FM 2020

ajwffc

37 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Looks like we've signed some utter shite over the years :lol: 

Yes, my predecessor tended to sign old shite players like Richard Stearman, Tom Ince and Matty pearson, I sign young players and hope some of them aren't shite.  The worst was a young German left backnamed Phil Kemper, my scouts kept telling me how brilliant a prospect he was and he would be a worthy backup to Harry Pickering and eventual replacement.  Gave him 4 or 5 starts in his first couple of months and he was a disaster, ended up sending him back to the reserves, on loan, and eventually released on a free

I caved and bought this for the first time in years about a fortnight ago.

I'm doing a thoroughly underwhelming job as Dons boss. 4th, 4th and 3rd so far with a plethora of semi finals and one cup final.

Celtic were shaky in season 1 and only won the league on the final day of the season, since then they just absolutely skoosh it every season. Starting to think even if I actually put together a competent team I still couldn't catch them.

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 11.

Into 2021 we go. Nobody in during the window, but we have agreed a pre contract with Javii Martinez, returning home after a successful spell with Bayern. Will be 33 in September, but will add versatility and experience and possibly shift some shirts too. A few out on loan whilst Iker Munian was targeted by a couple of Chinese sides throughout the window. £42 million was the highest bid, the player wasn't too fussed so he stayed.

Youth intake preview was disappointing.

basque29.PNG.adab137665e6e60848a4264a03fb2d3f.PNG

On the pitch we travelled to Saudi Arabia for the Spanish Super Cup, semi final with Real ended like this.

basque205.PNG.8602fe7b714fb6fe8892d61804e9903d.PNG

They are utter c***s tbh. 4 out of 4 domestic trophies so far.

Took care of Spurs rather easily, which was a pleasant surprise. Barca in the last 16 though.

Struggled in the league with below par performances.There was also an embarrassing cup exit to Marbella this month. I played the young lads, which should have been enough to beat what I can only presume to be a collection of Spanish waiters, Cockney gangsters and cast members from The Only Way is Essex.

basque208.PNG.88f5d9d9ab5012f95fbe7db9d0965429.PNG

We've gone from 7 points clear at the top to hanging on by our fingernails in a 5 horse race.

basque206.PNG.a14fb22b2d7f95c80c53674673c366ca.PNG

5 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

We've gone from 7 points clear at the top to hanging on by our fingernails in a 5 horse race.

basque206.PNG.a14fb22b2d7f95c80c53674673c366ca.PNG

Shouldn't that be a 6 horse race?  Don't forget poor Real Sociedad!

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

More like friendly rivals? I reckon most Athletic Club fans would rather a Basque team won the league than a Spanish one.

Aye your right, as far as rivalries go it's pretty friendly tbf. 

I hope they are shite in this save though as I need their reputation to diminish so it's easier to nick their better players.

16 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aye your right, as far as rivalries go it's pretty friendly tbf. 

I hope they are shite in this save though as I need their reputation to diminish so it's easier to nick their better players.

Coward's way out. You need their reputation to increase but yours to increase more :P

Started a new save with Hearts after the Scotland disappointment. Was interested to go back and see what happens with the new European competition and see if I can have an success.

Had a cracking start to the season before coming undone at Celtic Park which was no surprise. Haven't signed a single player and relying heavily on youth. 

heartsleague.thumb.jpg.f46f4426ca6ab5e3dfb6db349b0b1fe7.jpgheartsteam.thumb.jpg.9b39ab59f1e5630425c82c02c7442475.jpgschedule.thumb.jpg.0fcedef58be8ee3da9423289ae4d05cc.jpg

Haven't played much lately but so far this Champions League thing with Hibs isn't going as bad as I expected.

Held Liverpool at home to a 1-1 draw then snatched a draw late at Benfica.  Third game I only lost 1-0 at the Nou Camp leaving me on 2 points after 3 games.  Really expected a sea of 5-0 defeats lol

Edited by senorsoupe

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 12.

Managed to get a bit played the last couple of nights, so here's a couple of big updates.

Into March and April and the business end of the season. First up was the Europa last 16 tie with Barca.

basque216.PNG.5bd486d16d56aab99ace06e8a916be54.PNG

We lost an early goal in the first leg, managed a late equaliser, but really needed to take more heading to the Nou Camp. Lost another early goal and were never really in the 2nd leg. European journey over, we faced 5 teams in total, 4 of which were Liverpool, PSG, Spurs and Barca.

Some low scoring games followed in the league.

basque217.PNG.99e72c472df459f43761d8de99450b53.PNG

A massive fixture in April as we travel to Madrid. 3 points ahead of them, avoiding defeat a must if we were to have any hope of winning the title.

Spoiler

basque207.thumb.PNG.bada8378c49c383f0057a37a8eab6b1d.PNG

Career defining result right there. A first win in 7 against them. Get it right fucking up ye, you fascist p***ks.

After that it was a case of holding our nerve.

Spoiler

basque218.PNG.753e739d553a4684d7c7ef1fa46a1d3f.PNG

basque219.PNG.b53a6baec23ee8d6d3f914fda1ecfd1d.PNG

basque210.thumb.PNG.2cf20d5445782d666f95a713a2d809d1.PNG

Unbelievable Jeff. 12 match unbeaten run at the end of the season, 6 clean sheets on the trot. Unbeaten at home all year.

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 13.

Certainly didn't expect to win the title in only the 2nd season of the save. A bit unsure at the moment if a) the game is a bit easy, b) I'm actually good or c) I've been incredibly lucky. Perhaps a combination of all 3.

Anyway, here's the history boys...

basque214.PNG.599c8a1aef798fc7743b30674ed77711.PNG

4 changes from last season's team.

basque215.PNG.88015cc8b93a5164a5d486d8da5f30dc.PNG

Villalibre has stepped up magnificently after the retirement of Aduriuz. I admit I never thought he had it in him and expected to have to move Williams up front. His value has gone from around £7 million to £25 million, he finished as top scorer in La Liga and is now being touted for a Spain call up. Sum boi.

Elsewhere, The older guys are gradually being phased out, Muniain had a better year, Williams, Lopez, Nunez and Simon all established themselves in the national team squad and most of the youngsters have progressed.

endofseason11.PNG

Edit. last seasons team for comparison.

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....

The Boys from the Basque Country. part 14.

Season 21/22

Into my 3rd year at San Mames. The bar has now been set incredibly high. The board however are pretty modest and still only expect Champions league qualification and a challenge for silverware. They've handed me a £12 million 'warchest' and slightly increased the wage budget, so the higher profile Basque players still remain out of our reach. The have cleared the club's debt and given the green light to further facilities upgrades, so we will be in a strong position going forward.

It's been our busiest transfer window yet, firstly, the outgoings.

basque304.PNG.ad70ee83a3a728b916230d38a0a7ee03.PNG

basque309.PNG.4ba4fd0de41ac88d7ebee3637d35ddbf.PNG

Sad to see Benat and Garcia go, both have been excellent for us, I would have been quite happy to have both around for another year, but neither wanted to sign a new deal. With a combined age of almost 70 and a combined weekly wage of £160,000 it's probably for the best. Nolaskoain is still young and decent but struggling to break into the team so I made sure there's a buyback clause and we'll keep an eye on him. The others are squad players and leaving to make room for younger players. No real need to chuck loads out on loan, our B side finished an impressive 6th in the 2nd tier, so the brightest prospects will continue to serve time in the youth side before getting game time at a good level.

Joining us are...

basque303.PNG.9ef13a9f736766999d3183dee1aa6ac9.PNG

Martinez a no brainer due to his contract expiring. Physicals are declining, but still has much to offer.

Spoiler

basque307.thumb.PNG.a50193234f8d3478217a7fa6ff2e0a26.PNG

Olazabal a 16y/o with potential, I'm well stocked for young CM's, but most are attack minded, so a more defensive youngster for balance.

Spoiler

basque308.thumb.PNG.da03a8da1619e1bad14dd41600e19ca9.PNG

Kevin Rodrigues is Portuguese with dual Basque nationality. Nothing special, but cheap. Transfer listed at Sociadad and comes in as much needed cover at left back

Spoiler

basque306.thumb.PNG.af0a5b34e9372ad11cadc661977d9b39.PNG

Xabier Garrido is French/Basque . With the right development is a potential superstar. Real and Barca were sniffing around and had a couple of bids rejected, so I was forced to move quickly. Tried for a structured deal but in the end had to fork out the release clause. £7.25 million a hefty chunk for a 16 year old, but might look a bargain in 5 years time.

Spoiler

basque305.thumb.PNG.c52e7fca66bc1cddcc29e6196966c8cd.PNG

In other news around the league, Zidane has left Madrid to take charge at Juve, Ancelotti is in for a 2nd spell. Barca have spent the GDP of a small nation this summer on Sancho, Salah and a couple of others.

basque302.PNG.8be9ed258a601ceba0b869830eebac15.PNG

I had done well to avoid any hidings through four matchdays of the Champions League, two draws (Liverpool home and Benfica away) and two one goal defeats against Barcelona had me feeling hopeful of at least not looking too bad at Anfield.  A jubilant group of fans trekked down from Edinburgh hoping their team would make the cocky Jurgen Klopp eat his words

image.png.3fdec2970b22c2fee1e2a5faeaa13796.png

Fortunately I still have a chance of a Europa league spot, just need to beat Benfica at home

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Why are Alloa so ridiculously overpowered in this game? Every game I've started they always win the league, or end up in the play-offs. In the current one I'm playing, they're 5 clear of 2nd place after 17 games. It's laughable

Whichever moron done the scouting for them this season needs sacked. Woeful, woeful job.

Arbroath seemed pretty OTT in mine at the start too but have calmed down a bit in the last few months in any save I've had. Not sure if they got toned down in the Jan/Feb transfer update.

But aye it's ridiculous for Alloa. It's not even as if they have a lucky signing or 2 or use the loan market well; most of the time/saves it's just their regular squad :lol:

Edited by C. Muir

Alloa finished 4th in 19/20 in my save.

They got relegated the next season and have spent one season in the Championship in the next 7 seasons. Currently 9th in League One.

Arbroath finished 8th in 19/20, then got relegated and have been in League One since.

Jame Forrest is their current captain.

One thing I love about FM is the contrast in fortunes of different sides in different saves. Inverness are a side I've noticed in FM20 that, in the first season, either do very well or get relegated.

Currently holidaying through in a 14 14 14 SPFL database I downloaded. A proposal that can get in the sea IRL but just curious to see how things pan out after a couple of years. Boys added League 2 North and South which is basically just the highland and lowland leagues with a couple of sides added to each to make them 18 team divisions.