The Big Relegation Thread

17 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Aw Jesus, not a foreigner!

Brexit thread for this xenophobic pish IMO.

You completely misinterpreted that point.

I was drawing comparisons to Dundee United the season they went down.

Sorry bud. FWIW I like St Johnstone and hope you stay up.
What do St Johnstone fans think of Tommy Wright? I've always liked him but sometimes, after a while, it can just go a bit stale for any manager and group of players. I don't see enough of them to know if that's the case, I'm just wondering from what I see in highlights. 

No worries Gordon. We have improved our squad from last year’s transition to a younger group, and that one finished seventh after some ups and downs in terms of runs.
This is another transitional season but I think I’d rather be as we are than the grumblings at Hearts and Hibs. I’m not going to mention the usual suspects, not because I’m dismissing them, but because I see us competing with Kilmarnock and Motherwell against Edinburgh for the top six/best of the bottom half. If I’m wrong about St Johnstone this coming season I’ll be as surprised as I’ll be disappointed and humbled.

To all St Johnstone fans, I apologise for comparing you to Dundee United.

Maybe not the best example but I use them as they had been a fairly consistent performer in the league for a few years before then going straight down when no one really expected it.  I take an interest and read various club's threads on here and the impression I get from St Johnstone fans is that recruitment maybe hasn't been the best and the squad looks short in 1 or 2 positions. There was also the poor Betfred Cup campaign but I don't think you can really look too much into that.

Maybe not the best example but I use them as they had been a fairly consistent performer in the league for a few years before then going straight down when no one really expected it.  I take an interest and read various club's threads on here and the impression I get from St Johnstone fans is that recruitment maybe hasn't been the best and the squad looks short in 1 or 2 positions. There was also the poor Betfred Cup campaign but I don't think you can really look too much into that.

United were/still are a basket case of a club who were racking up huge losses, Saints are the polar opposite.

Recruitment wasn’t the best you’re right, up until the final day, in which we nearly solved all the issues with the squad we had. Or at least on paper, who knows about the actual playing side of things. I think many are a lot happier having actually done some decent business and given the inevitable awful start we usually have and the way the fixtures played out, we were never likely to be in the top half that’s for sure after them!

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Quite right. 

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think that there's been a lot of moaning that we're not where we want to be but although it might not seem that important, the signing of Jason Holt has I think made a lot of folk feel a bit better. That's because fans have been crying out for a holding midfielder and it didn't seem to be a priority for the manager. May was a big deal but the fact it dragged out just created frustration with the club which unfortunately coincided with some rank football.

We're still short a LB/CB but we're fine. 

Probably.

• 2 months later...

Straw clutching at its finest, but bottom six form guide over the past 5 matches.  Top of the league...      🤗

W  D  L     F  A     GD   Pts

St Johnstone           2  1   2     6   9      -3      7

St Mirren                    2  0   3     6   9      -3      6

Hearts                         1  2   2    5   9      -4       5

Hamilton                   0   2   3    7   11    -4       2

Livingston                 0   2   3    3  10    -7       2

Ross County            0   2   3    6  13    -7       2

ETA -  Worth pointing out that only Saints haven't played either of the OF teams in their past 5. Livi have played both cheeks, the other 4 have played one of them.  

Edited by PauloPerth

Untitled.png.63375578b447ae4b4a1676aca556eb2c.png

Tight as f**k. Hibs are safe but had to include them due to the points tallies. December is a huge month which will likely make things more obvious.

Fixtures that take us to the Winter break are...

Hibernian

Spoiler

v St Mirren (a)

v Kilmarnock (h)

v County (a)

v Aberdeen (h)

v Celtic (a)

v Rangers (h)

v Hearts (a)

v Livingston (a)

Ross County

Spoiler

v Celtic (h)

v Hibernian (h)

v Kilmarnock (h)

v Livingston (a)

v Motherwell (h)

v St Johnstone (a)

Livingston

Spoiler

v Hamilton (h)

v Hearts (a)

v Kilmarnock (h)

v St Mirren (a)

v Ross County (h)

v Aberdeen (a)

v Hibernian (h)

Hearts

Spoiler

v Rangers (a)

v Livingston (h)

v Motherwell (a)

v St Johnstone (h)

v Celtic (h)

v Hamilton (a)

v Hibernian (h)

v Aberdeen (h)

St Mirren

Spoiler

v Hibernian (h)

v Aberdeen (a)

v Motherwell (h)

v Hamilton (a)

v Livingston (h)

v St Johnstone (a)

v Celtic (h)

v Kilmarnock (h)

Hamilton

Spoiler

v Livingston (a)

v Celtic (a)

v St Mirren (h)

v Aberdeen (a)

v Hearts (h)

v St Johnstone (h)

v Motherwell (a)

St Johnstone

Spoiler

v Motherwell (a)

v Kilmarnock (a)

v Hearts (a)

v St Mirren (h)

v Hamilton (a)

v Ross County (h)

From our point of view, its a bit shite. First three are all NAP losses, then we go into three massive fixtures with zero confidence.

Lot more confident than I was a month ago as Rice seems to have realised the likes of Fon Williams / Hughes etc are not up to it and with players coming back we should get there eventually.

The change in style to a more attacking formation is the reason for my optimism as Miller and Smith can nick goals out of nowhere(despite a sitter yesterday) and Big Steve Davies does a great job leading the line.

Now,if only we could cut out the red cards,we would make it a whole lot easier.

If we beat Hibs on Tuesday we will be up to 7th [emoji846]

We are basically two different teams, the home St Mirren and the away St Mirren.

At home, played 6, won 3, drew 2, lost 1. The 6th best home record in the league, despite the fact some others have played 7 or 8 home games. The one loss was 1-0 to Rangers. Away from home, played 7... lost 7.

Clear where the problem lies then. Least the game on Tuesday is at home...

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Untitled.png.63375578b447ae4b4a1676aca556eb2c.png

Tight as f**k. Hibs are safe but had to include them due to the points tallies. December is a huge month which will likely make things more obvious.

I honestly don't really believe Hearts are 'in it', either; they'll make a proper appointment eventually and pull away. I also happen to think Hibs will finish third this year, albeit distantly behind Rangers and Celtic. That still leaves five clubs in the mix at the entertaining end of the league, and I reckon at least four of those will still be in significant trouble by the time March rolls around.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I honestly don't really believe Hearts are 'in it', either; they'll make a proper appointment eventually and pull away. I also happen to think Hibs will finish third this year, albeit distantly behind Rangers and Celtic. That still leaves five clubs in the mix at the entertaining end of the league, and I reckon at least four of those will still be in significant trouble by the time March rolls around.

I think by Ross County and Hearts seem to have the hardest run in to the break. The rest probably depends on what happens with them v us in those final 3 games.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

If we beat Hibs on Tuesday we will be up to 7th emoji846.png

We are basically two different teams, the home St Mirren and the away St Mirren.

At home, played 6, won 3, drew 2, lost 1. The 6th best home record in the league, despite the fact some others have played 7 or 8 home games. The one loss was 1-0 to Rangers. Away from home, played 7... lost 7.

Clear where the problem lies then. Least the game on Tuesday is at home...

Its quite staggering.

Does he set the team up in a markedly different manner at home?

12 hours ago, Lex said:

HOME

Spoiler

Untitled.png.0fef77f26488ab95c8f4e07777ba58dd.png

AWAY

Spoiler

Untitled.png.876e143a5706221fe7c2a3ea7fcc5d00.png

Funny old game, Scottish football.

7 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

For nothing other than reasons of bitterness and patter, I hope Hearts somehow get relegated.

They need their manager, and defensive players back, soon, or its a genuine idea they'll start losing ground to all but the dross (us). The run of games until the break...

v Rangers (a)

v Livingston (h)

v Motherwell (a)

v St Johnstone (h)

v Celtic (h)

v Hamilton (a)

v Hibernian (h)

v Aberdeen (h)

... looks pretty fucking brutal for them. Livingston, us and Hamilton the only ones you'd really give them much chance with at the moment, obviously derbies can go either way. 

Would it be a shock if they only pick up 6 points from that?

Untitled.png.5c0e6d369f2618342325a17bf15d8679.png

Think we can all agree that Hibs are now out the running. Genuinely just realised how bad Countys goal difference is.

Untitled.png.155b1bcb1720962ce3b4b67bc02248f4.png

Livingston v Hamilton the stand out tie

Untitled.png.9cb119753f87765cac11c86b1d37d63d.png

A frankly disgustingly shite collection of sides. This St Johnstone defence is one of the worst I've ever seen at this level, yet there we are, within 3 points of five other sides. 

Untitled.png.31e5a71a60d5e12517e6f1500f2a7778.png

NAP losses for Hamilton and St Johnstone. Hearts v Livingston the big one. Can fully see this becoming the stage where teams start to pull away from St Johnstone. St Mirren and Hearts wins, which are fully possible, would have all but Hamilton 3 points clear. The weekend then see Hamilton v St Mirren. Hamilton win that and theres your 4 point gap for them too.

Edited by RandomGuy.