FM 2020

ajwffc

45 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’ve had that too. Also for a CB who can also play DM. He has been at the club for 4 years and every game he has played is at CB.

The worst version of this is any player who can play up front alongside their proper position, and getting asked about their “long run without scoring” even though they’ve been playing exclusively at left back for 3 or 4 years. 

On 17/07/2020 at 09:48, RandomGuy. said:

Some effort keeping Chiesa for this long.

My main inspiration for choosing Fiorentina. I don't think he'll be a one-club player for much longer to be honest but he's one of the few kicking around just now with so much potential. He's been there since 2007.. Pretty much just made him the captain and told him I love him at every opportunity. Chelsea keep offering £70m but he's not even interested.

On 08/08/2020 at 22:00, PB1994 said:

Not sure if this happens for anybody else? I always seem to get a ridiculously tough run of games. Every year I always seem to get a run of 4 or so games where I play the big 6 (Inter, Roma, Lazio, AC, Napoli, Juventus). It doesn’t really bother me as it means you get a great run against everybody else.

Happens for me in Serie A too. I quite like it. It's a pain in the arse at the time but I'm really grateful at the end of the season when I'm scudding Frosinone and Brescia, meanwhile Inter and Napoli are playing each other.

1462807556_Screenshot2020-08-06at15_20_41.thumb.png.1f1f1672489bc626d7ec776c89973fe0.png

Two years in a row. Our only loss this year was a 1-0 defeat away to Verona, putting them and Torino on my hate list. Juventus were 4th and 17 points behind Napoli. Cristiano Ronaldo was still top goalscorer.

Managed to reach the semi-finals of the Champion's League this year. Drew 1-1 away to Man City but couldn't take any of our chances at home and lost two late goals at home. Furthest we have went in the competition. I would be looking to reach the final this year for certain, our squad is still very young but I would have confidence in us winning the competition. I probably need to be better at changing my tactics tbh.

Signed Alphonse Davies, Hannibal Mejbri and Ferran Torres on free transfers and Gouriri (now on loan) and Nkunku for £15m and £12m respectively. Managed to punt Pulgar on loan to Milan and will get £20m for him at the end of the season with one year left on his deal. Mugs.

Edited by Smurph

38 minutes ago, Smurph said:

Happens for me in Serie A too. I quite like it. It's a pain in the arse at the time but I'm really grateful at the end of the season when I'm scudding Frosinone and Brescia, meanwhile Inter and Napoli are playing each other.

1462807556_Screenshot2020-08-06at15_20_41.thumb.png.1f1f1672489bc626d7ec776c89973fe0.png

Two years in a row. Our only loss this year was a 1-0 defeat away to Verona, putting them and Torino on my hate list. Juventus were 4th and 17 points behind Napoli. Cristiano Ronaldo was still top goalscorer.

Managed to reach the semi-finals of the Champion's League this year. Drew 1-1 away to Man City but couldn't take any of our chances at home and lost two late goals at home. Furthest we have went in the competition. I would be looking to reach the final this year for certain, our squad is still very young but I would have confidence in us winning the competition. I probably need to be better at changing my tactics tbh.

Signed Alphonse Davies, Hannibal Mejbri and Ferran Torres on free transfers and Gouriri (now on loan) and Nkunku for £15m and £12m respectively. Managed to punt Pulgar on loan to Milan and will get £20m for him at the end of the season with one year left on his deal. Mugs.

The run always seems to come at the start of the season so it gets the media and the stupid social feed going crazy as I am down in 15th or so in the table. It’s the constant media questions that annoys me most about it. I know full well I’m going to get a few defeats in a row and then go on a good run against the teams that are fighting to stay up.

Mejbri is a baller. I had him on loan in Serie B and he was my top scorer as a attacking Mezzala. Funnily enough he ended up going to Fiorentina on a Bosman too. I wasn’t able to offer him a deal as I was still under the stupid wage cap they have of not being able to off over £5k a week in the lower leagues.

When everyone is setting up their scouting assignments, do you set them to look for players who fit in your formation?

Thats what I have done but for example I always get strikers who are advanced forwards, which is great as I play with one, but I play 2 up top and never seem to get my scouts recommending a striker who could play in a different role.

Its the same with DM/CMs, I always get deep lying playmakers and not much else. Not much use when you have 2 other roles to fill.

Some effort for our first year in Europe. I played a second string away to Anderlecht and destroyed them which lead me to the same against Nice, which was a mistake. Went more or less full strength at home to Beşiktaş and we were 3-1 up and comfortable until I took a few youngsters on and again we were punished.  I learned from my mistakes in the away game and 2-0 was a bit flattering of them our first 11 form them apart. Another second string against Anderlecht had us safely through to the 1st knockout round. Nothing to play for in the last game so the reserves again got a run out away to Nice. I will learn to take every game seriously the next time we are in that competition as finishing top means you miss out a round. The first and second knockout rounds are all played in 4 consecutive Thursdays so it was a hell of a strain on the squad trying to compete on two fronts. 

Leipzig was a tough few games but we were fairly comfortable with their goal in the second leg coming in the 92nd minute.

I thought Arsenal would be the end of the road but a great performance at home was followed up with a somewhat remarkable away win. We managed to get an early away goal which meant Arsenal were throwing men forward for basically 75 minutes. They were also not playing their 2 first choice centre backs so we picked them off at will.

Celtic was a weird one. They are rampant in the Premiership but having looked back at their previous European results it didn’t leave me with anything to fear. Was a hard fought win at home though. The second leg doesn’t look nearly as comfortable as it was. We contained them very well in the first half and 4 minutes into the second half we went 1 up meaning they needed 3 to go through. They managed to equalise but like in the arsenal game we managed to get a winner on the break.

You can’t see the second leg of the semi final but we lost that 1-0. I never really expected to get through this round but I am so disappointed with how we went out. We conceded late in the first half of the first leg from a corner and we never really got going. I made a few tactical changes at half time to try get things going but 35 seconds into the half we go down to 10 men for a two footed lunge. Revert back to the cautious tactic straight away and try to keep it at 1. We managed until the 89th minute where they scored from another corner. A lot to do in the second leg. Far too much to do as it goes. Half an hour in its 1-0 to Man Utd with yet another goal from a corner. Right before half time we go down to 10 men again and that is that.

the most frustrating thing about those two games is we never able to have a go at them due to the sendings off, I’m not saying we would have gone through but I think we could have given them a run for their money. They didn’t look anything special, maybe that is because they never had to get out of second gear.

Only 1 spot available in the Europa League through league qualification next year, due to AC Milan winning the Italian Cup. So I have 3 games to go and I’m 1 point behind Sampdoria in 5th. Really hoping to get above them as the Conference League just really doesn’t appeal to me at all.

AC87573B-8D59-4288-B55B-358EF20EE8DC.jpeg

Neil Lennon is currently the Inter manager. I must say I’ve not done this intentionally, but he hates me for not playing a loan player enough (because he has been shite). Beat them 2-0 at home which was the first time I’d ever beaten Inter. Just before the second game at the San Siri he starts slating me in the press conference. Absolutely buzzing to come away with a 1-0 win and him saying I got under his skin which influenced his decision making 😂.

I know the press conferences are a mess but my most recent one is just a joke. I finished second in the Euro Cup 2 group so was drawn against one of the dropouts of the Europa League. They asked me how I felt going up against the lowest scorers and then the best defence when they haven’t even played in the competition.

Another thing I’ve noticed is during the game, your assistant offers advice etc which is fine. Was told I should man mark the opponents AML which I was happy to do. I thought the obvious thing to do would be to put my right wing back on him but instead they decided to put a centre mid on him. What the hell is that all about.

On 09/08/2020 at 07:24, RandomGuy. said:

Really hope they improve the algorithms for interviews in the next game, some of the questions are awful.

Don't know if you also get it, but I've a LB who is also a natural CB. He's played over 200 games for me as a LB, and not once as a CB, yet I'm constantly asked how great it is to have such a versatile player.

Like you, I have a centre half who's only ever played there but he can play DM & RB as well, I get the "Swiss Army knife" question almost every game despite him being a rock at centre half.

I hate how much is placed on your handling of the media. I only answer the wee one off questions you get about players leaving and do the tunnel interviews, everything else I hand to the assistant but no matter what I say my rating for media handling is always at the lowest. My top hate with it though is when you select the middle answer, the one that's general non-committal, and the wee w**k of a journalist says "The public will want a proper answer from you!?". Absolutely no journalist has ever said that to a manager, why is it in the game?

Started a save with Ayr on this. I romped the League Cup group, 4 wins against Livingston, Berwick, East Kilbride and Edinburgh City. Started really well in the league, after 7 games we're 2 points behind Dundee who we pumped 3-0 at Somerset first league game of the season. Beat Partick 2-1 in the next round of the cup at Firhill with 2 bantertastic goals in the last 4 minutes and draw Rangers at home.  To be fair it was an absolute shitfest, they missed loads of chances. Had a feeling when it went to extra-time we were winning it.

image.thumb.png.a546c6a49b820ae1edc9bbcef1cbb02d.png

7 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Porto forward Fabio Silva set to be announced as a Wolves player later today. Massive club record fee of around £35m for the 18-year-old 

Fm wonderkid? 

I’m 10 seasons into my save and he is excellent. He never made it at a top club for some reason though, despite have an average rating of over 7 every season.

He left Porto for Bayern for £60 million, left for Barca for around the same a year later and then again a year later he went to Lyon where he has spent the last 4 years. Scoring about 20 goals a year.

I’ve probably just conceded the most annoying goal in all my years of playing FM/CM, which is probably going on 15 years now.

Playing away to Roma who have had a flying start to the season so I set my wing backs to specifically mark the 2 wide attacking midfielders. All was going well until I had a corner. I have my 2 wing backs and my DM to stay back which is normally decent cover. This time though, the ball gets cleared away and as soon as the striker starting the counter my 2 wing backs dart forward to mark the players they were asked to, leaving it 1 on 1 which results in an easy goal.

I’m annoyed as technically they’ve done exactly what I’ve asked them to do but surely they must be a bit of common sense in those situations to have a 3 v 1 instead of a 1v 1 to mark players who are at the other end of the pitch who will have no influence on that attack.

Installed this earlier after downloading it for free from the Epic game store. Its the first FM I've played since about 2012ish (after having the FM addiction that most of us have faced).
Have to say I'm abit overwhelmed by it all, seems to options for absolutely everything nowadays and it's all abit cramped in on my laptop screen.
Will keep with it for a few days and see if I can get used to it!

14 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Installed this earlier after downloading it for free from the Epic game store. Its the first FM I've played since about 2012ish (after having the FM addiction that most of us have faced).
Have to say I'm abit overwhelmed by it all, seems to options for absolutely everything nowadays and it's all abit cramped in on my laptop screen.
Will keep with it for a few days and see if I can get used to it!

You can "turn off" most of it, if you want, under staff responsibilities. Get your assistant to handle training in particular, as its just over complicated nonsense. I usually get them to handle the pre-match briefings too, as they dont seem to have any bearing on the match whatsoever.

Anyone had it where the league registration window closes before the transfer window?  A weird glitch but in my current save with Saint-Etienne I have a guy I can't register for Ligue 1 because I completed the signing on deadline day but the registration deadline had closed that morning