Succession

Detournement

In any other programme, Kendall - a mega rich egomaniac with delusions of grandeur and a propensity to use and back stab people at the drop of a hat - would be the super villain, Lex Luthor esque, but in this, he’s the most sympathetic character. Just an absolutely incredible show. That was just a solid hour of everyone being abysmal, and I doubt I could have enjoyed it more, even though it was pretty much emotionally exhausting. A bit like Uncut Gems, but more a barrage of misery as opposed to sensory overload.

Tom’s face turn is imminent, and I for one will celebrate wildly when it happens.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tom tipping Gregs desk over was brilliant. As was the tunnel of conpliments.

Aye the tunnel of compliments just showed how fucked up Tom has become by being a social climber. Greg is still fairly normal but Tom is a paranoid, depressed maniac. He also tried to drag Greg down with his own insecurities when he saw Greg trying to make himself happy. Kendall did exactly the same later on as well.

This episode reminded me of Tony Soprano's dreams or the various hallucination episodes of Mad Men. Succession did the same sort of thing but kept it based in reality because their world is so fucked up Kendall can hire a conference centre and actually build his own mind palace and it feels accurate. 

Edited by Detournement

On 17/11/2021 at 19:42, DrewDon said:

Big fan of Jesse Armstrong working in so many subtle Peep Show references. Logan dropping a "shitmunchers" in the most recent episode, and there was also a Stefan Strauss in S2 being two of the more obvious examples. 

Thank God someone else has mentioned this, I've mentioned the Stefan Strauss thing here and the peep show thread and no one else seemed to have noticed. Think it's maybe the same actor too 

The Kendall and Logan dinner was just an absolute chef’s kiss from start to finish. Getting his grandson to check his food in case he’d been poisoned ffs [emoji23]

Shiv is an absolute horror generally, but she was monsterous in every scene in that episode. Counting the seconds until she inevitably makes a c**t of it again and big dick Wambsgans finally sends her packing.

Burst out laughing at Logan opening the dick pic, asking if Matsson was a “seat sniffer” (Peep Show FTW) and Connor describing the pope as “very religious”. An utterly fantastic episode of television.

Roman should be red like a dangerous lizard [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Shiv and Toms relationship is just fantastically toxic, and EVERYONE in this plays their roles to a fucking T.

If they can get this to 4 or 5 seasons with a knockout ending, it goes into my top 2 or of all time, with potential for top stop.

Just amazing, fascinating tv.

Roman's face after he realised what happened was priceless. 

Last week we saw Kendall taking his own insecurities out on Greg saying he was a leech on his family and this week we got Shiv replicating her mother's behaviour with Tom being the victim. Roman being naturally the weirdest has his neuroses locked away - he described it to Gerri as a box full of dicks - but I think he's going to meltdown in the next two episodes. 

Logan describing himself as a revolutionary was very interesting. I get the feeling the next season is going to be more explicitly political and focussed on the Presidential election. 

Kendall's adopted daughter being ignored by her gran was a quietly brutal moment.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Roman's face after he realised what happened was priceless. 

Last week we saw Kendall taking his own insecurities out on Greg saying he was a leech on his family and this week we got Shiv replicating her mother's behaviour with Tom being the victim. Roman being naturally the weirdest has his neuroses locked away - he described it to Gerri as a box full of dicks - but I think he's going to meltdown in the next two episodes. 

Logan describing himself as a revolutionary was very interesting. I get the feeling the next season is going to be more explicitly political and focussed on the Presidential election. 

Kendall's adopted daughter being ignored by her gran was a quietly brutal moment.

There’s only one episode left btw. 

Filming during covid has undoubtedly affected this season a lot, the location changes let them do so much both visually and from a momentum point of view so good to see that this episode.

Bit disappointed with the season as a whole with an episode to go tbh, especially if we are heading into a season finale where it looks like the options with Kendall's story are either a big twist (just like season 2) or a traumatized re entry to the fold (season 1). Maybe Gerri will go public and that will reinvigorate that storyline.

There's been so much potential in Greg and Tom's stories which hasn't really been made most of (very, very disappointed we've seen so little of Cromwell and Reigert, that would've been superb) other than Tom's prison terror.

Shiv truly is vile, one of her and Roman will be broken by the end of the season surely, not by trying to fill Logan's shoes but Kendall's. Logan's conversation with Kendall was interesting, a vainglorious man hiding behind straightforwardness. 

Very good profile on Jeremy Strong here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/on-succession-jeremy-strong-doesnt-get-the-joke

Tom’s face turn is imminent, and I for one will celebrate wildly when it happens.

OR FUCKING NOT!!!!!

What an ending. Jaw genuinely dropped when Wambsgans appeared in the doorway, then burst out laughing at how good it was. Tom fucking over Shiv in some way has been foreshadowed for ages, but did not see that coming.

What an episode. The intervention, Willa agreeing to marry Connor and immediately regretting it, Gregg going full split personality to keep the girls keen, the discussion about Logan trying to reignite his sperm, all so, so good. Kendall breaking down and confessing to killing the waiter was just amazing though. This season has seen some of the best acting you’ll ever see from Jeremy Strong. Although in saying that, the whole cast are just excellent.

Only negative now is having to wait a year or more for it to come back. What a show.