The Big Relegation Thread

results.jpg.6c2378a6379533bb526bc0f1ed9b8fad.jpg

Aye, St Mirren and Livingston the big winners today.

table.jpg.5a17817c64bb3b8e6094c99e90ef5477.jpg

United, Livingston and St Mirren probably all safe now. Motherwell will be fine. Obviously keep them all in until teams start reaching 40pts though, especially after Hibs' collapse one season.

Bottom four now feels like its set, so the battle gets serious next Wednesday...

2020-12-26_17-55-46.jpg.576fa2c5410b65f0fc46549d2ef6021c.jpg

St Johnstone v Hamilton a mammoth game, as is Motherwell v Kilmarnock.

Losers are truly in the shit.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

United, Livingston and St Mirren probably all safe now. Motherwell will be fine. Obviously keep them all in until teams start reaching 40pts though, especially after Hibs' collapse one season.

Bottom four now feels like its set, so the battle gets serious next Wednesday...

Are we fine or are we set as bottom 4?

Just now, ropy said:

Are we fine or are we set as bottom 4?

You'll be fine, sorry, never made that clear.

To me its County, Hamilton, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock who are in the relegation battle this season. 

You lot are too strong defensively to truly get sucked in, and will have a run of 4/5 wins at some points that takes you well clear.

I dont see County/Hamilton gaining 10pts on St Mirren, again, too strong defensively.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd stick an asterisk beside us for now. A straight up points deduction during the appeal rather than 2 x 3-0 defeats would see us shunted to 3rd bottom and back in amongst it. 

As DJC says, from a St Mirren point of view, the hornet's nest has been poked by us appealing the forfeited games. In many ways we would have been better off accepting it and using it as moral high ground to other breeches - and there have been several. The worst scenario could be us docked points for the breech of regulations and having to play those games. If that is possible, and the SPFL want to "make an example" of us (and Killie, if we were docked points they would be too) it would absolutely put us right back into the fight - and I'll be honest I don't think we are in any way out of it at present.

Just now, craigkillie said:

It's out of the SPFL's hands, this is an SFA decision now, or more strictly speaking an independent panel under the auspices of the SFA.

Completely? I mean of the people on here, you'd know, but this isn't the SFA saying "you overstepped your mark there, reconsider"? The reason I ask, is it possible for the SFA to enforce a points deduction? Wouldn't the points thing need to come from the league, while SFA would be a fine?

Nobody really knows what the rules are because they haven't been published as far as I know, but this panel will be determining whether the punishment was fair and in line with the rules. I'd imagine if it's not fair then the SPFL will already have provided them with a list of other penalties which they have provision for.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

... I don't think we are in any way out of it at present.

On current form, it'll take Ross County until game 32 to reach your current total of 21 points. It'll be 28 or 29 games for Accies. How many points will you have by that time?

On current form, it'll take Ross County until game 32 to reach your current total of 21 points. It'll be 28 or 29 games for Accies. How many points will you have by that time?

It’s the possibility of a six point deduction that means we are still in it. Although if we did get the six points deducted we still wouldn’t be in the bottom two and we’d have Accies and Well at home - two teams who we’ve already beaten away from home. So if we didn’t get those six points back I’d hope we’d get at least three which would put us in 7th - which is where we are now.

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

It’s the possibility of a six point deduction that means we are still in it.

Yup, that's what I was meaning. If the points total remains the same, then I'd say we've got enough to keep at arm's reach of County.

What's going on at Kilmarnock? Perhaps if they spent less effort whinging about the injustice of the SPFL verdict and more on their first team performance then they wouldn't be getting dragged into the relegation mix right now.

Can't see past Ross County 12th and Hamilton 11th over the rest of the season but any team showing a clear downward trend now should be considering their options before next season. Saint Johnstone and Killie are one bad managerial choice either way from being in a more serious scrap next season.

Edited by vikingTON

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think I'm still traumatised by 2014/15 when County looked dead and buried then became probably the best team in the country for 3 months.

Our players with the most appearances that season were:

Scott Boyd, Filip Kiss, Liam Boyce, Jackson Irvine, Paul Quinn, Jake Jervis, Martin Woods, Jamie Reckord, Midge, Joe Cardle and Mark Brown.

I think they'd all offer more than this current crop of shite, even Martin Woods.

What's going on at Kilmarnock? Perhaps if they spent less effort whinging about the injustice of the SPFL verdict and more on their first team performance then they wouldn't be getting dragged into the relegation mix right now.

Can't see past Ross County 12th and Hamilton 11th over the rest of the season but any team showing a clear downward trend now should be considering their options before next season. Saint Johnstone and Killie are one bad managerial choice either way from being in a more serious scrap next season.

The bad managerial choice was already made last December and then repeated in the summer. We have a manager who doesn't seem to want or be able to change games, and the tactics are very primitive.

We are now actually playing the way the thick Old Firm fans and jealous fellow diddy fans claimed we used to play under Clarke - shove folk behind the ball, punt it long and hope for a bit of luck from set pieces. Dyer was actually there though, and yet doesn't seem to have any understanding as to why that team were good and why his isn't.

On 26/12/2020 at 10:55, IrishBhoy said:

That should have been how they done it from the get go. To come out and give Motherwell and Hamilton the points when there was even a chance of an appeal being lodged is just amateur hour, and a blind man could have seen this exact situation arising. There was nothing stopping them from making a statement outlining the forfeitures, with a paragraph at the end saying something like ‘league standings will reflect this decision pending appeal’ and everyone is covered when any eventuality plays out. The SPFL really don’t help themselves. 

Something had to be done re all these Covid breaches, and I suppose deducting points gets the message across, but it all seems a bit ham fisted.

If points deduction is the way to enforce this why not do it from the very start of the season?