Burnie_man

Highland Pyramid

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Rail would probably still have been a factor and Buckie was not on the Inverness to Aberdeen mainline unlike the others.

Buckie Thistle would still have to travel to Inverness by bus and would have had to travel along the coast to Fraserburgh by bus as well. Citadel were always at it.

Peterhead tried to join in 1925 and were knocked back, there was also a Banff FC who were also knocked back. Clach complained that it was costing Inverness teams between £28 - £30 to play at Fraserburgh and Fraserburgh would always turn up in Inverness with a weakened team. Fraserburgh's time in the HL ended after three years due to financial problems through poor home attendances and didn't return until 1928. When they did return they scraped through the vote by 9-8 where as fellow new members Huntly were unanimous.

Reading through the early pages of Highland Hundred with HL football in the 1920's not far off the shenanigans during games and the making-it-up-as-they-go-along decisions involving the North Junior FA and their clubs during the 2000's and early 2010's.

A few wins for Brechin City and they will settle down.

It's almost as if they've been sent into the football wilderness the carry on over not wanting to play in this league.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Funnily enough the nearest club Buckie Thistle were one of the two out of the nine that objected.

Oddly enough... fast-forward ~90yrs and Buckie were only club to vote against HL joining pyramid.

(Cove missed meeting and everyone else voted in favour).

Spey Valley United will be taking a year out as they don't have the resources to cover what's required under COVID protocols.

image.png.6610142ff9dad3acd52d53d0273346a7.png

On 30/05/2021 at 15:51, Snafu said:

Buckie Thistle would still have to travel to Inverness by bus and would have had to travel along the coast to Fraserburgh by bus as well. Citadel were always at it.

Why? They could have taken a train to Elgin and changed for Inverness, or to Aberdeen and changed for Fraserburgh.

Not sure where to put this, but Hermes and Stonehaven have joined the Aberdeenshire FA, joining Banks o' Dee and Dyce as the junior representatives. Hermes will play in Cup, Shield and League, but Stonehaven initially just the League due to lack of the Devil's Lanterns. The article hints they're looking to install them though. Will be interested to see if this materialises as there is an excellent floodlit astro pitch, literally next-door to Glenury Park, at Jim Glennie Park where several of the Stonehaven amateur and youth teams play.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/hermes-and-stonehaven-join-the-aberdeenshire-and-district-fa/

Edited by Cyclizine

10 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Not sure where to put this, but Hermes and Stonehaven have joined the Aberdeenshire FA, joining Banks o' Dee and Dyce as the junior representatives. Hermes will play in Cup, Shield and League, but Stonehaven initially just the League due to lack of the Devil's Lanterns. The article hints they're looking to install them though. Will be interested to see if this materialises as there is an excellent floodlit astro pitch, literally next-door to Glenury Park, at Jim Glennie Park where several of the Stonehaven amateur and youth teams play.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/hermes-and-stonehaven-join-the-aberdeenshire-and-district-fa/

Certainly sounds quite positive with the mention of some others being interested. 

I know the Juniors play fewer league games but it's going to be quite a packed calendar for some of these teams. The North Region Cups, ADFA Cup & Shield, North & Tayside Inter-Regional Cup, Junior Cup (or non-league Scottish Cup being talked about)  as well as the potential of the Scottish Cup if licencing is an aim.

On 08/06/2021 at 09:05, FairWeatherFan said:

Certainly sounds quite positive with the mention of some others being interested. 

I know the Juniors play fewer league games but it's going to be quite a packed calendar for some of these teams. The North Region Cups, ADFA Cup & Shield, North & Tayside Inter-Regional Cup, Junior Cup (or non-league Scottish Cup being talked about)  as well as the potential of the Scottish Cup if licencing is an aim.

Aberdeenshire League is U20 and the Cup/Shield are played midweek up until the semis/final. Hence the need for floodlights. Although the League fixtures are historically Mondays: I don't know if that means Stonehaven U20 will play at Jim Glennie Park instead.

I don't know what Stonehaven's aspirations are. They always seemed like a club with potential to step up and there are are several local youth teams active. Interestingly, in the much quoted junior pyramid survey several years ago, Stonehaven were one of the clubs who voted against.

I wonder if there's going to be a more formal link up with e.g. Stonehaven Youth. I'm not sure how it works at the moment.

Edited by Cyclizine

On 28/05/2021 at 08:44, Marten said:

It's not unlikely that 2 or even 3 teams will be in the PO indeed. I don't think any team other than Golspie can get licensed soon in the NCL (if anyone in the know thinks I'm wrong, please advise), but Golspie could well win the league and there is a decent chance the ML will produce a licensed champion.

Pure speculation on my part, but in addition to Golspie, the following NCL clubs could consider licensing over the next 3 years (or so) 

Alness Utd : have an excellent youth setup, and have secured a new ground at the academy 

Thurso FC : if the club secures a long term lease at the 'Dammies' .  (The town has a population, which is equivalent to, or higher than, several existing HFL clubs)

Halkirk Utd : already have 2 modern covered stands 

St Duthus : another ambitious club, and a ground which could be enclosed without much difficulty

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem.

and then of course we have :

Loch Ness : although I doubt if they have an agreed/ongoing groundshare arrangement at Canal Street (?)

+ Fort William (already licensed) if/when the club is relegated to the NCL.

Gaining approval for, and funding the purchase & installation of floodlights, is a stumbling block for NCL and Junior clubs, alike.

18 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Pure speculation on my part, but in addition to Golspie, the following NCL clubs could consider licensing over the next 3 years (or so) : I think three years is optimistic! I'm all for progress, but need a bit of realism here...

Alness Utd : have an excellent youth setup, and have secured a new ground at the academy. It's going to be a caged astro pitch, so not ideal.

Thurso FC : if the club secures a long term lease at the 'Dammies' .  (The town has a population, which is equivalent to, or higher than, several existing HFL clubs) Would still need properly enclosed, cover and lights and drainage sorted

Halkirk Utd : already have 2 modern covered stands. They also have floodlights, but would need enclosed and the changing rooms are across a road

St Duthus : another ambitious club, and a ground which could be enclosed without much difficulty. Perhaps, but the changing rooms are across the road and there's no cover or lights.

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem. It's a public park, so it probably would be, no cover or lights.

33 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Loch Ness who are basically a T Shirt manufacturer are going to get licensed?

There's no way they'll be able to play at Canal Park long-term. They've got away with it this season because of Covid and the rugby cancelling their season. More likely they'll move to the IRA now Athletic have moved out of the city again.

There's a lack of other potential options in Inverness, realistically. The funding for updated facilities at the Bught will focus on the stadium pitch (shinty) and the amateur pitches. The council won't spend money on football grounds (a topic that's been covered here multiple times).

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

There's no way they'll be able to play at Canal Park long-term. They've got away with it this season because of Covid and the rugby cancelling their season. More likely they'll move to the IRA now Athletic have moved out of the city again.

There's a lack of other potential options in Inverness, realistically. The funding for updated facilities at the Bught will focus on the stadium pitch (shinty) and the amateur pitches. The council won't spend money on football grounds (a topic that's been covered here multiple times).

Very frustrating isn't it. 

University of the Highlands & Islands facility ??

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem.

The path between Canteen Road and Castle Avenue along the south side of the pitch is a public footpath, and is even on Highland Council's core paths plan. When I was there entry was taken by a bucket taken along that touchline soon after kick-off, but folk turned up all through the game on that path and watched all or part of it.

Coldstream had a similar issue and I don't know how they resolved it - maybe the council could give permission for the path to be closed only during matches. The diversion wouldn't add much and it wouldn't be shut often. I think there are even lockable gates at either end. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 00.36.03.png

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 00.38.05.png

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

Very frustrating isn't it. 

University of the Highlands & Islands facility ??

That's what i was thinking but with the pyramid now in place these clubs would need to move again as the UoHi and Canal Park won't be/aren't enclosed and can't really accommodate fans.  Canal Park can but it's see through fencing round it so no one will pay to get in and just stand at the fence and watch the game.

That's a no to licensing right there surely?

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

The path between Canteen Road and Castle Avenue along the south side of the pitch is a public footpath, and is even on Highland Council's core paths plan. When I was there entry was taken by a bucket taken along that touchline soon after kick-off, but folk turned up all through the game on that path and watched all or part of it.

Coldstream had a similar issue and I don't know how they resolved it - maybe the council could give permission for the path to be closed only during matches. The diversion wouldn't add much and it wouldn't be shut often. I think there are even lockable gates at either end. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

It's cut off at the bottom of the photo but Coldstream enclosed it with a fence and added a gate so people can walk through outwith matchdays. Even if it was a core path I'm sure the council would be ok with it being closed for a couple of hours every fortnight. Not really something that would require a section 11 order...

39 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

It's cut off at the bottom of the photo but Coldstream enclosed it with a fence and added a gate so people can walk through outwith matchdays. Even if it was a core path I'm sure the council would be ok with it being closed for a couple of hours every fortnight. Not really something that would require a section 11 order...

Aye, I've been to Coldstream since it was enclosed, I just didn't know what the deal was with the path. For the sake of something like 40 hours a year the community should be able to live with the path being closed. But you always get someone moaning.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

You underestimate the wrath of local area dog walkers.