The Big Relegation Thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Clear who the big winners are there. St Johnstone have had an incredible spell since December, considering how gash you were.

I'm not undermining your achievement, but it kinda shows that it's relatively straightforward to change your fortunes in this league. Makes it incredibly frustrating that we've never really managed to not be in a relegation scrap, Gretna season aside.

We weren't involved in 2011/12. Probably our best season of recent times after we had probably one of our best summer windows. We went on a horrendous run of draws though that cost us badly for top 6. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is the Daniel Stendel era league table. How the table would look from his first game in charge, v St Johnstone on 14th December, until now...

I don't think there is a point to this unless you are willing to accept the context of his reign. Can he be held responsible for the loss at home to St Johnstone 2 days after arriving? What about the other 3 games lost in 2019 which took place within 3 weeks of his arrival? We were in absolute freefall at that point which is what fans of other fans perhaps don't realise. I judge him on 2020 results which have admittedly been too little too late anyway. 

I would say he has slightly under achieved but not by much. Certainly playing the Portuguese keeper and persisting with Damour lost us more than a few points. The players we have should in theory be good enough for a finish between 10th and 8th but the problems run deep and have done for 2 - 3 years. There is a mental weakness that this group of players have together. 

Budge didn't back him in January either. It was one in one out. Boyce was only brought in because some mad yanks thought Mulraney was worth £200k and we managed to shift Whelan. Langer was obviously a cheap option. The Kosovan kid is a mystery. Sibbick looked the real deal but has had glandular fever for 2 months. 

i genuinely think relegation might be the best thing for the club at this point and thats not just cognitive dissonance. 

On the other hand 2nd Rangers might become 3rd Rangers after the remaining games are played behind closed doors and we could keep our place. That would be worth finishing bottom for. Pretty good

Genuinely think we are down.  If we can close the gap to 1 or 2 points before the split (on the basis it'll go ahead, which is unlikely)  then it'll give us a wee lift and bit of fresh impetus but  I just can't see us winning the amount of games needed.

5 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Would Hearts staying up on a technicality be worth the amount of seethe from United fans?

Probably.

I'd relegate Hearts and also keep United down. 

Always thought an 11 team league was the way forward. 

2 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Interesting that you cretins appear to be treating Hearts' relegation as a foregone conclusion, when of course the reality is that we were about to turn on the style and coast to safety? 

Guess we'll never know for sure.

greggy.png

6 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Interesting that you cretins appear to be treating Hearts' relegation as a foregone conclusion, when of course the reality is that we were about to turn on the style and coast to safety? 

You've got to hand it to Hibs, really: letting you beat them the other week, just to give you hope, despite knowing the season would get scrapped and you'd get relegated anyway.

It was audacious, I'll give them that.

4 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

C14 has you down.

No - if anything it helps. That rule is there to prevent someone arguing that (e.g) you should have two games in hand on your title rival because they've had two games abandoned at half time due to bad weather over the course of the season.

Mandating that a season consists of 38 matches means that you cannot just end the season after 30 matches and relegate Hearts. 8)