FM 2020

ajwffc

14 hours ago, Mr X said:
16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clearly it takes some time to update the squads but over a month is a bit ridiculous, as is waiting for every window to close. Why not just update the main leagues as soon as possible?

I'm holding off on a new save until the transfer window patch gets released. Not really played for the last 2 months due to the ME bugs.

13 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I'm holding off on a new save until the transfer window patch gets released. Not really played for the last 2 months due to the ME bugs.

Same, I played a few hours when it was released and havent gone back since.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

The ME is better, but its still a bit shit. The number of goals scored that are later chopped offside a game is utterly absurd.

Are these VAR decisions?

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

Same, I played a few hours when it was released and havent gone back since.

Are these VAR decisions?

No, I'm Cheddar AFC in the Vanarama National (edited extra league file). It's the ones where you score and "Oh, but it won't stand!" comes down the bottom, any goal my team scores I just stare at the lino first. Might as well be VAR, just as shit. I hear that VAR is also terrible, 99.99% of positions given as what they were originally.

Got a new laptop for the first time in ages last month, so great to be in the modern era rather than playing updated versions of old FM's. As fun as they were. That said, I opted for FM19 to start with as there were plenty bad reviews for FM20. Might switch over and give it a bash since it's been updated, but dunno if there's much point? Or should I persevere until 21 is out?

Anyhoo, I've actually mostly been playing the Touch version. I know, it's not quite the full thing, but it's perfect for me. I started my first save on the full version with Musselburgh in the EoS. Took me 14 hours of gameplay to play one season. I haven't really got time to put so much effort in, and even then, I prefer to have a degree of efficiency to my saves, so it's been touch ever since. It doesn't feel any different as a game, other than they've stripped back press conferences and all the bells and whistles. Fine by me. I also love the instant result feature too. Handy for those meaningless end of season games.

Started a save inspired by my recent trip to Budapest, and took over Ferencvaros. My 4-3-3 Gegenpress will dominate domestically I assume, but I want to turn Hungary into a bit of a force again. Unbeaten in my first 7 in the league, and got to the Europa groups from QR1. Beat Feyenoord and Zenit on the way which was impressive.

Favourite file I've played though is my unempoloyed challenge starting in Scotland. Took over Peterhead in League 2 sat 8th in December and got them straight up through the playoffs 6 months later. 2nd season, finished a respectable 7th in League One as well as reaching the Betfred QF.

Left at the end of season 2 for Brechin who had just lost in the playoffs. I kept up that tradition by finishing in the playoffs 3 times, but on the 3rd attempt I finally managed promotion to the Championship. Problem seemed to be starting the season slow (new players perhaps not used to the gegenpress yet) and ending strong, but by which point, we were playing catch up. Ross County, Morton and Livi all made me work for it. Season 3 saw me get the QF of both cups too, losing at home to Celtic both times. The Scottish tie, I actually led 2-0. 

Spent a season in the Championship finishing 5th. Missed out on a playoff spot by 3 points. Again, I started very slowly, not winning my first 6, before flying up the table. Started season 5 with Brechin playing the Betfred, but was offered the job by St Mirren just days before the start of the Premiership season, so off I popped. Started by beating Hibs at home, Hearts away and Aberdeen at home. I've only lost 1 out of my first 7, and that was Celtic away.

Find the new match engine much better, but there's still a hell of a lot of penalties being given out. I just got a move to Brighton there and I've conceded a penalty in my opening 5 matches. Not even got the lads getting stuck in yet we're giving away fouls left, right and centre.

image.thumb.png.43e2c782fae651fb548008e58eb12ecf.png

Efe Ambrose has been an absolute beast for me. He's seen off the likes of Craig Halkett, Stuart Findlay, Liam Gordon, Tam O'Brien, Tam O'Ware & a regen wonderkid who've all been signed as a potential replacement at one point or another. He's my automatically picked pen taker this season, but to be slotting as much as he does is unreal.

He's 34 now and his stats are falling away fast so I'm worried he'll be irreplaceable.

ETA: He's won African player and defender of the year beating off competition from Koulibaly & Mohamed Salah.

Edited by Ludo*1

Anyone find that full backs are, by and large, shite in FM2020?

I took over at Brighton with about 2 months of the season left, we got relegated but I managed to keep most of the team together as it was quite young, aside from the full backs. I had ageing Kyle Walker-Peters and Jay Dasilva at full back who were on the way down, I had two 20 year olds who were borderline good enough for the Championship so I decided to just give them the game time and hopefully they'd improve over that year. I got to January last night and despite being top of the league it's clear my sub-standard full backs were leaking goals. The club handed me £45 million in January to start building for the following season, yet I cannot find a single full back who is interested in coming to me that will be good enough to make the step up. My choices were either signing a young guy who will need two or three years to get to Prem level (which I have already in the two 20 year olds) or overspend on a 30+ player coming down from the Prem that won't be able to make the step back up. I eventually just gave up and I'm now ploughing ahead with what I've got in the hope that once I've won this god damn division players will be more interested in coming to me.

Even when I was at Hibs I found full back was the worst area to fill, albeit at Scottish Prem level you can get by with a couple of jobbers.

Finished my first season with the new update as Hamilton. Scraped to 8th racking up 17 draws through the season with my defensive route one set up. Celtic absolutely demolished everyone again winning the league before the split. Ross county managed to get themselves relegated not winning a game until February and appointing Avril in December and Livi kept Dundee down through the play offs, well played #diddyalliance

The championship lived up to real life with United romping it and Partick getting relegated (lol).

Falkirk romped league one as well.

The real shock came in League 2 where Stenny won the league. No one got relegated sadly.

Great one on my latest game.

St. Mirren Park is being expanded and whilst this is being done, St. Mirren have moved into Rugby Park for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. Nothing out of the ordinary, we always move there when the stadium is being expanded.

But Kilmarnock don't play at Rugby Park. They moved into the smaller capacity Frank Beattie Stadium 2 years ago. We essentially are sole proprietor of Killie's old ground and have exclusive use of it as a halfway house when our ground is being reconstructed. :lol: 

Never seen this before in FM.