Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They can't split in two now, that would drop the Tier 6 leagues down to Tier 7. They'd just have to relegate an extra team, something they should be doing anyway.

Even so I think there's a minimum requirement of 12 teams for a Tier 5 League, so splitting wouldn't work anyway. If they ever go to 20 - they could probably do a 28 game season 1x19 and then a split.

But it's a moot point now.

4 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Even so I think there's a minimum requirement of 12 teams for a Tier 5 League, so splitting wouldn't work anyway. If they ever go to 20 - they could probably do a 28 game season 1x19 and then a split.

But it's a moot point now.

There is no official minimum. The original idea were 10 team divisions. The Highland's idea of 2x 10 divisions when the pyramid started would likely have failed to pass with the SPFL though. As they were only going to have an 18 game season.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

...The three league tier 6 agreement came out of nowhere, ...

Forfar West End's EoS application (followed by Broughty and North End apparently but that's not fully in the public domain) appears to have got certain east region officials to finally focus on what they needed to do ASAP to keep their blazers rather than continuing to push the LL feeder scenario despite the EoS having an effective power of veto.

Perfect timing for that HL feeder outcome with the agreement between the HL, NCL and north region about to be sorted and Brechin City being firmly told to get tae by the tier 5 level about the LL after Ken Ferguson's various playoff related shenanigans had seriously antagonised a lot of influential people.

What subsequently happened with Old Firm colts shows how the LL were potentially open to accepting a bung on the latter part of the equation on taking extra teams as had been claimed on here previously by a Kelty Hearts poster and as was still being attempted by Brechin City after the playoff defeat with support from the SFA board.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 05/08/2021 at 10:09, TheScarf said:

Looking at their squad, they don't have any players who's names I recognise.  Possibly Gary McGowan is the ex ICT youngster.  Jamie Watt as well maybe.  Was he a striker in the HL?  Possibly for Cove? Deveronvale?

Edit - When you see a club from Aberdeen battering everyone, you expect them to be a former HL select, but doesn't seem to be the case here.

If you're meaning BOD, their squad from yesterday had a good half dozen ex-SHFL players involved. Not all were stripped, but their keeper is ex-Turriff, Craig MacAskill is formerly of Keith and Turriff, Neale Allan is formerly of Huntly, and Marc Young was at Keith, Formartine and Charlie Bangers Circus. Of those not featuring, Jamie Redman was at Cove, as was Stuart Duff. Jamie Watt was also at Cove and Vale, though I think he's the manager now. 

Their biggest asset - to me anyway - is they seem to have kept much the same squad for a long time, whereas the rest of the Shire juniors bolt together a team and see it picked apart as players move on or quit or whatever, whereas that BOD squad looks like it's been the same for years. 

Hopefully before long,the HL will become a division of ambitious clubs, all with half decent support, and with grounds that fit the bill. Sounds like some clubs are trying to improve, good luck to them. Seems amazing that some clubs wouldn't want to be promoted, after winning a league, though we had it for years around Bristol - win the County League, but promotion could mean trips to Oxford etc (150 ml round trips) which the players didn't want.Difficult.

On 10/08/2021 at 06:55, Ginaro said:

The East Region handbook now has a section on the Highland pyramid - page 22 https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/media/2826/east-region-handbook-2021_22.pdf - basically looks similar to the Lowland version.

Thanks for posting! This handbook doesn't lay out exactly how the tier 6 play-off would work. I assume it's the same as the Lowland play-off (i.e. home-and-away if only 2 teams, home OR away if three), but it might work differently. In the Lowland League play-off the the rules are set forth in the agreement and can't be changed without all the leagues agreeing. Here the Highland League can change how the tier 6 play-off works unilaterally.

One part I found interesting - if there are 0 or 1 eligible tier 6 champions then all three champions will compete in a play-off anyway to determine the "Highland League Tier 6 Champion."

Edited by Yalay

15 hours ago, Yalay said:

Thanks for posting! This handbook doesn't lay out exactly how the tier 6 play-off would work. I assume it's the same as the Lowland play-off (i.e. home-and-away if only 2 teams, home OR away if three), but it might work differently. In the Lowland League play-off the the rules are set forth in the agreement and can't be changed without all the leagues agreeing. Here the Highland League can change how the tier 6 play-off works unilaterally.

One part I found interesting - if there are 0 or 1 eligible tier 6 champions then all three champions will compete in a play-off anyway to determine the "Highland League Tier 6 Champion."

It seems they have a Highland pyramid liaison group which will be responsible for sorting out the exact play-off format.

Didn't realise there would still be a play-off if no champion is licensed (unlikely of course with BOD in the mix) but I wonder whether the three champions would really want to play another two games at the end of the season just to say they were the North's tier 6 champion?

So have I got this right:

* if 3 are licensed all participate... if 1 are licensed all participate... if 0 are licensed all participate... but if 2 are licensed only they participate, and the other must sit out?

* in scenario where 1 are licensed it doesn't matter how they do they still go up (e.g. say got Golspie, Hermes, Carnoustie: it doesn't matter if Hermes and Carnoustie paste Golspie, they go up as only they are licensed)?

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

* if 3 are licensed all participate... if 1 are licensed all participate... if 0 are licensed all participate... but if 2 are licensed only they participate, and the other must sit out?

* in scenario where 1 are licensed it doesn't matter how they do they still go up (e.g. say got Golspie, Hermes, Carnoustie: it doesn't matter if Hermes and Carnoustie paste Golspie, they go up as only they are licensed)?

They don't go up they go to the playoff with the bottom club in the HFL.

I think the rest is correct.

3 licensed - all 3 play = fine

0 licensed - all 3 play = bit weird but essentially fine

2 licensed - 2 play = makes sense would be weird if the non licensed champion won the competition 

1 licensed - all 3 play = stupid. Licensed championing finishing third but still going into playoff is daft.

I guess in the scenario with 2 clubs they don't want the hassle of trying to work out who is champion is if 2 clubs both end up equal on all counts which is forseeable in a 3 team format.

Same could happen where all 3 involved but there is no alternative 

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Surely they would be ineligible for the play off and the highest licensed team would take their place?

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Surely they would be ineligible for the play off and the highest licensed team would take their place?

No. Its only highest placed team in each league that are eligible for the playoff.

I haven't read the LL rules but they seem to be happy they can declare a champion who finishes second or third 

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

No. Its only highest placed team in each league that are eligible for the playoff.

I haven't read the LL rules but they seem to be happy they can declare a champion who finishes second or third 

They will have updated them for this season. They've not bothered to publish them online though. Probably because the rule would get picked apart.

23 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

* if 3 are licensed all participate... if 1 are licensed all participate... if 0 are licensed all participate... but if 2 are licensed only they participate, and the other mut sit out?

Exactly as it should be.  So get licensed, and be eligible for promotion to the HFL.