Weddings

Did this go ahead?

Our heads are all over the place with what we should do with our January wedding. On one hand surely we'll have found a way to live with the coronavirus by January? On the other it's not inconceivable that we'll still be social distancing, wearing face masks or being bounced in and out of lockdowns...

We really don't want to have to postpone it and we've already chucked about £4k into it which we won't get back. She took out insurance in good time but it doesn't cover cancellation due to government regulations. We feel like come June/July we're going to have to make a decision of keep chucking money at it (probably worst case scenario it gets postponed) or cancel and cut our losses. We've got a few guests including her parents coming from abroad so that causes a bit of a headache.

What are the chances of a normal wedding as planned come January?
January lol ,ffs.my mrs isn't that bothered about our July wedding no going ahead and she is a worrier.

7 hours ago, davied85 said:
13 hours ago, alr said:
Did this go ahead?

Our heads are all over the place with what we should do with our January wedding. On one hand surely we'll have found a way to live with the coronavirus by January? On the other it's not inconceivable that we'll still be social distancing, wearing face masks or being bounced in and out of lockdowns...

We really don't want to have to postpone it and we've already chucked about £4k into it which we won't get back. She took out insurance in good time but it doesn't cover cancellation due to government regulations. We feel like come June/July we're going to have to make a decision of keep chucking money at it (probably worst case scenario it gets postponed) or cancel and cut our losses. We've got a few guests including her parents coming from abroad so that causes a bit of a headache.

What are the chances of a normal wedding as planned come January?

January lol ,ffs.my mrs isn't that bothered about our July wedding no going ahead and she is a worrier.

Seems like she’s not that bothered about marrying you mate. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My wedding is now in less than two weeks. My involvement so far has been sorting the cake and getting told where I have to be and at what time. Luckily Dundee are straight down so I don't need to worry about missing any playoffs. I was hoping for more inspiration for my groom's speech from this and the best man thread but I have nothing so far.

49 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

My wedding is now in less than two weeks. My involvement so far has been sorting the cake and getting told where I have to be and at what time. Luckily Dundee are straight down so I don't need to worry about missing any playoffs. I was hoping for more inspiration for my groom's speech from this and the best man thread but I have nothing so far.

A couple of things to this.

Your speech is for the bride and your parents/close mates. A'body else treats the speeches as things that get in the way of them eating/getting pished. Not to be harsh, just trying to take the pressure off. Nobody's night will live or die by your speech.

If you're stuck then go with what you love about her. Any funny stories you can think of that she won't know about? Maybe your prep for your first date had a few hiccups that others won't know and would be glad to hear of.

"I told my pals I'd be wearing a kilt. The asked "what's the tartan?", I said "a wedding dress" had me in fits when I heard it. 

It's an easy speech for the groom, and much harder for the best man.

You just need to thank everyone, and say how lovely all the women are looking. Use the opening line..."on behalf of my wife". It's an easy applause.

Be genuine. Don't drag it out.

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's an easy speech for the groom, and much harder for the best man.

You just need to thank everyone, and say how lovely all the women are looking. Use the opening line..."on behalf of my wife". It's an easy applause.

Be genuine. Don't drag it out.

See the source image

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

See the source image

Tip for any bloke having to make a speech at the wedding......... Do not , under any circumstances (and even if the bridesmaid is an absolute munter , straight out of the Horrific Nightclub Photos thread) do this Brucie expression after saying how lovely the bridesmaid looks.

If like me you didnt have much to do in the planning then I said something like "i want to say thanks to everyone for their hard work in making today happen, least of all me. I was only told to brush my teeth and turn up...and i forgot my toothbrush"