Albion Rovers v The Binos

I was at the game v Brechin last weekend and while Rovers started the game pretty well they were dreadful in the second half. For some inexplicable reason they resorted to humping long balls up the park and their attacking threat pretty much disappeared when they did that. Their defence looked ropey any time it was pressurised too. Hopefully tomorrow they will try and keep the ball on the deck a bit more as they put together one or two good moves playing that way. The goal they had chopped off was a lovely wee move. 

Not making any predictions but hoping the Rovers can get back to winning ways. 

55 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Not a game for the purists it has to be said.

You can say that again, 3 men off 2 Stirling, 1 Rovers, KR sent to the stand. Game ruined by ref who to put it mildly had a nightmare. First half Stirling were the better team and should have been more than 1 up. Nicolls sending off did not see it but was told it was high and dangerous. 

Second half only 3 mins old and the ref gives a penalty for hand ball in the box and sends another Stirling player off, now down to 9 men. Rovers score with penalty to make it 1-1 and the 2 man advantage makes it difficult for Stirling to do anything and its not long before Rovers go in front to make it 2-1 but even with 9 men we had chances. Rovers then had a man sent off and to make matters worse KR is sent to the stand. 

Stirling on this performance deserved something but a useless ref put paid to any chance we had with the second sending off. Winless after 5 games and bottom of the table with no points but we are not out of it, being beaten by the odd goal in each occasion. We need to regroup and hopefully we have players back from injury to take the places of those sent off today. Bikey when he came on showed glimpses of what he can do. Another defeat but a much better performance from Stirling than previous games.

14 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Not a game for the purists it has to be said.

Master of the understatement! My first look at the Rovers this season and, frankly, it was awful. I've never before come away from a victory feeling deflated. Stirling went ahead with a tame shot that seemed to go under or through Goodfellow. Whilst the Binos will be aggrieved at their red card decisions, I think both were correct. Nicol's challenge was dirty and dangerous and the other was stopping a goal bound effort with a hand. Graham was perhaps lucky to stay on after appearing to be reckless in an aerial challenge.

Rovers attempts to break down the nine men were pathetic. I thought Stirling were going to score in that second half. Then our players resorting to feigning injury to run the clock down: embarrassing. Glad of the points putting us 7 clear of bottom, so that's us safe, isn't it?

Edited by Bold Rover
Error

34 minutes ago, rhliston said:

You can say that again, 3 men off 2 Stirling, 1 Rovers, KR sent to the stand. Game ruined by ref who to put it mildly had a nightmare. First half Stirling were the better team and should have been more than 1 up. Nicolls sending off did not see it but was told it was high and dangerous. 

Second half only 3 mins old and the ref gives a penalty for hand ball in the box and sends another Stirling player off, now down to 9 men. Rovers score with penalty to make it 1-1 and the 2 man advantage makes it difficult for Stirling to do anything and its not long before Rovers go in front to make it 2-1 but even with 9 men we had chances. Rovers then had a man sent off and to make matters worse KR is sent to the stand. 

Stirling on this performance deserved something but a useless ref put paid to any chance we had with the second sending off. Winless after 5 games and bottom of the table with no points but we are not out of it, being beaten by the odd goal in each occasion. We need to regroup and hopefully we have players back from injury to take the places of those sent off today. Bikey when he came on showed glimpses of what he can do. Another defeat but a much better performance from Stirling than previous games.

Only thing to add to this is that Rovers should have had a player sent off for the deliberate elbow on Danny Jardine.

Oh, and epic time wasting by Rovers even when it was 12 v 9

All 4 red cards merited in my opinion

1st is a terrible challenge high over the ball

2nd the player has made a save any keeper would be proud of

3rd rovers player received 2nd yellow

Stirling manager clearly told the ref where to go, and btw waited in the tunnel for him had to be restrained at full time hopefully included in the report by the ref, I do however understand why he was upset as he is now a midges eyelash off being sacked

My favourite moment was the Stirling player sitting in the stand trying to slag rovers fans at full time, his team have lost 5 in a row and he cant even get into the matchday squad

4 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Stirling manager clearly told the ref where to go, and btw waited in the tunnel for him had to be restrained at full time hopefully included in the report by the ref, I do however understand why he was upset as he is now a midges eyelash off being sacked

My favourite moment was the Stirling player sitting in the stand trying to slag rovers fans at full time, his team have lost 5 in a row and he cant even get into the matchday squad

Probably a stupid question stats say 3 reds assume Stirling Manager also shown red? as Reds/Yellows for officials do not count as formal sanctions rather more symbolic gestures.

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

Only thing to add to this is that Rovers should have had a player sent off for the deliberate elbow on Danny Jardine.

Oh, and epic time wasting by Rovers even when it was 12 v 9

Also Rovers player should have had a red card not a yellow for pulling back Josh Peters when clear for a goal chance in the 1st half 

4 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
43 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:
Probably a stupid question stats say 3 reds assume Stirling Manager also shown red? as Reds/Yellows for officials do not count as formal sanctions rather more symbolic gestures.

The End Sacked

Again I guess another inane question are you saying that KR has been relieved of his duties at Stirling Albion as no official communications confirming ?

Yes from start of this season in scotland coaching staff are shown yellow and red cards same as players, if the culprit cant be identified it's the manager that takes the blame

Alot of sour grapes from Stirling fans here, what about him or him.

Need to look at your team here, you have a more than decent squad, one which should be top half come end of season, but are sitting 0 points from 5 games, why are you not saying we were really bad we lost the lead v a very poor Albion rovers team

Alot of sour grapes from Stirling fans here, what about him or him.

Need to look at your team here, you have a more than decent squad, one which should be top half come end of season, but are sitting 0 points from 5 games, why are you not saying we were really bad we lost the lead v a very poor Albion rovers team

Not sour grapes, our lead was lost to a very poor refereeing decision re the penalty for the alleged handball incident in the box which led to your goal and we had a man sent off as well. Even with 9 men we still had a couple of chances but the very poor Albion Rovers team managed to get another goal due to having 2 men extra for most of the 2nd half.

I wasn’t at the game but watched the footage posted by Colin Woodward on Twitter.

Nicoll’s Red is a stonewaller, straight leg and although the intent was to win the ball, it’s dangerous and he deserved to walk. I’m surprised that some people see it differently.

McLean’s handball, new or old rules, it doesn’t matter as his arm is in an unnatural position so penalty and a yellow card.

Oh dear, who was that? Although, to be fair it could of been a number of our players who are injured or suspended and would have played if available.