FM 2020

ajwffc

Not far from getting season 3 started. Happy with my business so far:

IN: Andy Considine (Aberdeen, free), Shay Logan (Aberdeen, free), Robbie Benson (St Patricks, £105k), Jordan Flores (Dundalk, £150k), Jordan Ponticelli (Coventry, free), Dan Jones (Salford, free), Jordan Turnbull (Northampton, free), Zach Clough (Nottingham Forest, free).

OUT: Paul Dixon (Retired), Morgaro Gomis, Josh Todd, Ian McShane (all released), Josh Meekings (Rochdale, free), Conor Sammon (Arbroath, free)

Happy with the team, also picked up a few cheap regens from lower league clubs for my reserve team. One of which, a right back I poached from Dunfermline, has 4 star potential.

17 games into my first season with Palermo in Serie C and my top scorer is my wing back with 4 goals. We are doing well, in 5th place 3 points off top but can’t seem to get my strikers scoring on a regular basis.

On 07/07/2020 at 21:43, PB1994 said:

17 games into my first season with Palermo in Serie C and my top scorer is my wing back with 4 goals. We are doing well, in 5th place 3 points off top but can’t seem to get my strikers scoring on a regular basis.

I find strikers pretty shite on FM20. It's always a CM who ends up my top scorer.

Cba typing up like the rest of my posts but completed season 3 with Falkirk. Finished 8th in my first season back in the top flight. We were in and around the European places right up til the winter break but we dipped massively and settled for 8th. Lost to Celtic in the Scottish Cup quarters and got knocked out the League Cup quarters on penalties by St Johnstone.

Biggest frustration with Falkirk has been the lack of youth academy. I haven't had any youngsters through at all so have had to resort to scouting all the youth intake at other clubs. A few of them have a lot of potential, and 3 of them I've promoted to the first team ahead of the new season, with another few not far away. Despite the fact we have no youth academy, and they're not willing to reopen it for me, they have decided that a new stadium is required and are looking for investment to draw up blueprints.

I'll be honest, I never had any long term aspirations with Falkirk other than to get them back to the top flight and see what I could do. I'm looking to turn this into a bit of a journeyman save so after 3 seasons at the club, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keeping an eye on available jobs. I've only been offered 1 so far and it was St Johnstone. Immediately knocked them back and 4 days later, gubbed them 4-2. :D 

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

I find strikers pretty shite on FM20. It's always a CM who ends up my top scorer.

It did get better as the season went on. My 2 main strikers are comfortably my top scores on about 13 but it’s still not great. They have been outshone by a 17 year old I gave a shot towards the end of the season who now has about 8 in 8 games so he is leading my promotion playoff charge despite only playing in 2 league games the entire season.

Lasted 6 games of the new league season with Falkirk and packed in. Lost 5 of them and decided maybe time for a new challenge. Spent a few months applying, and failing for jobs before an offer finally landed on my lap, Grimsby Town. 8th in League Two and in the 2nd round of the FA Cup so that enticed me  a bit. Although shortly after taking over, I get messages from Wigan, Bolton and Shamrock Rovers, who I'd also applied for, saying they wanted me but as I'd just taken over Grimsby it wouldn't look good offering me the job. Raging.

Anyhoo, I've got Grimsby up to 4th only losing 2 of my first 8, and in the 4th round of the FA Cup so that ain't a bad start at all.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Where do you get to see the wage budgets for the whole league? I’ve seen it on a few stories posted but I can’t seem to find it.

Go into the stats tab on whatever competition you want, then team detailed and it's the very bottom one.

Took over at Raith, won the play-offs in my first season, qualified for Europe with a 5th placed finish the next. All going well. 

Raith board say they have a "desire" to challenge for silverware (which I've noted previously means you need to reach a semi-final). Knocked out of Europe in the last 16 of Euro Cup II (CSKA Moscow), knocked out at the quarter finals of the League Cup (Livingston), all I had left was the Scottish Cup QF (Celtic). I was sat 4th in the league, the Raith board gave me a new 3 year deal, I thought "ah well, pressure off for this season". 2 weeks later I play the SC QF and Celtic beat me 2-1. Raith board haul me in and tell me they're tired of my management and terminate my contract with immediate effect. Fans bemused and my coaching staff resigned in protest. 

I get that they desired silverware and losing to Livi wasn't good, but I cannot fathom handing me out a new 3 year deal if my continuation in the job was dependent on beating Celtic in the Scottish cup QF that was just about to happen. Reaching the end of my enjoyment with this game I think.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Took over at Raith, won the play-offs in my first season, qualified for Europe with a 5th placed finish the next. All going well. 

Raith board say they have a "desire" to challenge for silverware (which I've noted previously means you need to reach a semi-final). Knocked out of Europe in the last 16 of Euro Cup II (CSKA Moscow), knocked out at the quarter finals of the League Cup (Livingston), all I had left was the Scottish Cup QF (Celtic). I was sat 4th in the league, the Raith board gave me a new 3 year deal, I thought "ah well, pressure off for this season". 2 weeks later I play the SC QF and Celtic beat me 2-1. Raith board haul me in and tell me they're tired of my management and terminate my contract with immediate effect. Fans bemused and my coaching staff resigned in protest. 

I get that they desired silverware and losing to Livi wasn't good, but I cannot fathom handing me out a new 3 year deal if my continuation in the job was dependent on beating Celtic in the Scottish cup QF that was just about to happen. Reaching the end of my enjoyment with this game I think.

I feel your pain. I won League One and the Championship in my first two seasons with the Rovers. Then finished 5th in my first season in the Premiership. Next season I won the Premiership.

Following season I did struggle and was 7th in the league just missing out on the top 6. However, I finished 3rd in my Champions League group and got to the quarters of the Europa League. Got to the Scottish Cup final as well. New board take over and threaten to sack me after the split, I asked for a few more games to turn things around given what I’d done for the club (and winning the Scottish Cup would still allow me to achieve the target of qualifying for Europe), they agreed. I won the next 4 in a row and they sacked me anyway with just one league game and the Scottish Cup final still to play. Not sure the point of giving me those 4 games if winning them all still wouldn’t be enough to save my job.

On 06/07/2020 at 13:09, C. Muir said:

Been playing a Blackburn save recently while having a break from the saves I do a story on.

Going into my 2nd season in charge (3rd season of the save altogether, holidayed the 1st season and took over at the end of that), signed a good squad up after a lot of departures in the summer, local derby away to Preston to start.

"Right into them from the start lads, but channel our discipline at the same time. Important to keep 11 men on"

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.60bf973b67ae66a84a3d2424ef1056bb.png

Those are rookie numbers....

7F6941E6-CA39-4BC5-9BA3-1373BE70CDF8.jpeg

Accidentally posted this in the 2019 thread. Has anyone ever been in a position where they don’t want to get promoted, as daft as it sounds?

I am coming to the end of my second season in charge, first year finished 4th in Serie C and ended up winning the playoffs which were a ridiculous 9 games long, where I’m 2 points off second with 3 games to go. I’d been planning for another season in Serie C so there was a major overhaul at the start of the season and I have a great squad of Serie B but we have maybe 3 players who could make the step up.

We are in the red by a few hundred grand, have the lowest wage budget in the league and by far the lowest sponsorshipdeals (£160k a year compared to the next best which is over a million). I will go for promotion obviously but I just think it would be an absolute disaster compared to spending at leastanother year to build a squad that could compete in Serie A.

Went into the final game 2nd based on the head to head record. Playing away to 17th in the table while 3rd were away to 18th. 17th and 18th were battling to avoid the last relegation spot. We completely bottled it, 1 down in the 41st minute, down to 10 men in the 43rd and then 2 down by the 49th min. 3rd place finish it is then and another attempt at the playoffs.

Never wanted to miss a promotion but certainly had seasons where I got an unexpected promotion and badly over estimated the quality of the team I came up with. Even if you're lucky enough to keep yer job after a relegation the team's confidence is shot to f**k and bouncing right back is impossible with the same players.

Third season as Fiorentina as we prepared to take on the Champions League.

We managed to beat Spurs 7-1 at home (lol) and Barcelona 3-0. I lost the away fixtures in both -  but a solid win at home and a draw in Russia saw us through to the last 16.

345289267_Screenshot2020-07-02at20_12_28.png.0477f389ca2faee2b09853c8cdc1d0a0.png

We faced off against PSG and a deserved 1-1 draw at the Artemio Franchi. Mbappe scored early but Cutrone pegged them back immediately. We scored our second away goal early in the second half thanks again to Cutrone, PSG equalised later in he half, but that was enough to take us to the quarter finals where we faced...

Manchester United. The team who knocked us out of the Europe League at the same stage last year. We took a 2-1 win to Old Trafford but sadly that wasn't enough as the Europa League winners (and eventual Champions League finalists) beat us 2-0. Better results than last time but we were knocked out.

Thankfully we won the league at a fucking canter haha.

742772624_Screenshot2020-07-13at23_19_21.png.3f95464906e31ff786b6288d9aa118ed.png

Absolute scenes.

Didn't expect that whatsoever. We somehow managed to pull ahead of the pack and were 14 points clear by the time we were knocked out. I really don't understand how we managed to lose just the one game, a shitty 2-0 loss away to Torino. We played an enthralling 4-3 away win to Juventus which was the first win away to the bitter rivals. I have a really young squad so I'm surprised at how well they managed to cope.

1392921991_Screenshot2020-07-16at17_08_46.thumb.png.622818f12fce41520323ce3794570ab8.png1029752565_Screenshot2020-07-16at17_09_15.thumb.png.d4e22d45e9fc3f6a8bbefd2c7e1a5584.png

A few of those are new signings. I brought in Timothe Laurent from Liege for £23m, I think he's the regen Kompany, and Dominguez for £21m, who was the POTY for the league last year at Bologna (who have lost all 6 of their best players). Carles Alena and Salcedo came in for free. Florschutz got relegated with Stuttgart and cost me £2.1m. My plan is to bring in Alphonse Davies in for free in the summer and I think my squad is pretty much complete!

6 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Never wanted to miss a promotion but certainly had seasons where I got an unexpected promotion and badly over estimated the quality of the team I came up with. Even if you're lucky enough to keep yer job after a relegation the team's confidence is shot to f**k and bouncing right back is impossible with the same players.

I will be trying my best to go up and will just have to deal with the situation as best I can. I think this is one of the only times I wouldn’t be overly bothered about not getting promoted as I see that as the best way of building a squad that can stay up in a year or so.

8 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Accidentally posted this in the 2019 thread. Has anyone ever been in a position where they don’t want to get promoted, as daft as it sounds?

I am coming to the end of my second season in charge, first year finished 4th in Serie C and ended up winning the playoffs which were a ridiculous 9 games long, where I’m 2 points off second with 3 games to go. I’d been planning for another season in Serie C so there was a major overhaul at the start of the season and I have a great squad of Serie B but we have maybe 3 players who could make the step up.

We are in the red by a few hundred grand, have the lowest wage budget in the league and by far the lowest sponsorshipdeals (£160k a year compared to the next best which is over a million). I will go for promotion obviously but I just think it would be an absolute disaster compared to spending at leastanother year to build a squad that could compete in Serie A.

Went into the final game 2nd based on the head to head record. Playing away to 17th in the table while 3rd were away to 18th. 17th and 18th were battling to avoid the last relegation spot. We completely bottled it, 1 down in the 41st minute, down to 10 men in the 43rd and then 2 down by the 49th min. 3rd place finish it is then and another attempt at the playoffs.

I feel your pain. I rarely get promoted as I usually go as useless teams, but I tried a a game in Iceland at a team called Magni, who looked utterly hopeless but I somehow got promoted first season as everyone else in the league was also atrocious. I am in the top division getting tiny crowds, pissing money away and my squad is fucking terrible. I cannot buy a win in the top league and my players all hate me. Christ knows how I haven't been sacked yet, but it's only a matter of time. I'd have been far better off not going up, as I still would have surpassed expectations and it would have given me a chance to consolidate.

Italian playoffs are bizarre. Got through to the playoff final. A 2 legged affair against Empoli, who I had lost 2 and drawn 1 in the previous league/cup games.

First leg finishes 1-1. Empoli took the lead and a second half penalty levelled things up going into the second leg.

Second game plays out the same. Empoli go in front but we get back level with a penalty. Full time whistle goes and was all ready for extra time. No need for that though, I’ve been promoted as I finished above them in the league 😂. Really weird as Empoli had a corner in the last 10 seconds and they were time wasting.

Oh well, Serie A here we come.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

When I get in that situation just always make sure the relegation wage decrease is higher than the promotion wage increase.

14 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I feel your pain. I rarely get promoted as I usually go as useless teams, but I tried a a game in Iceland at a team called Magni, who looked utterly hopeless but I somehow got promoted first season as everyone else in the league was also atrocious. I am in the top division getting tiny crowds, pissing money away and my squad is fucking terrible. I cannot buy a win in the top league and my players all hate me. Christ knows how I haven't been sacked yet, but it's only a matter of time. I'd have been far better off not going up, as I still would have surpassed expectations and it would have given me a chance to consolidate.

I love going shite teams. Just the good feeling of doing something good for them. Sadly dosnt happen an awful lot of time.