Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Burn their ground down and kill their first born!

Have you and the other pyramid zealots never thought that some teams don't see the situation in the same way that you do?  I quite like the whole Junior set-up. A lot of Junior teams do too. They have no option but to comply, but will the pyramid be of benefit to wee village sides like Auchinleck who have a status that they, IMHO, will never get as part of the pyramid? City sides like Cove will prosper through catchment areas and more sponsorship opportunities but will wee countryside teams?

The Juniors voted to join the pyramid years ago. The hold up was how it happened.

Who forced Talbot to apply for the WoSL?

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Burn their ground down and kill their first born!

Have you and the other pyramid zealots never thought that some teams don't see the situation in the same way that you do?  I quite like the whole Junior set-up. A lot of Junior teams do too. They have no option but to comply, but will the pyramid be of benefit to wee village sides like Auchinleck who have a status that they, IMHO, will never get as part of the pyramid? City sides like Cove will prosper through catchment areas and more sponsorship opportunities but will wee countryside teams?

WoSL league for this pish.

9 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

City sides like Cove will prosper through catchment areas and more sponsorship opportunities but will wee countryside teams?

If anything the opposite. Wee village teams, like Ross County, generally represent an area rather than just their own wee village. Talbot get supporters from as far afield as the northern end of Dumfries and Galloway. Clubs in cities, or big towns, are already battling a long established side to get their support up. I think we're far more likely to see someone like Gala Fairydean Rovers or Wick trouble the SPFL before Craigroyston or Bonnyton

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Looking at potential newcomers to the Highland Pyramid I'm wondering who could go on to challenge for the SPFL*

Without some sugar daddy situation I can only really foresee Orkney from the NCL potentially pushing on to that level.
Banks O'Dee seem to have the North region sewn up and can't see Aberdeen sustaining more than three clubs so doubt East End or Hermes will follow them. Of the rest Stonehaven have a decent sized population around them. Maybe Culter
Lochee and Carnoustie from the East for me. I presume Tayport would be Lowland League bound.

Any others?

*I know that's not the sole of the pyramid but there's no football on and I'm bored

On 1 September 2019 at 18:29, LongTimeLurker said:

...at their own pace based on local circumstances and don't insist that the Tayside juniors have to be imposed on them for your own selfish self-interest reasons, if the HL, North juniors and NCL are quite happy doing what they've always done and the Tayside juniors have no huge desire to ever be in the HL.

Guessed you'd be on here.

Surprise surprise.

3 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

All the usual suspects appearing on here i see.

Wait. Are you surprised that the same people who post on this messageboard with an interest in the non-league game in Scotland are posting on a thread, on this messageboard, about the non-league game in Scotland?

That's hilarious.

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wait. Are you surprised that the same people who post on this messageboard with an interest in the non-league game in Scotland are posting on a thread, on this messageboard, about the non-league game in Scotland?

That's hilarious.

Would be better certain people owned up to being officials in the game.

Pyramid fair enough but on the clubs terms.

Just now, Tutankhamen said:

Would be better certain people owned up to being officials in the game.

Pyramid fair enough but on the clubs terms.

Aside from it not being the conference system, which the clubs preferred, how is it not on the clubs terms?

Indeed, correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not want the West Regions to be moved over as it was so this is closer to your original preference is it not?

24 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Looking at potential newcomers to the Highland Pyramid I'm wondering who could go on to challenge for the SPFL*

Without some sugar daddy situation I can only really foresee Orkney from the NCL potentially pushing on to that level.
Banks O'Dee seem to have the North region sewn up and can't see Aberdeen sustaining more than three clubs so doubt East End or Hermes will follow them. Of the rest Stonehaven have a decent sized population around them. Maybe Culter
Lochee and Carnoustie from the East for me. I presume Tayport would be Lowland League bound.

Any others?

*I know that's not the sole of the pyramid but there's no football on and I'm bored

None really. Certainly not right now with their present circumstances. The likes of Formartine United were meant to have a sugar daddy for that level which is what helped get them into the Highland League in the first place. They've yet to win the league, albeit coming close a couple of times.

Since this year's North Super League has been scrapped. This has been the performance of clubs since its inception.

image.png.682a017ef6664accc5feb66385bf3a66.png

(a) formerly Wilson's XI, Hillhead, Newburgh Thistle
(b) clubs merged to form Stoneywood Parkvale
*Sunnybank 9 pts deducted
* Bridge of Don Thistle 4pts deducted
* Banchory St Ternan 8 pts deducted
* Hall Russ United 2 pts awarded
* FC Stoneywood 3pts awarded, 4pts deducted

Banks O'dee are probably your best bet to take on the place of Cove Rangers in the non-league North if they can be bothered to join the Highland League. Other than that too many of the clubs have to invest in their facilities before than can then focus on squads capable of winning the Highland League.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If anything the opposite. Wee village teams, like Ross County, generally represent an area rather than just their own wee village. Talbot get supporters from as far afield as the northern end of Dumfries and Galloway. Clubs in cities, or big towns, are already battling a long established side to get their support up. I think we're far more likely to see someone like Gala Fairydean Rovers or Wick trouble the SPFL before Craigroyston or Bonnyton

Ross County are hardly representative of wee village teams. Where would they be without a committed, rich personal backer? And good luck to them.  City sides generally have a better chance of attracting a well-heeled backer.  I don't see Craigroyston or Bonnyton troubling anyone either, but Pollok might. BSC have no fans and no ground but decent financial backing. They're doing ok.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Any others?

I can see both doing a fairly decent job in a tier 5 league, but I don't think either would realistically challenge for the SPFL. With already 6 SPFL clubs in Dundee & Angus it's already quite crowded and if we're going up from tier 6 it would be difficult to compete for players.

Wee village teams, like Ross County, generally represent an area rather than just their own wee village.

The "wee village" get most of their support from bitter ex Thistle and Caledonian fans in the "wee city" of Inverness.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

What choice did they have?

To stay junior. The LL didn't ask for this. They would have bitten your hand off for 10 -18 teams at tier 6 west 

Also don't kid yourself Talbot werent one of the first to explore WoSL membership even if they weren't as vocal as Kilwinning and Clydebank.

Anyway to go back to your original whine and to keep this HL focussed. Nobody is saying BoD should have to join the pyramid but that Scottish Cup places and licensing should be tied into pyramid participation.

If clubs feel junior is where they need to be that's great, I wish more in WoS had done so. But they shouldnt be anywhere near Scottish Cup places.

Edited by invergowrie arab

16 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's hilarious.

I've had one red dotting nutter who thought I was Tom Johnston's stooge and now have one who seems to think I'm an LL official and directly to blame for what happened with the WoS conferences. Think that suggests I have a well balanced opinion on pyramid related matters. They can red dot away if that keeps them amused and makes life easier for the people who have to deal with them away from cyberspace. Ah coodnae gie a dokken.

Edited by LongTimeLurker