The Big Relegation Thread

40 minutes ago, Lex said:

You’re referring to league games. With the Challenge cup and entering a round earlier in the Scottish cup it’s more likely that Championship team will have played more games over the season.

They will also have played midweek Saturday in the semi final and then midweek Saturday again the week after in the final. Plus the fact the second leg of the final is at the Premiership sides ground.

It’s too weighted in the Premiership teams favour, particularly the final. That should at least be a one off game at a neutral ground even if they kept the format up to that point the same.

The Premiership sides are more likely to actually go further in cup competitions though, which surely balances that out to some extent. And not every Championship side enters a round earlier in the Scottish Cup - the top four from the previous seasons (ie the ones most likely to make the play-offs) enter in Round 4.

I don't get this meaningless games argument put out to argue against a larger league.    I'm a County fan and every Ross County game means something to me, it might not to supporters of other clubs but if i can't attend a game, I'm a season ticket holder so go to most home games and a few away games, I'm always looking for ways to hear how the match is going (usually poorly but I try to be optimistic). It doesn't matter where County are in the league, the game matters. Bring on a 16 team league in my opinion. 

As a percentage 3 teams out of 16 is 18.75% of the teams in the league facing relegation at the end of the season. 2 from 12 teams is 16.87%, so actually less chance of getting relegated in a smaller league.

I am only highlighting that part, Lex, as you know that is absurd and shows the old adage about stats!

When you have clubs like Dundee, Utd, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Thistle in the lower divisions (who all deserve to be where they are, not disputing that) we should be able to increase the numbers in the top flight without diluting the standard too much.

We could get away with increasing it to 16 imo and have a split of 6/8. 3 up 3 down. Means relegated teams have a decent shot at getting promoted and teams like Morton, Ayr, Raith who haven't been in the top flight for decades will have a fair shot at promotion.

Increase the other divisions too. Relegation shouldn't be seen as a dooms day scenario and clubs shouldn't be making heavy losses attempting to get promotion to the top flight.

Would mean a few dead rubber games for the teams in the middle of the division that cant reach Europe and are not involved in a relegation battle but that is a great opportunity to bleed in youngsters when the pressure is off.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

When you have clubs like Dundee, Utd, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Thistle in the lower divisions (who all deserve to be where they are, not disputing that) we should be able to increase the numbers in the top flight without diluting the standard too much.

We could get away with increasing it to 16 imo and have a split of 6/8. 3 up 3 down. Means relegated teams have a decent shot at getting promoted and teams like Morton, Ayr, Raith who haven't been in the top flight for decades will have a fair shot at promotion.

Increase the other divisions too. Relegation shouldn't be seen as a dooms day scenario and clubs shouldn't be making heavy losses attempting to get promotion to the top flight.

Would mean a few dead rubber games for the teams in the middle of the division that cant reach Europe and are not involved in a relegation battle but that is a great opportunity to bleed in youngsters when the pressure is off.

We're 18 points clear in the Championship and we're fucking awful. I don't necessarily agree with your contention about diluting the standard.

Cup weekend is out the way, with only bottom side Hearts moving on to the next round. St Mirren lose 2-0 to Aberdeen, then St Johnstone lose 1-0 to Celtic.

A reminder of the league situation...

Screenshot_20200301-182412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf9248b59a7d049d55ad375e16597847.jpg

And heres the upcoming fixtures...

20200301_182344.thumb.jpg.42f08d4d3d27119f68f020728ed8876a.jpg

Hearts straight into the fire, with an Edinburgh derby. Probably the best game for them as the players will be right up for it. With Hamilton away to Rangers, it could end up being a defining matchday in the race to avoid bottom. St Mirren v St Johnstone also holds an interest, a win puts one onto the mythical 35 mark which will see me remove them from this discussion, a win for the other could see a huge gap open up between the rest and the bottom two. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Untitled.png.d7e85b86d691ef1a118ebd1772cc43b4.png

Hearts, finally, step up. They head into the weekend game at home to Motherwell aiming to win two league games in a row for the first time since Jan/Feb 19...

Untitled.png.e296ada6a1fba89313e02a66284f790b.png

Hearts move off the bottom of the table for the first time since December, and drag St Mirren back into the battle. Ross County fans might feel worried again aswell. 

Untitled.png.47d3389122c82a869973f1e0f1adeaa1.png

Hamilton, St Mirren, and Ross County, all have a chance to respond tomorrow. None have easy games, St Mirren probably the most likely to collect points.

Remaining games

Kilmarnock 32pts - Aberdeen (H), Hamilton (A), St Mirren (H), Motherwell (A), Livingston (H)

St Johnstone 32pts - St Mirren (A), Livingston (H), Hibernian (A), Celtic (A), Hamilton (H) - Rangers (A)

Ross County 29pts - Motherwell (A), Rangers (H), Hamilton (H), Hearts (A), St Mirren (H)

St Mirren 25pts - St Johnstone (H), Celtic (A), Hearts (H), Kilmarnock (A), Rangers (H), Ross County (A)

Hearts 22pts - Motherwell (H), St Mirren (A), Livingston (A), Ross County (H), Aberdeen (A)

Hamilton 21pts - Rangers (A), Kilmarnock (H), Ross County (A), Hibernian (H), St Johnstone (A)