The Big Relegation Thread

14 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

St Johnstone won't go down. There are too many West coast teams in this league. I'd like to see St Mirren drop.

😍

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

That seems a wee bit over-confident does it not?  You think if you get 6 points above Accies you'll be hard for them to catch with 13 games (a third of the season) remaining?

Id love to share your confidence, but I'd be looking for a lead of probably at least double that at this stage of the season before I would say that about us.

Perhaps. Accies have always been really good at pulling a mental result out of the bag from places like Pittodrie and Easter Road but I don't really recall them stringing a set of results together in the last couple of seasons aside from them going 4 unbeaten at the end of last season, to more or less match us going 5 without defeat.

My point more  surrounds the fact that we lost 11 of our first 16 games and in comparison, have lost 2 of our last 8. We've been picking points up with pretty decent regularity since early December with 10 points over the last 8 games (those 2 defeats in that spell were both single goal defeats to Rangers and Celtic) and that would make me relatively confident that IF we could get a result on Wednesday, we could just about pick up enough points over the course of the rest of the season to keep out of Hamilton's grasp. I wouldn't necessarily show the same attitude about Hearts, though. They look to have played a massive get out of jail card today but they now are dangerous going forward and that's why it's so important that we tuck back into that pack of 4 clubs hovering above the relegation spots.

For the record, looking at St. Johnstone's form of late too, I'd say there's little chance of Accies catching you as well. Again, if they beat us on Wednesday, it's very much game on in terms of ourselves but if we manage to get the win, their immediate focus would have to be Ross County given their poor form of late.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For the record, looking at St. Johnstone's form of late too, I'd say there's little chance of Accies catching you as well. Again, if they beat us on Wednesday, it's very much game on in terms of ourselves but if we manage to get the win, their immediate focus would have to be Ross County given their poor form of late.

My thoughts before this weekend were that the Play Off fight was between County, Kilmarnock, and Hamilton.

But then Kilmarnock went and humped County, and Hearts didnt show anything against us to warrant the recent hype.

So aye, I'm lost again with what to think. We'll potentially lose our next three and everyone will have us pinned as favourites to go down again.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Perhaps. Accies have always been really good at pulling a mental result out of the bag from places like Pittodrie and Easter Road but I don't really recall them stringing a set of results together in the last couple of seasons aside from them going 4 unbeaten at the end of last season, to more or less match us going 5 without defeat.

Post-split usually a different set of dynamics for teams still in the relegation dogfight - Hamilton & Saints were scrapping for 10/11th spot last season although Dundee bucked the trend by continuing to implode.

Pains me to say it but I'm looking for Accies to take a tanking tomorrow and maybe have a coupla players sent off. It would be good to go into Wednesday's game 3pts ahead of them, give the game a completely different dynamic from the two H2H games with them last spring!

It would also be nice to have a season when it was all tied up early - but that's undoubtedly just fantasy.... 

Edited by btb

Would be typical of Accies to pull off one of the biggest shocks ever today.
No it wouldn't lol.

We'll lose, probably narrow enough so that fans get a bit of encouragement before putting in a miserable display on Wednesday.

I keep expecting St Johnstone to pull away, but they just cant seem to break away. 

I really like Tommy Wright, and when things are so tight it's the marginal stuff that makes the difference. I think he's the best manager of the bottom 6.

Screenshot_20200202-085556_Chrome.jpg.35fab51e8cf3672cbfa6735ffa7002d8.jpg

A reminder of todays only fixture...

Screenshot_20200201-170455_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c14003f1944813c0ae50bd7df3730312.jpg

Hamilton have a chance to come straight back off the bottom within 24 hours. One of the worst possible fixtures for them to try it in though.

Only 8 rounds of fixtures left until the split. Starting to look like the results after the split will be vital.

32 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

County are looking doomed, our defence is leaky as f**k and where before we were good for a couple of goals we're creating less and less opportunities now too. 

Certainly got that pessimistic sinking feeling now. 

Did Coll Donandson not perform yesterday then? Would have thought that he would have made a differnce, appreciate there needs to be some settling in time. 

Aslo saw that Shaw was subbed. Was he pish then?

Screenshot_20200202-143951_Chrome.jpg.7d03e6c1c86106353166db28c249d303.jpg

A harsher scoreline than deserved, as 10 man Hamilton lose 3 goals in the final quarter. Relief for the rest of the bottom dwellers after they took the lead.

Screenshot_20200202-144006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.22dc55c19f18c13dcbd927fa5725746a.jpg

Nothings really changed apart from Hamiltons GD taking a beating. St Johnstones game in hand against Rangers still not been scheduled.

Screenshot_20200202-144025_Chrome.jpg.e10dfe2b48136f4ca8ff271b158f6623.jpg

Wednesday night has a full round of fixtures to look forward too. Some big games with Hearts and Kilmarnock facing off at Tynecastle, and St Mirren hosting Hamilton. Two home wins would see Hamilton 4 adrift of 11th.

The other bottom dwellers face tough games against Aberdeen and Livingston, but both might fancy taking a point.