Jump to content
Burnie_man

Highland Pyramid

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

I must admit i don't know a great deal about the north juniors but would Ellon and Stonehaven not be able/intrested to support teams that could progress in the pyramid? 

Ellon United & Stonehaven tend to get a shout as people see them has clubs that can grow. On the pitch pedigree wise they tend to be Super league level. 

But they'd need floodlights, cover, and who knows what else to get up to standard. So if you have some spare cash lying around, I doubt they'd mind getting a donation :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, Stonehaven were one of the roughly third of north clubs that voted against the pyramid in the survey a couple of years ago, whereas Ellon voted in favour.

I've said it several times before, but it's important to realise that those clubs able, willing and with potential to step up from the north juniors to the Highland League have essentially already done so. There is less depth in the North in trends of clubs and ability, simply reflective of population and geography. The majority of North Region clubs outwith a couple are essentially amateur in all but name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

From Fitbanorth's Man in the know.

image.thumb.png.0999b931708760eb9cb40b315e9bea7f.png

Hopefully the North Juniors can get their finger out now. Although I imagine there might be more required of them since Highland and NCL are ran similiarly from a rules and regs standpoint.

I can see why they're alright going with just the NCL if there is a relegation element to the agreement. Most clubs in risk of relegation would expect to challenge for the NCL title if they were to drop down. It's good to see it getting done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Hopefully the North Juniors can get their finger out now. Although I imagine there might be more required of them since Highland and NCL are ran similiarly from a rules and regs standpoint.

I can see why they're alright going with just the NCL if there is a relegation element to the agreement. Most clubs in risk of relegation would expect to challenge for the NCL title if they were to drop down. It's good to see it getting done.

I think the North Juniors are finally beginning to see where the wind's blowing, but I expect they'll take years to do anything about it. It will be good for the NCL to solidly establish themselves in tier 6 before they do, otherwise they could get swamped by the Aberdeenshire mob and potentially Tayside in the negotiations.

Edited by welshbairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two questions about relegation.

1. So long as there are 17 clubs, is there any need for relegation? One team promoted would make a more sensible 18-team league.

2. If say Fort William or Wick were relegated, the NCL would suit them geographically. But what about Fraserburgh, Turriff etc? There's nowhere sensible for them to go until (or unless) the Juniors come on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Two questions about relegation.

1. So long as there are 17 clubs, is there any need for relegation? One team promoted would make a more sensible 18-team league.

2. If say Fort William or Wick were relegated, the NCL would suit them geographically. But what about Fraserburgh, Turriff etc? There's nowhere sensible for them to go until (or unless) the Juniors come on board.

1. There's no need currently for relegation, or the pyramid really, all ambitious clubs need to do is apply. Banks o' Dee were basically given an open invite last year, no interest.

2. There's zero chance of Fraserburgh getting relegated any time soon. Turriff weren't too far off bottom spot last year, but with the new rules coming in banning becoming the Caley Colts again with 9 loan players, Fort William are near dead certs for the bottom spot again. I think they're better suited to the NCL anyway, unless their efforts to sort their drainage works out and they can actually play home games between October and April. The likelihood is that if it's not Fort it would be Strathspey Thistle, or in recent years Lossie or even Clach who would be in danger of regulation, so not a problem. If an Eastern team was bottom before the North Juniors were integrated they'd probably just cancel relegation for that season, it's been said before that the Highland League could go to 20 before having to do something about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for relegation, maybe, but are the SFA still keen on Tier 5 leagues having a maximum 16 clubs?

I never saw the need to specify really, but there you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Two questions about relegation.

1. So long as there are 17 clubs, is there any need for relegation? One team promoted would make a more sensible 18-team league.

2. If say Fort William or Wick were relegated, the NCL would suit them geographically. But what about Fraserburgh, Turriff etc? There's nowhere sensible for them to go until (or unless) the Juniors come on board.

Relegation isn't exactly a pressing concern. Golspie Sutherland are the only licenced club. No guarantee of winning the championship and some of the other clubs are scrambling for grounds, let alone got round to worry about licencing. Alness spent the year out and moving to a high school when it opens, Inverness Athletic just moved back to Muir of Ord, Loch Ness are basically wherever they can get in Inverness.

Chances are the Highland League will set 18 clubs in the same way the Lowland League has 16. Gives space for the North Juniors to get their act together and have it be more balanced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

the Caley Colts

Speaking of which. Its not looking great for their academy

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/crunch-time-for-caley-thistle-youth-academy-207194/

Complaining about the travel further South you can understand why they tried to get into the Highland League. Maybe they'll try again or try for a team in the NCL in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

From Fitbanorth's Man in the know.

image.thumb.png.0999b931708760eb9cb40b315e9bea7f.png

Niall's got a book out btw, including "A detailed insight into what a Tier 6 could mean for football in the North.".

http://www.tainpost.co.uk/review/

 

Edited by welshbairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there enough interest in the North over expansion, feeder league's etc ? what with the travelling and the costs involved. Can't see there being enough fans, players to back up any  restructure plans, everyone happy with the current set up.With both HL and LL 16/18 clubs, the battle royal will always be in the south. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

everyone happy with the current set up.

If that was true the NCL wouldn't have been working on this since they had their vote for the pyramid at their 2018 AGM. And the Highland League wouldn't have been entertaining it.

Its about access more than anything. Very little changes for the majority of clubs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Is there enough interest in the North over expansion, feeder league's etc ? what with the travelling and the costs involved. Can't see there being enough fans, players to back up any  restructure plans, everyone happy with the current set up.With both HL and LL 16/18 clubs, the battle royal will always be in the south. 

The north caledonian league are mad keen on entering the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No need for relegation, maybe, but are the SFA still keen on Tier 5 leagues having a maximum 16 clubs?

I never saw the need to specify really, but there you go.

Haven't heard of any pressure on the HL, and I don't understand the reasoning either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Haven't heard of any pressure on the HL, and I don't understand the reasoning either. 

The reasoning has always been about getting the league completed in time for the playoff. More was made of the need  of a 16 team set up in the Lowland League was due to the lack of floodlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been zero pressure on the SHFL about getting down to 16 as far as anyone knows. IIRC the league was adamant it wouldn't be reducing in numbers to fit the pyramid during the negotiations prior to it starting. Given the noise about how no one wants to restart without fans in the ground - ie, corporate fans, you scum paying at the gate don't count - I'd guess a reduction in league fixtures wouldn't go down well.  

Lowland League sides seems to play an insane amount of cup competitions compared to the SHFL, so it probably works out about square in terms of games played per season. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Lowland League sides seems to play an insane amount of cup competitions compared to the SHFL, so it probably works out about square in terms of games played per season. 

Discounting the Scottish Cup and SPFL Challenge Cup invites:

Highland League

  1. Highland League Cup
  2. Aberdeenshire Cup
  3. Aberdeenshire Shield
  4. North of Scotland Cup

Lowland League

  1. Lowland League Cup
  2. South Region Challenge Cup
  3. EoS Qualifying Cup (winner/qualifiers contest the EoS Cup)
  4. Southern Counties Challenge Cup
  5. Fife Cup

Don't know if you have to be a member of the Aberdeenshire & District FA or North of Scotland FA to be in the Highland League, so as far as i'm aware there's just the one cup commitment. The Lowland League area only has two commitments. Everything else is extra.

A member of the Aberdeenshire & District FA has the potential of playing more cups than a Lowland League side. As there are clubs like East Stirlingshire, BSC Glasgow, and Cumbernauld Colts that don't compete in the local FA cup competitions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...