do me a favour and remind me of the name for the way to choose who gets first pick. It involved the two team "captains" standing apart and walking, one foot directly in front of the other and the person who ends up 'overlapping' the opponents shoe got first pick. It's been so long since I've even thought about that (and I honestly don't know if it's still "a thing") but I'm sure it was called something like ticktock, but then any google searches automatically thinks I'm looking for TikTok.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Nah, we'll make the decision, in the same way the sides in a school yard football game is decided, just in reverse (as in choosing who's not in the side, not who is).

btw, could someone do me a favour and remind me of the name for the way to choose who gets first pick. It involved the two team "captains" standing apart and walking, one foot directly in front of the other and the person who ends up 'overlapping' the opponents shoe got first pick. It's been so long since I've even thought about that (and I honestly don't know if it's still "a thing") but I'm sure it was called something like ticktock, but then any google searches automatically thinks I'm looking for TikTok.

Nick nack?

Just now, ropy said:

Nick nack?

It could very well be, I was going to use it in my initial reply but then realised I couldn't think of the actual name. Like most things, there are probably regional differences in what it's called.

We used to do jumpies. Same idea but it was two footed jumps.

It was always nerve wracking moments when the captains were just about in range but would jump millimetres at a time until one decided they were going to make the big leap and about break the other ones toes and ankles if they were successful.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

We used to do jumpies. Same idea but it was two footed jumps.

It was always nerve wracking moments when the captains were just about in range but would jump millimetres at a time until one decided they were going to make the big leap and about break the other ones toes and ankles if they were successful.

That sounds far too open to abuse, at least with the foot in front of the other you know the amount being moved will be the size of the shoe. I don't think there was any tactical decision on whether shoe sizes matter, nor who went first as the gap at the start was intentionally big enough that nobody could judge who would be the winner.

Just now, Ric said:

That sounds far too open to abuse, at least with the foot in front of the other you know the amount being moved will be the size of the shoe. I don't think there was any tactical decision on whether shoe sizes matter, nor who went first as the gap at the start was intentionally big enough that nobody could judge who would be the winner.

Yes seen it decided that way as well, was a lot less dramatic.

When you think back, there was 15-20 minutes at break time and about half of it must have been used up working out who got first pick then arguing over who got the wee fat boy at the end until someone eventually gave in and stuck him in goal.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes seen it decided that way as well, was a lot less dramatic.

When you think back, there was 15-20 minutes at break time and about half of it must have been used up working out who got first pick then arguing over who got the wee fat boy at the end until someone eventually gave in and stuck him in goal.

Come now, Paulo, be honest here... you were that wee fat guy stuck in the goals, weren't you? :P

We played hack-a-mania to decide captains.

Last man standing got first pick.

Generally took our first break to decide that, then teams got picked during classes, then game played at your big lunch break in the afternoon.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We played hack-a-mania to decide captains.

In my school days the captains were always the best footballers. There was rarely any dispute, while who was better than who and who was the worst was always up for debate, it was an accepted thing who the best players were.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

In the same way that when Celtic's game with us was re-arranged because of a Covid breach by one of their players, we had to play without any of our goalkeepers and one of their scorers (in a 2-1 win) wasn't even at the club when the original game was due?

Edit to add - I see Ric has covered part of this already. Carry on.

Edited by AllyM