Weddings

Why the f**k would she ask for lighters when she’s got a gas cooker have you not been paying any attention?

Aye but then the kitchen is always reeking when he wants to put hot water in his pot noodle.

Congrats! 

I loved planning our wedding. Ruggy did f**k all. The most important thing for me was to make sure our guests were well fed. There is nothing worse than having people waiting about for ages with no food. 

We got married at House For An Art Lover in Glasgow. Great venue and amazing food. Not too pricey either.

13 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Congrats! 

I loved planning our wedding. Ruggy did f**k all. The most important thing for me was to make sure our guests were well fed. There is nothing worse than having people waiting about for ages with no food. 

We got married at House For An Art Lover in Glasgow. Great venue and amazing food. Not too pricey either.

I paid for it and turned up. I think you’ll find that’s doing more than f**k all. 

Walking up the steps of the (now redeveloped (prophetic!)) church in Bridge of Allan 20+ years ago, my best mate implored me it wasn’t too late to turn around.

Apparently, my now wife had the same chat from her dad on the way to her first wedding 20+ years ago.

We were both young and headstrong and went through with it with the inevitable endings.

We then met up for the first time 20 years after those words of wisdom and have the experience to tell. Married life, now that I’ve done it in my 40s, is everything it ever should be.

Tl;dr - if it’s 100%, absolutely go for it. But you’re harbouring any nagging doubts, don’t.

Much like the buy cheap, buy twice adage. Do it once, do it right.

Guest Moomintroll
I paid for it and turned up. I think you’ll find that’s doing more than f**k all. 
Well you're a romantic b*****d, I'll give you that.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Congrats! 

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I am going to that venue for one soon, are the pints dear?

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I probably remain in touch with under half of the people who attended my wedding.  Do what you want, not what others expect.  If I could do it again, I’d get married abroad.  

Agree with that, or go even cheaper and just get it done and then announce that you are married to all your friends after the event. 

The best wedding I ever went to was one where the bride and groom had cut all their costs by getting married in front of just their parents and grandparents. They took them out to a restaurant afterwards and bought them dinner, before going on to a hall where all their evening guests were waiting and where the ska band, Esperanza, were booked as the wedding band. It was superb, everyone was up dancing all night and way better than spending time in church listening to some boring priest / minister going through the motions. 

16 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Agree with that, or go even cheaper and just get it done and then announce that you are married to all your friends after the event. 

The best wedding I ever went to was one where the bride and groom had cut all their costs by getting married in front of just their parents and grandparents. They took them out to a restaurant afterwards and bought them dinner, before going on to a hall where all their evening guests were waiting and where the ska band, Esperanza, were booked as the wedding band. It was superb, everyone was up dancing all night and way better than spending time in church listening to some boring priest / minister going through the motions. 

Sounds a bit soulless tbh. Did the parents and grandparents just go home after the registry office and curry? 

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Did the band play this one?

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds a bit soulless tbh. Did the parents and grandparents just go home after the registry office and curry? 

Nope. They were at the party. 

I've been to more traditional weddings where the grandparents have gone home when the wedding band started playing, or when the DJ turned the music up anyway. It's not like there's a corner where the pensioners go for a game of dominos. 😐

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Did the band play this one?

Dunno. It was years ago. The way I remember it was there was loads of Madness covers but that's maybe cause they were the tunes I recognised. 

11 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I have mentioned this on here before but I was once the best man at a wedding in Estonia.  The guests were mostly Russian and my hilarious best man speech was translated as i went along. 

My wedding was quite good fun to be honest as it was the first (and last) time I saw quite a few of my mates.

Well that was a disappointing response, but in your defence I was probably referring more to marriage than an actual wedding. 

I'll just wait on a marriage thread starting. 

Was fairly recently an integral participant in a Big Italian Wedding.

Rule 1: Ignore the cynics on this thread and enjoy whatever you want to do

Rule 2: Ignore all of the miscellaneous relatives (frequently dreadful aunties) who feel like they deserve an opinion

Rule 3: If at all possible avoid telling any merchant you are buying supplies for a wedding, the Marriage Industrial Complex will add a massive markup. 

The most important thing for me was to make sure our guests were well fed. There is nothing worse than having people waiting about for ages with no food. 

I can think of two weddings I was at when there was a huge gap between the ceremony and the meal where I ended up steaming. But what the f**k else are people going to do in that time period? Ceremony at 1 or 2 and start the dinners at 5 and no later.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am going to that venue for one soon, are the pints dear?

Nae draught. Bottle beer only. Can’t remember how much they were. 

Edited by Rugster