Jump to content
Burnie_man

Highland Pyramid

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like Brechin this year are much closer to Cowdenbeath (or the Shire) than to Berwick Rangers. Feel like the play-off could be closer than a lot of people think - would have the non-league side as slight favourites but I don't think it's inconceivable Brechin could do it.

Agree with this, think they are second favourites but they have been playing - something Kelty and Brora haven't been doing and they have some quality on the pitch in Osman and Barr, albeit both getting on a bit now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Quick glance at both their squads suggests they are using less central belt players than 2-3 years ago.  Still seems to be a market they are willing to work in, but IMO finding more difficult to entice guys to travel with more high paying lowland region teams.  

On brechin,  I haven't followed their plight as much as I probably should, but my understanding is their recent collapse is due to bad decision making rather than lack of finance?  If that is a case they should still find themselves financially able to bring in dundee/aberdeen players in and the odd central belt player willing to travel.  That should be a decent pool of players providing they pick the right ones and use them correctly.

Perhaps for the first season or two while they still have SPFL money, but there is of course the extra travel costs.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like Brechin this year are much closer to Cowdenbeath (or the Shire) than to Berwick Rangers. Feel like the play-off could be closer than a lot of people think - would have the non-league side as slight favourites but I don't think it's inconceivable Brechin could do it.

Don't think we'll ever have such a Cove v Berwick mismatch again. But Brechin have lost to Kelty and Linlithgow in the cups this season though the lack of games might balance things out.

Funnily enough in each of their club 42 seasons, Cowdenbeath were beaten 1-0 at home to East Kilbride in the Scottish Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like Brechin this year are much closer to Cowdenbeath (or the Shire) than to Berwick Rangers. Feel like the play-off could be closer than a lot of people think - would have the non-league side as slight favourites but I don't think it's inconceivable Brechin could do it.

I agree, and as more sides get emptied the standard of the bottom placed side should improve to the point that they're usually capable of holding their own most seasons.  

There'll almost certainly be some different names coming in from the Lowland League (East Kilbride are already displaced to some degree) but none of them are likely to waltz into the national league setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Aberdeen to Brechin is much more preferable than Aberdeen to Keith, specifically because you're not ending the journey in Keith. 

Oi, I had the Mon-Fri commute from Keith to Aberdeen for a while. Might be a 100 mile round trip, but you get used to it soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly OT, but the teams for this summer's Inverness amateur league have been confirmed.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/28-teams-announced-to-play-in-inverness-amateur-summer-leagu-237207/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Premiership – Avoch, Ardersier, Contin, ICM Electrical, IRN Security, Loch Ness, Maryburgh, NMM Sams and Tomatin.

Division One –Balloan, Black Rock Rovers, Charlestelona, Culloden Blacksmith’s, Drakies PDG, Highland Hospice, Hill Rovers, Innes CI and Muir of Ord Rovers.

Division Two – AFC River Ness, Black Isle United, Citadel, Conon Bridge, Gellions, Highland Athletic, Invergordon Social Club, Inverness Athletic, Ness Thistle and Tomatin United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Slightly OT, but the teams for this summer's Inverness amateur league have been confirmed.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/28-teams-announced-to-play-in-inverness-amateur-summer-leagu-237207/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Premiership – Avoch, Ardersier, Contin, ICM Electrical, IRN Security, Loch Ness, Maryburgh, NMM Sams and Tomatin.

Division One –Balloan, Black Rock Rovers, Charlestelona, Culloden Blacksmith’s, Drakies PDG, Highland Hospice, Hill Rovers, Innes CI and Muir of Ord Rovers.

Division Two – AFC River Ness, Black Isle United, Citadel, Conon Bridge, Gellions, Highland Athletic, Invergordon Social Club, Inverness Athletic, Ness Thistle and Tomatin United

There's the odd one or two teams in the  premiership division could quite easily make the step into the NCL if they fancied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Slightly OT, but the teams for this summer's Inverness amateur league have been confirmed.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/28-teams-announced-to-play-in-inverness-amateur-summer-leagu-237207/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Premiership – Avoch, Ardersier, Contin, ICM Electrical, IRN Security, Loch Ness, Maryburgh, NMM Sams and Tomatin.

Division One –Balloan, Black Rock Rovers, Charlestelona, Culloden Blacksmith’s, Drakies PDG, Highland Hospice, Hill Rovers, Innes CI and Muir of Ord Rovers.

Division Two – AFC River Ness, Black Isle United, Citadel, Conon Bridge, Gellions, Highland Athletic, Invergordon Social Club, Inverness Athletic, Ness Thistle and Tomatin United

I've played for 2 or 3 of these teams.  I see both Tomatin sides have moved over from the Speyside/Aviemore region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Slightly OT, but the teams for this summer's Inverness amateur league have been confirmed.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/28-teams-announced-to-play-in-inverness-amateur-summer-leagu-237207/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Premiership – Avoch, Ardersier, Contin, ICM Electrical, IRN Security, Loch Ness, Maryburgh, NMM Sams and Tomatin.

Division One –Balloan, Black Rock Rovers, Charlestelona, Culloden Blacksmith’s, Drakies PDG, Highland Hospice, Hill Rovers, Innes CI and Muir of Ord Rovers.

Division Two – AFC River Ness, Black Isle United, Citadel, Conon Bridge, Gellions, Highland Athletic, Invergordon Social Club, Inverness Athletic, Ness Thistle and Tomatin United

There has been a rumour here on P&B that an Inverness Amateur side was considering entering the NCL next season. Anything new on that at present? A few clubs have left the Amateur league compared to 2020 e.g. Fortrose & Rosemarkie, Gairloch/Aultbea etc. Invergordon SC has come into the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dwl123 said:

There's the odd one or two teams in the  premiership division could quite easily make the step into the NCL if they fancied.

Avoch have always dodged it. Muir of Ord were NCL champions when I was up there, they had a great team. Contin have the park and the history but never seem to have the squad. Watch out for Maryburgh though, if they still have the momentum they had a few years ago, they had the backing and ambition.

Gutted not to see Merkinch on that list 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was curious as to how much further Brechin would have to travel next season if they are relegated to the Highland League, compared to what we know so far about next season if Brechin were to remain in League 2 (i.e. - with Forfar replacing Queen's Park).

I found that a Brechin team bus, going town to town, would travel approximately:

3,184 miles (HL, minus Brora)

3, 522 miles (HL, including Brora)

3, 632 miles (League 2)

So Brechin would likely be travelling fewer miles in the HL next season than they would in L2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, theboke said:

I was curious as to how much further Brechin would have to travel next season if they are relegated to the Highland League, compared to what we know so far about next season if Brechin were to remain in League 2 (i.e. - with Forfar replacing Queen's Park).

I found that a Brechin team bus, going town to town, would travel approximately:

3,184 miles (HL, minus Brora)

3, 522 miles (HL, including Brora)

3, 632 miles (League 2)

So Brechin would likely be travelling fewer miles in the HL next season than they would in L2. 

Mind you, that Wick journey will seem like 5,000+ miles on its own, I would think. Miles won't mean as much when the roads are pretty shite.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ironside8 said:

How's the 'pyramid' up here guys as it's sure as hell a busted flush down here.
 

The Joonyers are dead up here too Gasy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, theboke said:

I was curious as to how much further Brechin would have to travel next season if they are relegated to the Highland League, compared to what we know so far about next season if Brechin were to remain in League 2 (i.e. - with Forfar replacing Queen's Park).

I found that a Brechin team bus, going town to town, would travel approximately:

3,184 miles (HL, minus Brora)

3, 522 miles (HL, including Brora)

3, 632 miles (League 2)

So Brechin would likely be travelling fewer miles in the HL next season than they would in L2. 

Good analysis. But AIUI Brechin's concern is that their players' journeys start many miles south of Brechin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, theboke said:

I was curious as to how much further Brechin would have to travel next season if they are relegated to the Highland League, compared to what we know so far about next season if Brechin were to remain in League 2 (i.e. - with Forfar replacing Queen's Park).

I found that a Brechin team bus, going town to town, would travel approximately:

3,184 miles (HL, minus Brora)

3, 522 miles (HL, including Brora)

3, 632 miles (League 2)

So Brechin would likely be travelling fewer miles in the HL next season than they would in L2. 

As interesting as that is, it is totally irrelevant.  Further up this thread the point has been made that teams in the Highland League aren’t made up of local lads. When Huntly line up for a game it is never going to be eleven lads from Huntly on the pitch.

Guess how many Brechin players live in Brechin?  I’ll give you a ballpark figure. It’s less than one.

The only player we have had recently who could be described as local is Euan Spark and he plays for Elgin now.   Work that one out.

I’m not one of these guys who says there is no way we can get players to come to Brechin.  Far from it, the other Highland League teams prove that point.  Boys that play for these teams travel from all over the North so why couldn’t we have a team of players from Tayside/Aberdeen that would be competitive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

I’m not one of these guys who says there is no way we can get players to come to Brechin.  Far from it, the other Highland League teams prove that point.  Boys that play for these teams travel from all over the North so why couldn’t we have a team of players from Tayside/Aberdeen that would be competitive?

Depends on what you mean by being competitive (i.e. being part of a title race or just being better than the likes of Strathspey). 

Do you think we'd be able to convince players from Dundee to commit to travelling beyond Inverurie every second week rather than play in the upper echelons of the juniors?  If not, then you have to ask what Brechin can offer Aberdeen lads that the more local Locos, Formartine etc can't.  A dual carriageway for convenience?

A fundamental issue is where the players would train.  If we'd want to attract players from both Tayside and Aberdeen then it would need to be in / around Brechin as I seriously doubt that folk would travel from Dundee to Aberdeen for midweek training or vice versa.  However, if it was to be in Brechin, then you'd need to ask why Aberdeen-based players would travel 45 mins out of town when other HL sides are effectively coming to them for training.  That's only going to happen if we want to attract a bang average HL standard player at best, unless finances play a part.  However, if we trained around Aberdeen then you'd imagine that reasons for an Aberdeen-based player opting for Fraserburgh, Buckie or Deveronvale over Brechin would need to be financial, especially if City retained their core support.

Basically, if we wanted to be top end of the table competitive then I reckon we'd need to commit to being Aberdeen or Dundee focussed, and I think that the thought of tapping both isn't particularly realistic.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Depends on what you mean by being competitive (i.e. being part of a title race or just being better than the likes of Strathspey). 

Do you think we'd be able to convince players from Dundee to commit to travelling beyond Inverurie every second week rather than play in the upper echelons of the juniors?  If not, then you have to ask what Brechin can offer Aberdeen lads that the more local Locos, Formartine etc can't.  A dual carriageway for convenience?  That said, you'd imagine that reasons for an Aberdeen-based player opting for Fraserburgh, Buckie or Deveronvale over Brechin would need to be financial, especially if City retained their core support.

Another issue is where the players would train.  If we'd want to attract to players from both Tayside and Aberdeen then it would need to be in / around Brechin.  I seriously doubt that folk would travel from Dundee to Aberdeen for midweek training or vice versa.

When East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers were relegated they never dropped their ticket prices. Don't imagine Brechin would dramatically change their's either. So a decent support for the level and higher match day revenue should mean a financial advantage when competing for players.

Dundee area juniors are likely playing in a 18 team league that will contain the best and worst of the region. With the best being lost to the Highland League over time anyway. It's not going to be as attractive a league to play in. Certainly year one if relegated there would be a higher level league to play in, Scottish Cup, SPFL League Cup and SPFL Challenge Cup to competie in for Brechin.

The right managerial appointment will be key to how Brechin handle any transition to non-league. Assuming there's a managerial change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"When East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers were relegated they never dropped their ticket prices."

The Shire did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...