Aberdeen v County Sheepfest

Cracking curry in Wild Ginger last night, I loved Bollywood, so glad this place has kept it up. 

As for the game, as expected, understandably a level below, the majority of the championship winning team will not be good enough to compete with the top 6. 

Cosgrove was a handful, deserves a move to  higher level. Not quite a Boyce but will be interesting to see how he does sown south.

Stewards friendly, macaroni pie shite.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The pattern of the last 5 years continues.

A bad performance or two, criticism of McInnes, then a hard fought away point and a comfortable home win. 

It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was our best performance of the season and it was encouraging to keep a clean sheet (thank you left hand post).

Some assorted comments:-

Billy Mckay had a poor afternoon.

• He couldn’t get involved, in the first half particularly, Aberdeen’s centre-backs kept him very quiet. When Aberdeen had all of that territory he couldn’t make the ball stick.
  • He sliced the one chance that came his way with a volley. Maybe he could have taken it down on to his right foot to shoot across goal, I think he has the ability to do that, but he instinctively went for the early shot.  Some ball by Grivosti over the top though.
  • Plenty fans in the Championship last season labelled County as a team of giants, but had they run out of tall players to mark Leigh?  I don’t understand why it was left to Mckay to do that for the opener.  Another completely free header to open the scoring, helped by a smart run by Devlin to get away from Watson and then cause confusion, with Mckay going with Devlin

Happy enough with Ricky Foster, in spite of the slagging he will get

• I thought he started well, his performance suffered in the second half, it was clear he tired.  He didn’t use the ball as well as I’d like but you know what you get with him.  Hopefully his fitness will improve in the next fortnight, he made a comment to the media about the training being sharper than he is used to but I don’t know if that was just a barb at St Johnstone for the sake of it

Structural issues with that 4-4-2 against the top six clubs

• Niall McGinn’s blast over the bar early in the second half was symptomatic of Aberdeen being able to play between the lines too easily.  He just drifted in off the flank on the far side and had all the time he needed, because Grivosti and Vigurs were watching the central midfielders (with varying degrees of success)
  • Grivosti started the match brilliantly IMO in plugging the gaps at the back of midfield, but if he kept that level of performance up over 90 minutes he’d be sold for a million overnight.  He had too much work to do when he had Vigurs beside him
  • Vigurs ain’t fit and/or defensive-minded enough to play as one of just two CMs.  The build up to the second goal is a case in point, with Bryson scooshing past him.  Smart movement by Cosgrove to fall deep and allow Bryson and Ferguson to attack the space right enough, but Vigurs ought to have followed him back rather than make Morris assume responsibility.  Compact shape should come before taking risks when the opening goal has just been lost, IMO.

Lack of productivity on the wings

• When the ball isn’t sticking up top you need your wingers to have an impact by carrying the ball up the pitch.  Gardyne showed good ball control at times but he was never beating Vyner, he doesn’t have the legs for it anymore on the wing against the better teams.  That was something we knew two or three years ago though.  If he has to play then sacrifice one of the forwards and have Gardyne link up play centrally like what Scott McDonald did for Motherwell at times.
  • It was a quiet game from Mullin. He has a few of those, but he is still finding his feet at this level, like Stewart is.
  • I think Power’s cameo showed that he has the raw pace - and tenacity - to make things more difficult for opposing defences than the starting players were able to.  He ought to be playing more in games like this in the future
Edited by bunglebonce

37 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Happy enough with Ricky Foster, in spite of the slagging he will get

• I thought he started well, his performance suffered in the second half, it was clear he tired.  He didn’t use the ball as well as I’d like but you know what you get with him.  Hopefully his fitness will improve in the next fortnight, he made a comment to the media about the training being sharper than he is used to but I don’t know if that was just a barb at St Johnstone for the sake of it

Worth mentioning he apparently didn't train with us for around a week before he left. Walked out of training and didnt return to the club until the day his release was finalised. 

No idea how much he was doing on his own at that time.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning he apparently didn't train with us for around a week before he left. Walked out of training and didnt return to the club until the day his release was finalised. 

No idea how much he was doing on his own at that time.

Forgot to add his wife's version of events.

That he walked out on training and didnt return to the club until he went to finalise his release, because hes a sublime professional who knew he wouldnt be first choice, despite being first choice, and just wanted to go somewhere and play football.

10 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Marginal gains might be the difference between 12th and 10th? :saddam

Fair point, I’d just rather something less marginal than Foster. I’m curious if the club knew VdW had plans to leave again prior to it being announced, perhaps we could’ve found an alternative. Can’t imagine Foster is at the low end of the wage scale, too.

Edited by Stub Acme

On 31/08/2019 at 18:18, Sheep62 said:

Thought that the boy with the foreign name playing for County, is it Grivosti ?, looked like one to keep an eye on 

Stay away from Grivo, he's ours.