Weddings

Been years since I've ventured onto here so hello again!

Looking for wedding prep advice apart from saying "I do" when required! Booked it for March 2020!

Any other advice would be great and stories from your own or other weddings that you've attended would be great to hear.

No advice from me but I'm hoping to take advice from the thread too.

Got engaged a month or so ago and our preparations are well under way. With her friends and family coming from all over (mostly south of England) we've set our priorities at making it as hospitable and cheap as possible for guests. We also don't want to go overboard with our own costs whilst appreciating that there's no getting away from spending a small fortune. We've got Comrie Croft booked for January 2021 which is a big DIY/BYOB affair. It includes basic accommodation for 74 people for 2 nights which keeps a lot of people together for the big get together we envisage. My next priority is a good band which will chuck in about 45 minutes of ceilidh - open to recommendations.

The biggest scandal seems to be catering costs.  We're looking to have somewhere between 120 and 150 guests and a lot of companies are giving it £50 a head + VAT + extra for canapes, extra to serve your welcome drinks etc. We won't have much financial help with the wedding so f**k paying 9 grand to feed people for a day. We met up with a caterer recently who's going to do a full Italian dinner (canapes, serve drinks, cut cake etc included) for less than half of that. Mezzalunna, Dundee - She has just started up, brought us some tasters and sent us home with our dinner. Quite happy with that.

Got plenty of time but next steps are band, invite ideas, decor, table names and all that nonsense. Meanwhile mates are itching for stag do locations and she's already sending my honeymoon ideas.

Advice that I've had is that time will go in pretty quickly so time preparing now isn't lost - and plan the day around what you want without worrying about other people's perceptions.  Speeches before dinner.

Been years since I've ventured onto here so hello again!
Looking for wedding prep advice apart from saying "I do" when required! Booked it for March 2020!
Any other advice would be great and stories from your own or other weddings that you've attended would be great to hear.

Go abroad. Only the people you actually like will be there. I went to Vegas, with both sets of parents. Good holiday, good food, nice views, guaranteed weather, good photos.

We had a big party when we got back, still put on food for everyone at night but there was no, mind and invite your aunties, pals, next door neighbours cats uncle.

We got married at 5pm and then just booked a function suite in a hotel nearby for a party.  Hired a band, a buffet and a welcome drinks package and it was still very manageable cost wise.  I know others will be different but going to a wedding for a 2pm start and sitting about waiting for the photos to get done, then the dinner, speeches etc is a long somewhat boring day.  Ceremony, half an hour for photos whilst everyone else made their way to the hotel, speeches, cake, then party time, absolutely brilliant day.

17 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I look forward to @Melanius Mullarkey's input in this thread. 

I have mentioned this on here before but I was once the best man at a wedding in Estonia.  The guests were mostly Russian and my hilarious best man speech was translated as i went along. 

My wedding was quite good fun to be honest as it was the first (and last) time I saw quite a few of my mates.

1 hour ago, alr said:

Got engaged a month or so ago and our preparations are well under way. With her friends and family coming from all over (mostly south of England) we've set our priorities at making it as hospitable and cheap as possible for guests. We also don't want to go overboard with our own costs whilst appreciating that there's no getting away from spending a small fortune. We've got Comrie Croft booked for January 2021 which is a big DIY/BYOB affair. It includes basic accommodation for 74 people for 2 nights which keeps a lot of people together for the big get together we envisage. My next priority is a good band which will chuck in about 45 minutes of ceilidh - open to recommendations.

The biggest scandal seems to be catering costs.  We're looking to have somewhere between 120 and 150 guests and a lot of companies are giving it £50 a head + VAT + extra for canapes, extra to serve your welcome drinks etc. We won't have much financial help with the wedding so f**k paying 9 grand to feed people for a day. We met up with a caterer recently who's going to do a full Italian dinner (canapes, serve drinks, cut cake etc included) for less than half of that. Mezzalunna, Dundee - She has just started up, brought us some tasters and sent us home with our dinner. Quite happy with that.

Got plenty of time but next steps are band, invite ideas, decor, table names and all that nonsense. Meanwhile mates are itching for stag do locations and she's already sending my honeymoon ideas.

Advice that I've had is that time will go in pretty quickly so time preparing now isn't lost - and plan the day around what you want without worrying about other people's perceptions.  Speeches before dinner.

Correct.

My wife and I got married on holiday as we didn’t want a big wedding. We told everyone when we got back and went out for dinner to celebrate. We even had post-wedding hen and stag nights, if that is a thing.

Weddings are great though, just wasn’t what we wanted to do for a number of reasons.

A former colleague of mine went to a wedding where the ceremony was Phantom of the Opera themed (walked down the aisle to the theme) and the reception had a Dirty Dancing theme. Spine snappingly cringey.

My son just got married there this weekend, absolutely fantastic venue. Booked the entire place from Friday to Monday. I’m maybe biased, but it’s the best wedding I’ve ever been to.
No amplified music after 11pm so the band finished up then & there was a silent disco after that, which to my surprise had everyone on the dance floor (young & old).

36 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

My son just got married there this weekend, absolutely fantastic venue. Booked the entire place from Friday to Monday. I’m maybe biased, but it’s the best wedding I’ve ever been to.
No amplified music after 11pm so the band finished up then & there was a silent disco after that, which to my surprise had everyone on the dance floor (young & old).

Did the plook enjoy it?

13 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I imagine it’ll be be “put a fridge on the present list. And lighters.”

Why the f**k would she ask for lighters when she’s got a gas cooker have you not been paying any attention?