Burnie_man

Highland Pyramid

8 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

They will need a fair slice of the extra 50k for buses up and down the country. Other costs will increase as well.

Really? How much extra for busses?

8 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

They will need a fair slice of the extra 50k for buses up and down the country. Other costs will increase as well.

Indeed. Not like their current local trips to Wick, Brora, Fort William ...

Once the pyramid gets going, with possible play offs into the Highland and beyond - are there many clubs from the HL downwards, who could actually push on ? Needing financial, a fan base (possibly) and meeting ground criteria (eventually)

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Indeed. Not like their current local trips to Wick, Brora, Fort William ...

Yep once a season. Elgin will be their only local trip. They are an hours travel to Aberdeen before they start.

9 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yep once a season. Elgin will be their only local trip. They are an hours travel to Aberdeen before they start.

Elgin will be in the Championship by the time the Broch make the SPFL...

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Once the pyramid gets going, with possible play offs into the Highland and beyond - are there many clubs from the HL downwards, who could actually push on ? Needing financial, a fan base (possibly) and meeting ground criteria (eventually)

Banks O' Dee, Broughty Athletic and Lochee Utd would be the three best bets. You'd have to get someone else on here to give you the lowdown on Banks O' Dee. Lochee have a bigger support than Broughty (not that that matters really) but Broughty are far closer to meeting the ground criteria at the moment.

18 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Really? How much extra for busses?

I calculate the town-to-town travel for Fraserburgh in the current Highland League, with 16 away return trips,  to be: 2418 miles.

If they had been promoted to replace Brechin in League Two for this season, and the season had run normally, I calculate Fraserburgh's travel, with 18 return away trips, to be: 6560 miles.

Multiply through by £1.25 per litre for diesel and by 4.546 litres per gallon to give £5.68 per gallon.

If the team bus does 5-10 miles per gallon, then divide the total milages by 5 for a maximum travel cost or by 10 for a minimum travel cost.

On that basis, I have Fraserburgh's basic travel costs rising from £1375-£2750 for a season in the Highland League, to £3726-£7452 for a season in the current League Two.

So, if Finlay Noble's right and his club can maintain their present budget whilst avoiding relegation from League Two, he's going to be pocketing ten of thousands in SPFL prize money!

For comparison, Peterhead's mileages are approximately:

3796 (if SPFL Conference East)

4844 (current League One)

5564 (if 18-teamNationalLeague)

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Elgin will be in the Championship by the time the Broch make the SPFL...

The way the play off situation is going there might be more chance right enough😂

3 hours ago, theboke said:

I calculate the town-to-town travel for Fraserburgh in the current Highland League, with 16 away return trips,  to be: 2418 miles.

If they had been promoted to replace Brechin in League Two for this season, and the season had run normally, I calculate Fraserburgh's travel, with 18 return away trips, to be: 6560 miles.

Multiply through by £1.25 per litre for diesel and by 4.546 litres per gallon to give £5.68 per gallon.

If the team bus does 5-10 miles per gallon, then divide the total milages by 5 for a maximum travel cost or by 10 for a minimum travel cost.

On that basis, I have Fraserburgh's basic travel costs rising from £1375-£2750 for a season in the Highland League, to £3726-£7452 for a season in the current League Two.

So, if Finlay Noble's right and his club can maintain their present budget whilst avoiding relegation from League Two, he's going to be pocketing ten of thousands in SPFL prize money!

Point well researched. They have bus hire on top of the diesel costs which will obviously be incorporated in that.

17 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Is Lochee's ground still basically just grass banking round three sides of the park?

Unless they have been busy during lockdown, yes.

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

Is Lochee's ground still basically just grass banking round three sides of the park?

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Unless they have been busy during lockdown, yes.

Work is going on with the aim of getting licensed in 2022.

7 hours ago, theboke said:

Having gone to all that trouble I almost don't want to tell you that bus companies don't charge by the the mile.

1 minute ago, Thom & Gerry said:

The point though is there will be increased travel costs for starters, which you were ridiculing.

I was ridiculing your baseless nonsense that it would be a "fair slice" of 50k

They would of course, have more money coming in, being in the SPFL. 

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Having gone to all that trouble I almost don't want to tell you that bus companies don't charge by the the mile.

I was assuming clubs at that level own their team buses...

21 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Point well researched. They have bus hire on top of the diesel costs which will obviously be incorporated in that.

I also calculated the mileages for all present League One and Two clubs to compare their travel distances in the current structure, with splitting those same teams into West and East conferences, or organising them into a national league of 18 (excluding the biggest clubs, Partick and Falkirk).

The results are near the bottom of page 63 of the League Reconstruction thread in the Fans' Views forum. See below -

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/227671-league-reconstruction-lets-hear-your-view/page/63/#comments

Tayport have made numerous improvements over the summer so I guess an application for a license would not be too onerous.  Their facilities were pretty decent already.  I noted trenches being dug around the park so some form of lighting is already on the cards. 

Edited by superbigal

Interesting mileage stuff,guess movement up the league's would like to coincide with a generous sponsor,to cover extra costs. Be good to see what improvements have been made to various grounds during lockdowns. With the extra mileage, I wonder if travelling times (there and back) play a part in players signing, especially part timers.