Weddings

Perhaps it's just me then, but I'm struggling to think of any good reason why kids should be banned from weddings. I've certainly never been at one where an army of young kids has ruined the day, seen plenty of drunken arsehole adults ruin one though.
I've had my kids not go to one before because it was down to cutting back numbers to please rest of their family which I was fine with as gave me a little break with the wife also.

18 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I've had my kids not go to one before because it was down to cutting back numbers to please rest of their family which I was fine with as gave me a little break with the wife also.

A big industrial sized bag of chicken nuggets and some chips from farmfoods - weans meals sorted.

In all seriousness, cutting back on numbers I suppose does make sense, but I can't say it's something I'll be asking of my guests if anyone is ever daft enough to marry me.

A big industrial sized bag of chicken nuggets and some chips from farmfoods - weans meals sorted.
In all seriousness, cutting back on numbers I suppose does make sense, but I can't say it's something I'll be asking of my guests if anyone is ever daft enough to marry me.
Yeah only ever happened the once and the only issue we had of the day was my mates Auntie who decided to deck it after standing on a chair resulting blood everywhere and I think was a broken nose.

Other than that all good haha

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps it's just me then, but I'm struggling to think of any good reason why kids should be banned from weddings. I've certainly never been at one where an army of young kids has ruined the day, seen plenty of drunken arsehole adults ruin one though.

Agreed on this one, there were plenty of kids at our wedding and the only person who misbehaved was one drunk uncle

I attended 2 weddings at the same venue but several years apart.

When visiting the 2nd time I noticed a lot more security around the gifts and cards left for the happy couple.

When I enquired what all this was about I was told by staff that stuff had went missing at previous weddings.

Imagine stealing from the people who have invited you to spend their big day with them at great expense.

To think friends or family would steal from you.

2 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I attended 2 weddings at the same venue but several years apart.

When visiting the 2nd time I noticed a lot more security around the gifts and cards left for the happy couple.

When I enquired what all this was about I was told by staff that stuff had went missing at previous weddings.

Imagine stealing from the people who have invited you to spend their big day with them at great expense.

To think friends or family would steal from you.

Maybe it was the staff, or people getting in uninvited.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Maybe it was the staff, or people getting in uninvited.

I did consider that staff may have been to blame but putting more staff on to monitor the booty seemed silly.

You may have a point with uninvited though. Are you suggesting complete strangers just turning up at weddings and stealing gifts?

3 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I did consider that staff may have been to blame but putting more staff on to monitor the booty seemed silly.

You may have a point with uninvited though. Are you suggesting complete strangers just turning up at weddings and stealing gifts?

They may not have been posing as guests - they may have just sneaked into the venue and pinched things whilst they were left unattended? 

On 03/09/2019 at 21:57, MixuFixit said:

I had to detach one wee nephew who had drunk too much fizzy juice from a column in the hall where he'd latched on about 7 feet up like a koala.

My other nephews were found rolling down a grassy bank with my wife's friend's son, then going chasing after each other with some filthy branch of a tree they'd found, totally ruining their smart clothes.

A wee niece accidentally stood on my wife's dress as I was spinning her round at the ceilidh, tearing off a strip, putting her wee hands up to her face in horror like she was going to get killed.

Some of the best things I remember about my wedding involved the kids running amok, I'd hate the idea of banishing them.

At my brother's wedding, my nephew fell in to the hotel swimming pool - whilst wearing his (hired) kilt.

On 03/09/2019 at 11:32, scottsdad said:

Ah yes, my in-laws. My wife's parents are divorced and it was acrimonious. Her mum didn't come to our wedding because her dad was coming. Her step-mum was there but didn't say a word to anyone, as she had fallen out with my wife's sister a decade or so before, and insisted that she and my new father-in-law go home immediately after the ceremony. 

There is always one, but the upshot for my wife was that her dad walked her down the aisle, which was the main thing for her. 

This all carried on to our children's naming ceremonies. Childish behaviour from people in their fifties.

Been there, though thankfully not at mine. I was doing best man for a mate of mine who was in a similar situation re his parents. The girl he was marrying was from out of town, and her old man was president of the local golf club, so they’d decided to have the reception there, in a hall that had a fixed capacity of 200-odd.

His old man was accommodating enough – he just asked if he could bring along his new partner, but his old dear was a complete nightmare and presented my mate with a supposedly non-negotiable 100+ names she wanted invited, half of whom he’d never met.

She was NOT happy when she got telt that they still had to fit in the bride’s family’s guests and the friends of the people actually getting married and that she’d have to knock it down to 20 or 25, and kept up enough of a rearguard action all the way through to the wedding that two or three nights before the actual day, her son was sitting in a pub with me bawling his eyes out that he was ready for sacking the whole thing on account of the grief he was getting off her.

44 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Been there, though thankfully not at mine. I was doing best man for a mate of mine who was in a similar situation re his parents. The girl he was marrying was from out of town, and her old man was president of the local golf club, so they’d decided to have the reception there, in a hall that had a fixed capacity of 200-odd.

His old man was accommodating enough – he just asked if he could bring along his new partner, but his old dear was a complete nightmare and presented my mate with a supposedly non-negotiable 100+ names she wanted invited, half of whom he’d never met.

She was NOT happy when she got telt that they still had to fit in the bride’s family’s guests and the friends of the people actually getting married and that she’d have to knock it down to 20 or 25, and kept up enough of a rearguard action all the way through to the wedding that two or three nights before the actual day, her son was sitting in a pub with me bawling his eyes out that he was ready for sacking the whole thing on account of the grief he was getting off her.

The sensible thing to do is wait until the parents are dead. Hopefully, if they leave you money you can piss off abroad.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Tell her to invite them to her 50/60/70th if she wants to see them all. f**k, even hire the same hall.

• 7 months later...
Been years since I've ventured onto here so hello again!
Looking for wedding prep advice apart from saying "I do" when required! Booked it for March 2020!
Any other advice would be great and stories from your own or other weddings that you've attended would be great to hear.
Did this go ahead?

Our heads are all over the place with what we should do with our January wedding. On one hand surely we'll have found a way to live with the coronavirus by January? On the other it's not inconceivable that we'll still be social distancing, wearing face masks or being bounced in and out of lockdowns...

We really don't want to have to postpone it and we've already chucked about £4k into it which we won't get back. She took out insurance in good time but it doesn't cover cancellation due to government regulations. We feel like come June/July we're going to have to make a decision of keep chucking money at it (probably worst case scenario it gets postponed) or cancel and cut our losses. We've got a few guests including her parents coming from abroad so that causes a bit of a headache.

What are the chances of a normal wedding as planned come January?

12 minutes ago, alr said:

Did this go ahead?

Our heads are all over the place with what we should do with our January wedding. On one hand surely we'll have found a way to live with the coronavirus by January? On the other it's not inconceivable that we'll still be social distancing, wearing face masks or being bounced in and out of lockdowns...

We really don't want to have to postpone it and we've already chucked about £4k into it which we won't get back. She took out insurance in good time but it doesn't cover cancellation due to government regulations. We feel like come June/July we're going to have to make a decision of keep chucking money at it (probably worst case scenario it gets postponed) or cancel and cut our losses. We've got a few guests including her parents coming from abroad so that causes a bit of a headache.

What are the chances of a normal wedding as planned come January?

Normal people don't get married in January.