FM 2020

ajwffc

Betfred Cup Semi Final

image.png.d21bc84308b3ba172ce2834aae90d6a3.png

What an opportunity for silverware. In a repeat of last seasons Scottish Cup final, Dundee Utd stand between me and a 3rd trophy as Aberdeen boss.

Final

image.png.464b83974305bde9b33d671411adeb78.png

3rd 1-0 final win :lol: This wasn't an easy game and Shankland having a rare off day probably saved my blushes. 4th season in charge and in 3 out of the 4 a trophy has been won. Got to be happy with that especially as we all know how strong Celtic are on FM. Wrestling the league title off them would be the icing on the cake.

Notice this post has went on to a new page, December and January update in the other competitions is the last post on the previous page for anyone that's missed it.

Edited by C. Muir

In January I played once every weekend and once every midweek but February is ripping the absolute arse out it.

image.thumb.png.11d6c34714b46e8fbcb24df26ce2a591.png

11 games in total and 7 in the space of a fortnight between 11th and 25th. Thank f**k I have options players wise :lol: All 3 of my games in hand over Celtic are during this month (currently 6 points behind them). Massive month, if I can end it top of the table with the title in our own hands then that would be huge. Genuinley considering putting a full reserves/19s side out against Queens Park. 

Edited by C. Muir

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 7.

New youth intake is here. It's not quite the golden generation I was promised earlier in the year, but it's decent. 

youth1.PNG.2ee6798d1c7c74cefac40e8569391556.PNG

This lad being the pick of the bunch imo

1749938622_xabjim.thumb.PNG.28e40027174d1b0e3dcfb97812e90aab.PNG

On the pitch, we bounced back well after the March madness. A controversial VAR awarded penalty for Barca has all but killed off our title hopes, but in truth, we probably didn't deserve anything there.

basque21.PNG.0959fab897cf8fb43dd002151af22b01.PNG

basque20.PNG.1bb0aa46bc945f05c7e902380b610525.PNG

It's Barca's to lose, they've got the easier run in too. There's a Madrid derby scheduled for the last day of the season. We've got Valladolid A (14th), Espanyol H (16th), Osasuna H (19th) and finish up away to arch rivals Real Sociadad who are 10th. 4 points to secure European football but I'll probably need 3 wins to make the Champions League. Atletico are finishing strong, won 10 drawn 1 and lost 1 since I beat them on the 1st of February.

10 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

4 away games in the space of 6 days is fucking ridiculous.

That's been a slight annoyance for me on FM in the last couple of years. Not the 4 away games in 6 days part, just the fact that the game seems to quite often give a run of consecutive home games followed by a run of consecutive away games or vice versa.

Edited by C. Muir

February 2023

image.thumb.png.87b68a469de562921722ddc872773a01.png

I should've kept my fucking mouth shut :lol: Still plenty of wins but ultimately the dropped points going to be very costly, particularly the last game of the month there against Dundee which was my first defeat in 20 games. Frustrating as f**k, a few injuries to deal with and other players running on empty in certain games. No wonder with that schedule. Napoli had that tie wrapped up with their 3 goals coming in the first 20 mins. Another trip to Hampden to play Motherwell in the Scottish Cup semi final next month. Other semi is the Old Firm meeting.

image.png.5cc11ee1e778f5e23cabe7d4441d0ab8.png

Celtic Park next in what will probably be a win or bust. A draw and a win against them so far this season as well as extra time progress in the Betfred semi final so I know we have it in us to go there and win. Hopefully I can field a starting 11 that's match fit :lol:

Edited by C. Muir

Oh the absolute fucking shower of c***s that they are.

image.png.5de5de75743af6f2ae2599d65930d6ae.png

How to throw away a title challenge. From my kick off after O'Connors goal, Findlay loses the ball in possesion to Hepburn who ran through to score. Unbelievable.

Need to make sure we don't have an absolute nosedive and secure at least 2nd place and the Champions League qualifiers. Of course I'll still be aiming for the title but really can't see Celtic throwing away a now 7 point lead.

Edited by C. Muir

Thought this was worth a mention. Would love to see them pull it off but they probably won't.

image.png.706e95915fab2ef3417bedfead99818b.png

For some reason they also now play 60 miles away at Readings Majdeski stadium, moving there in May 2021. They were in Europa League last season which maybe their ground wasn't up to standard for but still doesn't explain why they're continuing at Reading this season. Or maybe their ground has been knocked down for a new one.

Edited by C. Muir

The Boys from the Basque Country. Part 8.

basque22.PNG.89969c8bd6b64bba6bc8106e79246276.PNG

Made it in the end.

basque23.PNG.e828f6565ef6ae213331871aa17761de.PNG

So money, much generosity.

endofseason1.PNG.b97f41d3cfe12a058066c082882f9363.PNG

Barca with the ultimate bottle job, drew at home to mid table Betis before going to already relegated Osasuna on the last day and getting beat. Real do a domestic treble despite being pretty gash for a large chunk of the season. I've got to be happy with finishing third, only 3 points off the top. Although, I reckon 83 points will be the lowest winning total in this save, so I might look back on this as an opportunity lost.

endofseason11.PNG.8e3b14f074d97fd043c7b9f86800eb1a.PNG

Benat is 33 now, but still fucking immense so has been given another 2 year deal. This is likely to be the team that starts next season minus the retiring 39 year old Aduriz. I can't afford any genuine quality upgrades, so I'll probably pick up a couple of rough diamond youngsters and attempt to polish them up. Main focus this summer will be improving the backroom staff.

Celtic absolutely breezed it in the end. Only drew 2 and won the rest since their 5-4 win against me. As for me..

image.thumb.png.df364c8dcb97df3251bbddf2af7ec807.png

Patchy form at best. I secured 2nd place with the draw at Dundee so last 3 games I fannied about with the team a bit. Only real highlights were the thumping of Hibs and making the Scottish Cup final. Rangers (who still haven't won anything since returning to the top flight) stand between me and retaining the trophy. Massive to my chances that they beat Celtic in the semi final.

Final league table

image.png.3984c0e92f02ee5829d42cd5e66b9d75.png

Will report back on Hibs' fate shortly. Onto the cup final..

Edited by C. Muir

14 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Thought this was worth a mention. Would love to see them pull it off but they probably won't.

image.png.706e95915fab2ef3417bedfead99818b.png

For some reason they also now play 60 miles away at Readings Majdeski stadium, moving there in May 2021. They were in Europa League last season which maybe their ground wasn't up to standard for but still doesn't explain why they're continuing at Reading this season. Or maybe their ground has been knocked down for a new one.

Why are Liverpool marked as in the Champions League already when they're second?

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Why are Liverpool marked as in the Champions League already when they're second?

ECL stands for Europa Conference League, just CL for Champions League. Wasn't even sure why they're already marked down as qualified for Conference league but looking at their schedule they won the EFL cup so that must be why.

Little squad review.

Top scorer -
1. Jordan Jones. (22).18 coming in the league making him 2nd top scorer 1 behind Bayo of Celtic. What a season he's had and what a signing for £0.
2. Ivan Toney (14)
3. Eamonn Brophy (13)

Highest average rating -
1. Dylan McGeouch (7.45)
2. David Turnbull (7.40)
3. Jordan Jones (7.15)

Most assists -
1. David Turnbull (12)
2. Dylan McGeouch (9)
3. Stephen O'Donnell (8)

Signings rated -

Jordan Jones - as alluded to above, excellent addition.

Regan Hendry - 21 apps in all comps but he's been really unlucky he's not made more, just had plenty of options in centre midfield like McGeouch, Turnbull and Ferguson. Whenever he did play he played well though, might find himself in the team more regularly next season as Turnbull will return to Man U after his loan and will need to probably be loan listed again for me to get him back as his value of £15.5 million would pretty much clean me out financially.

Stuart Findlay - Pretty much an ever present since signing and formed a good partnership with Halkett. 4 goals and 3 assists too so does his fair share from set plays.

Stephen O'Donnell - Was a bit wary of his age but shown no signs of getting on a bit, a lot sounder defensively than young Ramsay and as you see above high up in the assists chart.

Liam Donnelly - the dig our side probably lacked the last couple of seasons, brilliant at DM first half of the season and occasionaly covered solidly enough at right back and centre back whenever there were injuries and suspensions there. Featured a bit less 2nd half of the season after me going with a flat midfield 3 of McGeouch, Ferguson, Turnbull but definitely a handy player to have around and a bargain at £275k.

David Turnbull - just oozed class in nearly every appearence he made. Had to cover his full wage of £12k a week but god he was worth it. Will be keeping a close eye to see if he will be available again on loan as mentioned earlier.

Kai Kennedy - one for the future really. Got a bad injury and was out most of the season so only got to see him twice. Has big potential though so might send him out on loan next season for some experience. 21 now so will need to get some regular games under his belt soon.

Very succesful transfer business if I do say so myself. Every player bar Kennedy made a good to brilliant impact.

image.png.c6ecc9a88410e92fb9500125081a7cca.png

Edited by C. Muir

Summer 2023 and we have now left Pittodrie behind to move into the Kingsford Stadium. This is slightly annoying me purely for the reason the club home page looks stupid now without a picture of the stadium :lol:

image.thumb.png.8c8d17c06913fb11abbd13479593372d.png