FM 2020

ajwffc

22 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Accidentally posted this in the 2019 thread. Has anyone ever been in a position where they don’t want to get promoted, as daft as it sounds?

Absolutely. Nothing more heart breaking than having a great bunch of players, but then finding that theyre all out their depth and having to punt them.

Sometimes I'm honestly more than happy to be a middle of the road side with a couple of long serving heroes rather than signing regen wonderkids and winning the CL.

16 hours ago, Smurph said:

1392921991_Screenshot2020-07-16at17_08_46.thumb.png.622818f12fce41520323ce3794570ab8.png

Some effort keeping Chiesa for this long.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely. Nothing more heart breaking than having a great bunch of players, but then finding that theyre all out their depth and having to punt them.

Sometimes I'm honestly more than happy to be a middle of the road side with a couple of long serving heroes rather than signing regen wonderkids and winning the CL.

In the game I mentioned a few posts up I had to give everyone new contracts after promotion as nobody better wanted to join and I only had two players who were contracted for the following season. Seems to be that one year deals are the done thing in the Icelandic second division. None of them were good enough for the top tier.

I've just got involved this week finally first time since 17, started a save with St Pauli which I thought would be brutal but it seems to have started pretty well. 

Didn't have a big transfer budget even though there is a good wedge in the bank. 

I didn't realise I was starting with the transfer update but with the issues injury wise from the start of the season so Mats Møller Dæhli (AMC) is away without replacement and only one fit (out and out) striker for the first 3 months of the season. 

I've brought in 3 players from the smallishp budget I had available:

Alan Forrest (AML/AMC/AMR)

Daniel Harvie (DL)

Young signing from Leverkusen whose name ihave forgot  (AMC)

I didn't need Harvie but I don't rate Bullbala or Penney at left back, Bullbala I am retraining as a centre back, Penney is on loan. Young AMC is playing second choice to Forrest and is only 18 but has better potential. 

LINEUP111594981022728.thumb.png.5ebe438ea7390f07f17fa50de0f2ef31.png

This has worked awfy well, undefeated so far and three four goal wins, HSV up next. 

Early signs are that I am going to struggle to get good players to come and will need to stick to signing young (under 23) players to mould into what I need but what I have just now will see me meeting my mid table target fine, hopefully going beyond. 

Looks like my fears of being promoted too soon are becoming reality. 10 games in and rock bottom with no wins and 3 draws. Utterly outplayed in the majority of them and the few we have played well in we gift away goals. Inter and Juve up next so it’s not getting better anytime soon.

Going to be a very long year.

Finally, in the 28th league game of the season, we get our first win. A 5-0 away win against Genoa. Not a clue where that performance came from. Would like to think we can start to get a few results together but we are up against Inter and Juve in the next 2 games.

I’m in a right pickle just now. Almost a year on since the last post. We were relegated obviously but now we are comfortably top of Serie B but Parma have just offered me a job. Wage budget goes from £200k a week to £800k and an all round better squad.

That is not the problem really though, I had a save with them when they were in Serie C and took them all the way to being champions of Italy and always had a massive soft spot for them since. No idea if I should try carry on the job at Palermo or go to Parma and try and do what I have done before with them.

After taking a day to make my mind up, I decided to stay at Palermo. I got my scouts to get a team report on Parma and the rebuilding job was pretty much the same as I would need to be doing when we got promoted. I can pretty much do no wrong in the current job so thought it was the right decision to stay.

After that we managed to secure promotion, as well as winning the title, with a record points total for Serie B.

The biggest issue with Serie B is you aren’t allowed to offer contracts with wages over £5k a week. I’ve already lost a couple of targets who were out of contract due to this. My main target now is to get my star centre mid signed up on a better deal. He has a minimum release clause of £22 million and Juve are sniffing about. Really want to get to the reset date and offer him whatever he wants and hope they don’t bid before this happens.

Well, contract negotiations have been a disaster. He wants £79k a week and out best offer can be £28k. Major interest from Roma and Napoli so he will be gone for £22 million soon. On the positive, I’ll be able to build a decent squad out of that, if he leaves, but the negative is he is a star player for Serie A so pretty much irreplaceable for me.

Just now, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It does not matter how good or bad your assistant manager is, his in game suggestions are always mental. 

I flagged this as a bug on the SI forum, but it got ignored.

My assistant regularly tells me to swap my AP and Mezzala for absolutely no reason. It would put both into a more unnatural role.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I flagged this as a bug on the SI forum, but it got ignored.

My assistant regularly tells me to swap my AP and Mezzala for absolutely no reason. It would put both into a more unnatural role.

Me - A thoroughly perfected  tactic that relies upon high pressing, direct passing, counter and counter pressing, passing into space and direct running.

My assistant, 3 minutes into the match - We should switch to a short passing style

I took the lads to Rio for a pre season tour for some Caipirinhas, tabloid scandal inducing parties with supermodels and games at the Maracana agianst your Botafogos, your Flamengos, your Fluminenses. Turns out none of them were available, so we were lumbered with 3 games against borderline amateur teams. I was 16 nil up with 2 minutes to go and my assistant hit out with the old favourite 'we are seriously bein overrun ing midfield'.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2020 at 20:23, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Me - A thoroughly perfected  tactic that relies upon high pressing, direct passing, counter and counter pressing, passing into space and direct running.

My assistant, 3 minutes into the match - We should switch to a short passing style

5 minutes after taking that advice your assistant then says "we should switch to a more direct passing style".

On 25/07/2020 at 22:53, PB1994 said:

After taking a day to make my mind up, I decided to stay at Palermo. I got my scouts to get a team report on Parma and the rebuilding job was pretty much the same as I would need to be doing when we got promoted. I can pretty much do no wrong in the current job so thought it was the right decision to stay.

After that we managed to secure promotion, as well as winning the title, with a record points total for Serie B.

The biggest issue with Serie B is you aren’t allowed to offer contracts with wages over £5k a week. I’ve already lost a couple of targets who were out of contract due to this. My main target now is to get my star centre mid signed up on a better deal. He has a minimum release clause of £22 million and Juve are sniffing about. Really want to get to the reset date and offer him whatever he wants and hope they don’t bid before this happens.

I’ve played another 2 seasons since this last update...

On deadline day Roma met the release clause of Martin Calderon so off he went to pick up a lovely £140k a week. Thankfully I didn’t actually need to replace him as I had another loanee who was magnificent. Managed to finish 12th with no danger of relegation. Calderon barely played for Roma which was staggering. Was transfer listed by request so was able to get him back on loan a year after leaving paying 40% of the wages and an option to buy for £19 million. Was also taken over by a consortium, was a really weird one as nothing changed at all no investment or anything like that. A magnificent run of form after the winter break (3 defeats out of 21) managed to get a 6th place finish thanks to a collapse from AC Milan.

Now after about 10 months since the last takeover I’m getting all sorts of messages about another on coming along. Not sure if my transfers are related to this as there is no actual bid but I delayed a transfer for a right wing back to try and get rid of a back up first before confirming. It’s been about 3 weeks since it was delayed and I’ve not been able to get the deal over the line. It better happen soon as I’m a week away from the season with only one option to play in that position.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Now after about 10 months since the last takeover I’m getting all sorts of messages about another on coming along. Not sure if my transfers are related to this as there is no actual bid but I delayed a transfer for a right wing back to try and get rid of a back up first before confirming. It’s been about 3 weeks since it was delayed and I’ve not been able to get the deal over the line. It better happen soon as I’m a week away from the season with only one option to play in that position.

If your board are in takeover talks you're automatically put in an embargo. Can find it in the "Club - General" section, under "Board status".

Happened to me 2 days before deadline day, the day after I'd sold about 4 players and the morning before the 4 replacements were to be confirmed. Embargo came in at 9 in the morning, cancelled all my deals, and was then lifted later the same day.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If your board are in takeover talks you're automatically put in an embargo. Can find it in the "Club - General" section, under "Board status".

Happened to me 2 days before deadline day, the day after I'd sold about 4 players and the morning before the 4 replacements were to be confirmed. Embargo came in at 9 in the morning, cancelled all my deals, and was then lifted later the same day.

Yeah, I did look at that and it said in the process of a board takeover. I was still able to make offers on other players though which was bizarre. Thankfully there is an option in the transfer section of the players profile to bring forward the confirmation, which I didn’t know existed until about 10 minutes ago, so he has been signed. I did read about that in your thread and I would have been fuming if that was the case!

In other news, I played the first game of the season and it must be one of the first games, over a number of FMs, that I’ve played a starting 11 that where all with the club the season before. It’s absolutely the first time in this save where I haven’t been scrambling to get someone in at the end of the transfer window who I need to start.

Ive spent about £20 mill on players but it’s the first window I feel the squad has been improved rather than the starting 11. I don’t think we will be able to finish as high as 6th again and we only need a mid table finish so hopefully to will work out well.

I’ve just lost a game against 9 fucking men. Was 1-0 down away to Sampdoria and they got a man sent off around 30 minutes in. Get the equaliser before half time and batter them for the rest of the game. In the 83rd minute they get a second man sent off. We score but VAR rules it out for offside and then in the 4th minute on injury time our left wing back makes an arse of it and they score the winner. A true laptop through window moment.

Not sure if this happens for anybody else? I always seem to get a ridiculously tough run of games. Every year I always seem to get a run of 4 or so games where I play the big 6 (Inter, Roma, Lazio, AC, Napoli, Juventus). It doesn’t really bother me as it means you get a great run against everybody else.

This season the run started on the forth game of the season with Napoli (h), Sampdoria (a), they finished 2nd a couple of years ago so a very good team, Roma (h), Juve (a) and then AC (h).  I’ve lost the first 3 plus one before so the form isn’t great obviously but the messages you get about how you are on a terrible run of form or you need to change your tactics seem a bit over the top. Do they not take into consideration who you’ve been playing or just look at the form and see you’ve not hot any decent results.

9 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Do they not take into consideration who you’ve been playing or just look at the form and see you’ve not hot any decent results.

Really hope they improve the algorithms for interviews in the next game, some of the questions are awful.

Don't know if you also get it, but I've a LB who is also a natural CB. He's played over 200 games for me as a LB, and not once as a CB, yet I'm constantly asked how great it is to have such a versatile player.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Really hope they improve the algorithms for interviews in the next game, some of the questions are awful.

Don't know if you also get it, but I've a LB who is also a natural CB. He's played over 200 games for me as a LB, and not once as a CB, yet I'm constantly asked how great it is to have such a versatile player.

I’ve had that too. Also for a CB who can also play DM. He has been at the club for 4 years and every game he has played is at CB.