Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

18 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Think BOD Thistle will run them close soon. They are spending a fair bit of money.

The players they're bringing in seem to be way out of synch with what they've done previously. Could be an interesting season this year. 

Playing their games at Aberdeen Sports Village should give them the inside track on licensing. Aberdeen Uni, Burghead Thistle, Deveronside, Hermes, Longside and Montrose Roselea are others that can't be too far away from being able to do it.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Playing their games at Aberdeen Sports Village should give them the inside track on licensing. Aberdeen Uni, Burghead Thistle, Deveronside, Hermes, Longside and Montrose Roselea are others that can't be too far away from being able to do it.

There's plans for a ground for Bridge of Don Thistle as part of the new development at Cloverhill.

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Bught Park looks set for a major upgrade, so another potential astro pitch with floodlights for Loch Ness or Inverness Athletic to use.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/bught-park-is-set-for-a-major-revamp-that-could-include-arti-239268/

I don't think there's any plans for football facilities though. Doing up the Bught stadium shinty facilities will take up most of the cash, if they get it.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'd add Dyce to the list too.

Their Development side is in the Aberdeenshire Dev League now so signs of a player pathway which seems to be increasingly important now. That in turn gives motivation to get Floodlights etc.

Once clubs are close to Licence standard they may as well go the whole hog and pick up the annual benefits i.e. SFA Cup entry and SFA annual fee.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Funnily enough the nearest club Buckie Thistle were one of the two out of the nine that objected.

Oddly enough... fast-forward ~90yrs and Buckie were only club to vote against HL joining pyramid.

(Cove missed meeting and everyone else voted in favour).

On 30/05/2021 at 15:51, Snafu said:

Buckie Thistle would still have to travel to Inverness by bus and would have had to travel along the coast to Fraserburgh by bus as well. Citadel were always at it.

Why? They could have taken a train to Elgin and changed for Inverness, or to Aberdeen and changed for Fraserburgh.

Not sure where to put this, but Hermes and Stonehaven have joined the Aberdeenshire FA, joining Banks o' Dee and Dyce as the junior representatives. Hermes will play in Cup, Shield and League, but Stonehaven initially just the League due to lack of the Devil's Lanterns. The article hints they're looking to install them though. Will be interested to see if this materialises as there is an excellent floodlit astro pitch, literally next-door to Glenury Park, at Jim Glennie Park where several of the Stonehaven amateur and youth teams play.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/hermes-and-stonehaven-join-the-aberdeenshire-and-district-fa/

Edited by Cyclizine

10 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Not sure where to put this, but Hermes and Stonehaven have joined the Aberdeenshire FA, joining Banks o' Dee and Dyce as the junior representatives. Hermes will play in Cup, Shield and League, but Stonehaven initially just the League due to lack of the Devil's Lanterns. The article hints they're looking to install them though. Will be interested to see if this materialises as there is an excellent floodlit astro pitch, literally next-door to Glenury Park, at Jim Glennie Park where several of the Stonehaven amateur and youth teams play.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/hermes-and-stonehaven-join-the-aberdeenshire-and-district-fa/

Certainly sounds quite positive with the mention of some others being interested. 

I know the Juniors play fewer league games but it's going to be quite a packed calendar for some of these teams. The North Region Cups, ADFA Cup & Shield, North & Tayside Inter-Regional Cup, Junior Cup (or non-league Scottish Cup being talked about)  as well as the potential of the Scottish Cup if licencing is an aim.

On 08/06/2021 at 09:05, FairWeatherFan said:

Certainly sounds quite positive with the mention of some others being interested. 

I know the Juniors play fewer league games but it's going to be quite a packed calendar for some of these teams. The North Region Cups, ADFA Cup & Shield, North & Tayside Inter-Regional Cup, Junior Cup (or non-league Scottish Cup being talked about)  as well as the potential of the Scottish Cup if licencing is an aim.

Aberdeenshire League is U20 and the Cup/Shield are played midweek up until the semis/final. Hence the need for floodlights. Although the League fixtures are historically Mondays: I don't know if that means Stonehaven U20 will play at Jim Glennie Park instead.

I don't know what Stonehaven's aspirations are. They always seemed like a club with potential to step up and there are are several local youth teams active. Interestingly, in the much quoted junior pyramid survey several years ago, Stonehaven were one of the clubs who voted against.

I wonder if there's going to be a more formal link up with e.g. Stonehaven Youth. I'm not sure how it works at the moment.

Edited by Cyclizine