FM 2020

ajwffc

Haven't posted in this thread for a few weeks as I've been mostly invested in a Pentagon Challenge, and didn't want to start posting from the start cos I didn't honestly think I'd see it out.

I've completed 4 out of the 5, and just took the Man City job on in 2037/38 to hopefully get Europe ticked off and the challenge completed. If and when I finally complete it, I will post a tl;dr summary of my career.

Season 2023/24

Just about to kick off the new league campaign so thought I would do a squad/transfer update just now and if anything else happens from now till the end of the window I will post another transfer update at end of window.

Players Out

image.png.610290b3e3bc7ab15175540c11e87eb2.png image.png.576bb2ffe3f4702340bc96e655a26a55.png

With Stephen O'Donnell having such a good debut season I felt Ramsay had to go out and get regular games as a result before his promising potential stagnates. Smith, Kennedy and Ritchie again for regular game time. Hughes and O'Hara weren't massive parts of my squad so felt right to move them on. Rhodes, Campbell and Windass were let go at the end of their contracts too.

Players In

image.png.54041f4936d9b00410bd3af520fe1b22.png

Happy enough with the balance here. Just looking for another right back that's happy to be backup to O'Donnell for the season. Magennis perhaps a bit generous a fee paid but looks a decent player so why not.

Harry Souttar

image.thumb.png.3d602772a99207ac8dfdced7fe02b996.png

image.png.699f35be2c431580993481c249d0aa86.png

Kyle Magennis

image.thumb.png.dd714a3b8cf8baac3a08be1bf8ddad59.png

image.png.b2badaded93cc0b53207618868953113.png

Conor Gallagher

image.thumb.png.ad23b392b3ef6eac0e5dbb5dde986061.png

image.png.54df80cdcf01047338edcde0f2789e72.png

Robby McCrorie

image.thumb.png.119f29335eb16129449976d6a908a234.png

image.png.e1e7053b4a26111c96f362c6b33b6398.png

Adam Idah

image.thumb.png.c58a927ff399fa11e4d18cbc48fbcf54.png

image.png.21ef7edc50feb986ac78fca7e1ee80de.png

Muhammet Aksu

image.thumb.png.bd2ca23d876957af401d6a489fdb55d6.png

image.png.6dfd494b3ca78c3bf97dc3aa21037543.png

All signings will have their fair share of first team opportunities, and indeed Gallagher, McCrorie and Idah are good enough to go right into my 11. Think Gallagher will as a replacement for Turnbull but not sure about McCrorie and Idah yet since I still have players in their position who have served me so well. A good dillemma to have though. Pleasently surprised I got McCrorie as cheap as I did as he was the Rangers and is the Scotland number 1. Very happy with his signing as, even if I decide to stick with Lewis initially, he's not getting any younger and his contracts up at the end of this season so at least I know I have a more than capable player to take over if/when he leaves. Due to the O'Hara sale and the loaning out of Tom Ritchie, Aksu is purely signed on loan as a 3rd choice incase Lewis and/or McCrorie are unavailable any time.

Edited by C. Muir

McCrorie out for 4-6 weeks, well that's that decision made on who starts the season in goal :lol: And thank f**k for that loan signing of Aksu now as I literally have no other keepers at the club even in reserves/19s due to the last 2 youth intakes being littered with diddies.

Edited by C. Muir

No other transfer news. Have played up till international break so August plus 1 game at start of September.

image.png.1dfbbeb7b8d8b4f841b8a36c7ad19037.png

image.thumb.png.e2851cd06b0539f35502a18a71564086.png

Good start then disappointing results against the Old Firm. Rangers hadn't won their first 2 league games before playing me. Celtic return to haunting me as I was winning that game up till the 83rd min then their new multi million pound signing Fiete Arp ran through twice between then and full time to snatch victory.

Champions league journey never lasted long. Although that was a tough, tough tie. Speaking of tough, I go into the Europa League groups after elimination at that stage of Champions League and have this group.

image.png.06ceb835dba1861bd7fe3c08da5330c2.png

Really enjoying this save (probably my favourite since having FM20) but think I need a little break from it so back to either a different save for a while or a break from FM in genera as I've felt it's all I've done 24/7 recently :lol:

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 9.

So, into 20/21 we go. 80 points and 3rd place is the benchmark, Champions League to contend with too, plan is to rotate for the European games and keep the strongest line up for the league. I wouldn't be too upset if we finished bottom of the group tbh, it's too early to put in any sort of continental challenge and asserting ourselves domestically is a must.

basque28.PNG.d1afc53d8c4548523f217046739d0a0a.PNG

Managed to bring in £7 million for 3 over 30's in the last year of their contracts. Herrerin was a decent back up keeper, so hopefully no injuries to no.1 Unai Simon as it's only a couple of young lads behind him now. I wanted to keep San Jose, but he was wanting 45k a week. Can't give my 4th choice centre back that, so he's off to the desert for some petrodollars. Only 3 youngsters out on loan as our B side won promotion last year to the 2nd tier, so the others will be getting game time at a decent level and I can keep an eye on them better.

basque27.PNG.d347f992166e2c7d3f211bd7d2426997.PNG

Only 3 in. 17 year old  left winger Navarro is a baller, Sociadad were yet to sign him up to a bigger contract, so swooped in and met the minimum release clause. 4 and a half star potential. The other 2 are strikers I'm taking a chance on although I have my doubts either will make it here.

In other La Liga news, both Barca and Atletico have new managers after their struggles last year. Tuchel in at the Nou Camp, whilst Atleti have gone for Max Allegri.

basque25.PNG.0e2ea26804278f8c9925124b409b0610.PNG

Ooaft. Some absolute pumpings coming up I think.

Anyone ever done a fantasy draft with their mates? Watched a vlog of 2 folk playing one setting themselves certain rules and looked quite good for something a little bit different.

45 minutes ago, Aufc said:

IMG_2181.jpg

My transfers out for the summer. Wild

Sometimes theres nothing better than an absolute purge.

Sometimes theres nothing better than an absolute purge.

Aye i now have a budget of £177m. I didnt really want them to leave but esposito had a minimum release clause and the other two were too good to turn down.

Ive brought in some replacements. All 18IMG_2145.jpgIMG_2146.jpgIMG_2147.jpg

Connor1874's first Pentagon Challenge

As promised, here's my tl;dr Pentagon Challenge summary. For those who don't know what it is, the aim is to start unemployed with the lowest reputation, and win all 5 continental competitions in one save. How you decide to do it is up to yourself. I opted to focus on Africa and Asia first as I felt Europe for example could take years to build up a reputation to get decent jobs. Of course more challenging, but I just wanted to get it done as it has been on my list for some time now. Also, I'm playing on the Touch version, so no coaching badges and the likes. Not sure if that makes it easier though or harder, as you're purely judged on your successes rather than able to build your rep with an abundance of badges.

Africa

Real Kings - I'd be lying if I said I'd heard of my first club. I was offered the job halfway through the South African 2nd tier season with Real Kings fighting for survival. Very little in way of financial leverage to do much with the squad so just had to get stuck in. Instant pick up in form led to us getting some breathing space, and we survived comfortably. My first full season saw me do some smart business, and we started the season strong. We even pulled off a couple of upsets in the FA Cup getting to the quarter finals. We ended up finishing 3rd in the South African First Division which was far more than expected of us. That entered us into the playoffs, a 3 team mini league between 2nd bottom in the Premier, and 2nd and 3rd from the First Division. You play each team home and away, and the team who tops the mini league goes up. That team was me. Ready to start preparing for life in South Africa's top tier, I was then given an offer I couldn't turn down...

Mamelodi Sundowns - Perhaps the biggest club in South Africa outwith Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates, I couldn't say no. A club that I knew I could achieve stuff with, and helped by the fact they had a Chinese billionaire owner who was offering me a sizeable transfer budget for South African football. I had no real idea how the CL qualification worked, but turns out I was in it for next season! All the more reason to come to Sundowns. We also participated in the African Confederations Cup, which I just assumed was a Europa League equivalent. In many ways it was, but the massive difference was I played in both at the same time. 

The early rounds of the African CL were some laugh. The most mental result was beating a team from South Sudan 26-0 on aggregate. The season was the longest I've ever played. On top of the league season, we played in 3 domestic cups, as well as 2 continental trophies. Of the 3 domestic trophies, I only won 1. I did however win the African Confederations Cup, and more importantly, the African CL. After that final, I still had 5 games to play in the league while everyone else was finished. I had plenty opportunities to win the title, but my squad were knackered and we faltered in the end. I didn't care though. My fairly brief, but fun and successful time in Africa was over, on to Asia I went.

Asia

Henan Jianye - I was offered a job in China with a Henan side midway through their campaign but trying to stay up, much like my time at Real Kings. As you know though, in China comes plenty money to play with. I already had a few talented foreign players too in Serge Aurier and Lucas Ocampos. I kept Henan up comfortably in my half season, and then ended my first full season winning the league title. A successful spell domestically with Henan, but 3 failed attempts at winning the CL. I resigned in a huff after 3rd attempt (stupidly) as most of my squad had ****ed off to the World Cup, leaving me a threadbare squad for my last 16 tie. Upon resigning I decided I wanted a go in Korea, so it was off too...

Pohang Steelers - Not much to report here. My crack at Korea was uneventful. Domestic talent was far better, but a lot more limited in terms of finance. A good wee competitive league, I guided them to 3rd in my first half season, but was struggling to get back in the top 3 in my full season. In between that came another failed CL attempt. I then decided to pack in and wait for a top job. I was getting impatient at this point, so rash decisions were being made.

DL Pro - Or Dalian Yifang as they're known in real life. I never intended on this job. I wanted a top job. But I went on holiday while unemployed, and when I came back, I was already manager. Struggling in the Chinese Super League, I was faced with another Henan task. Not really what I was looking for, but maybe I needed to start from scratch? Also, a huge transfer budget swung it a bit too. Like Henan, I turned DL from strugglers to champions in a season and a bit. A few more unsuccessful CL campaigns followed, but finally, in 2030, Asia was complete. Again, a load of players missed the last 16 through World Cup participation, but I got through it. Then the Asian Under 23 games came and depleted my squad more, but again I got through it. Thank ****.

North America

Toronto FC - I intended on going to Mexico as I'd never experienced their league before, but an ambitious Toronto was the first job I was offered, and I was seriously tempted. Canadian MLS clubs have a further way into the CL by winning the Canadian Championship, a 10 team knockout cup between the 3 MLS clubs and 7 Canadian League clubs. My time at Toronto was fairly brief but very successful. My first crack at the NACL didn't go to plan. I drew Atlanta United and lost on away goals. The following season, we drew them again and got revenge. I got all the way to the final and drew Mexican giants America. I led 1-0 for most of the first leg, but was suckerpunched twice in the last 5 minutes. It looked like another season was needed. In the 2nd leg at the Azteca, we were being battered, and needed to win by 2. Luck was finally on my side though, America were reduced to 10 men, and we pounced on that with a quickfire double, and leg 3 of my journey was done. 

South America

Lanus - I was excited to be in Argentina, a league I've never really experienced but have massive respect for. Lanus was my first job offer, and they were sat 3rd so I decided to take it. I managed to get them upto 2nd pretty quickly, but I knew that Libertadores success was going to be tough. I was only at Lanus for about a dozen games. My departure came as I was offered another job, one I couldn't turn down...

River Plate - I couldn't say no to the opportunity of managing this club, and I'm glad I didn't I had one of my favourite experiences at a club with River. My league record was unbelievable, going unbeaten 2 full seasons in a row and scoring 100+ goals in all 3 of my seasons. I only suffered 5 league defeats in the league in a total of 3 and a half seasons. It was a case of 3rd time lucky for the Libertadores. Flamengo were the dominant force when I arrived, spanking teams left, right and centre. They beat me in the semi's of my 2nd attempt, but I ended their dominance at the 3rd attempt, gubbing them 4-1 in the final. Was pretty sad that my time in Argentina was over, but only one more continent to crack...

Europe

Manchester City - within days of my resignation at River, City were after me, and had just qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League so it was as good a club as any other. They weren't in the best nick though, sat 10th when I took over, I was prepared for a couple of seasons job, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I insisted on playing my attacking, high press 4-3-3 in the league, as I had done with every other club, but I decided to park the bus in the CL away from home. I overcame Juve and Dortmund in the last 16 and QF first legs by beating them 1-0 at home, and defending those leads away. Then it was Liverpool in the semi's who were dominating the PL. A 2-1 defeat at Anfield meant I had no option but to attack them in the 2nd leg, and it was our performance of the season. We battered them for 90 minutes, but more importantly won 2-0 and off to the final we went. We had only finished 6th in the league, and the squad were all publicly slating me for underachieving (despite the fact I wasn't even in charge for the first 20 games and I took them 4 places up in the 18 I was in charge) so I was really hoping to win this. Failure to do so meant I was in the EL2 but given the ego's in the squad, I probably would've just resigned. Not that I needed to in the end, a scrappy 1-0 win meant I was European champions, and in 2038, my challenge was finally done.

I really went through all the motions in this save, the excitement of completing my first leg, followed by the frustration in Asia of needing about 7 years! Winning the CL with City and completing the journey didn't feel particularly exciting, more just a sigh of relief that it was over. I've put so much time into this save over the last few weeks, and proud to say I've done it, but glad to put it behind me too. A great career though, my honours and managerial record are as follows:

All time managerial record - P841 W599 D128 L114 F1989 A610 - Win Percentage 71%

Honours -
South African Super 8
African Confederations Cup
African Champions League
5x Chinese Super League
5x Chinese FA Cup
5x Chinese Super Cup
Asian Champions League
MLS Cup
MLS Supporters Shield
2x MLS Eastern Conference
2x Canadian Championships
North American Champions League
3x Argentine Premier Division
3x Argentine Cup
2x Argentine Super Cup
Copa Libertadores
UEFA Champions League

Have a massive dilemma. A dilemma so big it's made me save and shut down my laptop to mull over.

I've not been into an FM save all year. Tried many, many, many different saves but just couldn't get into it barring a wee online game with a few folk on here.

Anyway - That all changed. I'm 4 seasons deep with a team called Dorking. Horrible name aside, I've made brilliant progress with them and grown quite attached. In 4 seasons, we've been promoted twice and are currently enjoying our first ever season in league football. Currently 10th in England's League 2. In touching distance of the play-offs going into December. Not spent a penny since I joined which was the original goal.

We have went full time and built a new stadium in the time I've been at the club but only get 2400 fans on average. (Which is massive compared to the couple of 100 that came at the start of our journey).

Barnsley, however, have headhunted me. They're having a nightmare of a season sitting 12th in League One. 6 points off the play-offs, 12 off top spot (Stoke) in what is an incredible League One name wise this season. The issue? They've offered me £14m to spend in January with a £6.5m wage budget. Contrast that with Dorking who cant afford to pay a penny in transfer fees and spend 750k a season in wages (The next closest in League 2 is over a million). To put it into context Barnsley pay a player £23,500 a week whilst my whole squad combined earn £19,000 per week including youth team.

Should I jump?

I’d agree with staying with Dorking.

I used to do a load of saves like this and chose to jump ship and it was always a mistake. If you’ve built a solid side and think you can take them further then stay. Leaving is a nightmare. You’ve got to pretty much start over with rebuilding the side and if it doesn’t go well you end up under pressure of the sack pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Who have Hibs signed over the years in your save. 

Here is a rundown of the signings, I took over at the start of the 2023-24 season

image.png.ec71c3fa6c1db4a8a8857c22d9c0035e.png

2020-21, a lot of these guys are still with me.  Roerslav and Pickering are still my first choice full backs, McLeod came in as a youth player and is now a qaud attacking mid.  I made a big profit of Lowery also, for a few seasons he and Stevie Mallan were my first choice midfield pairing

image.png.2694247e380b9f638d358faac623ccab.png

2021-22, only one still with me is Terry Forrest who came in as a youth prospect and has become a second choice right back

image.png.8b4a6320b3374f004471986601302427.png

2022-23.  The last season before I took over,  I kept Bain as my first choice keeper for a couple of years, got rid of most of these guys not long after I arrived

image.png.5893bbf8712e7bebb61bf0adcf3f85d9.png

2023-24, my first season.  Ahmed Magdy was by far the best signing, scored over 30 goals as a 20 year old before I sent him to Fulham after 1 season for a massive profit.  None of these are still on my team 

image.png.06bbf070118b309f01d43d7e09642ed3.png

2024-25 Some of these guys are still first choice.  Martino is the best of the lot, he's been my top goal getter the last two years, scored 62 goals in first two and a half seasons and is still only 22 

image.png.c421dde5b1704c0822382a48502be39b.png

2025-26. Goalie Scuffet was the best signing, despite having a habit of whining about wanting to leave a lot

image.png.9e3851e1c2a312dfefec365c2f272b73.png

2026-27, I sign mostly regens these days, the money is getting silly as I spent 8.25 million on a 22 year old Scottish midfielder from Celtic lol, he is pretty brilliant though, a great partnership with the evergreen Stevie Mallan

image.png.35de46710f3e4011610bde18ebafa876.png

And 2027-28 thus far, 

image.png.d716845dbd9a8c85cd58e5d7c1afa2f3.png

I'm 20 games into a season, and Celtic have conceded 4 league goals.

I scored 3 against them in one game, so the other 11 clubs have scored 1 goal combined in 18 games.

How the f**k do you win the title ahead of that?

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 10.

Another fantastic start to the season. When I have a full strength squad to choose from, I feel that we can beat anybody on our day. Delighted to get a first win over the big 2 in my 7th attempt, perhaps a good time to play them though. Fielded weakened teams in the Champions League, lucky to beat the Turks tbh and Mbappe utterly ran riot, scored 4 had one disallowed and hit the post twice as we were utterly humiliated in Paris.

basque202.PNG.108bcf901c6727a1aaaf2bbad0a25cdd.PNG

Came from 2 down at half time to beat Liverpool on a special night, 18 year old summer signing Navarro tearing Andy Robertson to shreds, scoring and assisting after coming on as a sub. They certainly didn't miss us in the return fixture though, humiliated again. Solid point against Real also, 7 out of 9 points against the big 3 so far, but all have been at home. Only defeat coming so far against rivals Sociadad.

basque203.PNG.1473828d8c7c4c3c1954c5c0e1882f59.PNG

Top of the league at halfway, with a nice wee gap. A much trickier 2nd half of fixtures awaits. I've been very lucky with injuries and suspensions so far this term, but f**k me, what a great bunch of lads I've got.

basque201.thumb.PNG.2f6e63f4ded85b0c4fc28fb7d5218c74.PNG

basque204.thumb.PNG.29ec74dcd8855cb62cf8225a31cdcdec.PNG

A very respectable Champions League debut season, even more so when you consider I rotated for these games. No hiding from the 2 utter houndings we received in Paris and Liverpool, need to do better, rotated squad or not.

We drop into the Europa and have been given a tough draw against Spurs. A trip to the Nou Camp is sandwiched between the tie so, it will be a weakened team and an exit I suspect.

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Here is a rundown of the signings, I took over at the start of the 2023-24 season

image.png.ec71c3fa6c1db4a8a8857c22d9c0035e.png

2020-21, a lot of these guys are still with me.  Roerslav and Pickering are still my first choice full backs, McLeod came in as a youth player and is now a qaud attacking mid.  I made a big profit of Lowery also, for a few seasons he and Stevie Mallan were my first choice midfield pairing

image.png.2694247e380b9f638d358faac623ccab.png

2021-22, only one still with me is Terry Forrest who came in as a youth prospect and has become a second choice right back

image.png.8b4a6320b3374f004471986601302427.png

2022-23.  The last season before I took over,  I kept Bain as my first choice keeper for a couple of years, got rid of most of these guys not long after I arrived

image.png.5893bbf8712e7bebb61bf0adcf3f85d9.png

2023-24, my first season.  Ahmed Magdy was by far the best signing, scored over 30 goals as a 20 year old before I sent him to Fulham after 1 season for a massive profit.  None of these are still on my team 

image.png.06bbf070118b309f01d43d7e09642ed3.png

2024-25 Some of these guys are still first choice.  Martino is the best of the lot, he's been my top goal getter the last two years, scored 62 goals in first two and a half seasons and is still only 22 

image.png.c421dde5b1704c0822382a48502be39b.png

2025-26. Goalie Scuffet was the best signing, despite having a habit of whining about wanting to leave a lot

image.png.9e3851e1c2a312dfefec365c2f272b73.png

2026-27, I sign mostly regens these days, the money is getting silly as I spent 8.25 million on a 22 year old Scottish midfielder from Celtic lol, he is pretty brilliant though, a great partnership with the evergreen Stevie Mallan

image.png.35de46710f3e4011610bde18ebafa876.png

And 2027-28 thus far, 

image.png.d716845dbd9a8c85cd58e5d7c1afa2f3.png

Looks like we've signed some utter shite over the years :lol: