FM 2020

ajwffc

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

How is the Beta? I'm in a Football Manager mood and tempted to get it today but also know that maybe the sensible thing to do is wait until the full release. In general how is it looking?

I'm enjoying it, only negative is I cant run 3d matches, but 2d can help you see more tactically sometimes.

I'm struggling with Saints, but due to matching the club vision with other things, I've not been sacked yet and I can see why.

Same with players, I've not had a single moan about a lack of game time yet, you can see quite easily who wants what game time and can work around it. Being able to get younger players by promising them a pathway is helpful too.

I started a save with Hearts, to see if I could do better than Levein. My only acquisition has been Alan Forrest from Ayr.

I topped the Betfred Cup group while playing a narrow 4231 with Walker, Forrest and Clare playing behind the striker and drew 1-1 at Ibrox in my first league game with Washington netting the opener.

I started out with a wide 4231 but it didn't seem very effective so changed it to allow Walker, Forrest and Clare to play more in-field.

Started as Saints and after selling Jim Kellerman and Ryan Flynn, I've brought in Harvie from Ayr, Cammy Smith on loan from Dundee Utd and two loan forwards in the shape of Adam Idah from Norwich and Flavio Junior Bianchi from Genoa.

The latter of whom has banged in 4 in his first two league cup games.

There are a few things which are excellent in the new edition.

Signed Jonny Hayes on loan - because this was outside the norm, I had to justify to Board, they agreed and completed the deal for me.

Injured after his first game though....

One frustration is the amount of friendlies, when you have EL Qualifiers. OK if they are small teams, but when have AFC ever had a pre season schedule of Rennes, Zaragoza and Olympiakos at home ???? Obviously had to cancel as they clashed with qualifiers.

On 02/11/2019 at 02:05, RandomGuy. said:

372932618_St.Johnstone_Fixtures.thumb.png.ca26ae8e30cd43b6fe2e3cb871fd38e3.png

A lesson in why you should never give up. A tactical tweak here, and a tactical tweak there, and suddenly we catch fire and I get players scoring.

This. I was winless in the first four league matches before a few tweaks brought me four wins on the spin, including a 3-2 win over Celtic.

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

There are a few things which are excellent in the new edition.

This. The playing time changes look really good, in particular.

Im still not seeing much change in the match engine, although the keepers do look better. Finding both sides hitting the bar a lot and, incredibly frustratingly, players having shots from ridiculously tight angles when a square ball would result in a tap in.

Struggling to find a tactic that works with Queens, but possibly because, on paper, the squad just isnt that strong and is pretty imbalanced.

Finished 9th in my first season at Saints. Had a frankly insane 11 game run without winning a league game (how unrealistic...) in September/October/November, but somehow made it to the League Cup Final after beating Rangers in the Semis on penalties. 

Tactical tweak saw me go on a winning run that dragged me up the league, before yet another long winless run (think it was 9 this time) around March time brought me close to the drop again. My final four pre-split fixtures were Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell. Blew everyone away after the split thankfully to keep myself nice and safe.

I sort of know I wont be making the end of next season, the board are wanting a top half finish and I was miles off that last season.

Budgets dropped aswell. Managed to get Ralston on loan again, and Holt is signed permanently. Got a CB Alfie Jones on a PCA from Southampton as Gordon was a bit hit and miss. Only other signing was a young Spurs midfielder called Jamie Bowden. Had him loan and made it permanent PCA not long after, quality as a holding midfielder despite his age. Anderson, Vihmann, Swanson and Kane all left. No budget left for anything else, so itll be the same again this season I think, but with higher expectations I cant match.

Ach well.

I've played 4 league games as Saints. 

Hamilton (H) 7-0

St. Johnstone (A) 1-1

Hibs (H) 4-0

Livi (H) 2-1

Amazingly the Hamilton game isn't even the biggest win, with Aberdeen turning Livingston over 8-0 in week 2.

Fully expect my run to end soon though.

Won't be getting this until the Stadia pack is confirmed price-wise. 

Sounds like (except for Chapsticks) the usual starting problem of the team having 0 chemistry and trying to play a thousand friendly matches before the campaign starts to try improve the teamwork and tactics scores? 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Won't be getting this until the Stadia pack is confirmed price-wise. 

Sounds like (except for Chapsticks) the usual starting problem of the team having 0 chemistry and trying to play a thousand friendly matches before the campaign starts to try improve the teamwork and tactics scores? 

Liam Craig and Murray Davidson started off with an on pitch relationship for me, dont know about other clubs.

I won my first couple of games too but then went on a dreadful run, takes a while to nail tactics down.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Craig and Murray Davidson started off with an on pitch relationship for me, dont know about other clubs.

I won my first couple of games too but then went on a dreadful run, takes a while to nail tactics down.

Starting with good team chemistry and some green-lined relationships on the tactics board would be good. Part of the reason my Kelty team is so successful is that my squad has played together so much that they work brilliantly together, same with the tactics it's rarely changed except for the odd game here and there. At the start, it was fine because of how shite the EoS league is, and the few players I signed rolled everyone over, but I've started games higher up and it's almost impossible to start well without these traits. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Starting with good team chemistry and some green-lined relationships on the tactics board would be good. Part of the reason my Kelty team is so successful is that my squad has played together so much that they work brilliantly together, same with the tactics it's rarely changed except for the odd game here and there. At the start, it was fine because of how shite the EoS league is, and the few players I signed rolled everyone over, but I've started games higher up and it's almost impossible to start well without these traits. 

I've went a full season without a single new relationship line showing...

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:12, Mr X said:

players having shots from ridiculously tight angles when a square ball would result in a tap in.

This is really annoying me. 

Enjoying it on the whole, look forward to ripping the arse out of it for the next 4/5 months then playing nothing until FM21.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Hiya John Hughes! 

That's with my LB and LM and two CBs playing pretty much every game together :lol: hopefully just a display error.