Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Inverness City chose the North Juniors over the NCL, to be in a more competitive league I think. 

Sadly, Inverness City didn't last very long after the club's transfer to the Juniors.  They were over ambitious.

Inverness Athletic and Loch Ness are going strong in the NCL, despite having the same ground problems as City faced.

Edited by Robert James
typo

Despite pyramid status you get the impression the ongoing existence of the NCL isn't something you would stick your house on.

Teams failiing to raise a side, teams continuing to sit it out, teams with no ground etc

No harm to those involved I think it's a tough geography to make winter leagues work which is partly why shinty binned it. 

I'm not sure the addition of Clach or FW strengthens the NCL or puts those clubs in danger.

Anyway early days , maybe it won't be so bad. 

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Despite pyramid status you get the impression the ongoing existence of the NCL isn't something you would stick your house on.

Teams failiing to raise a side, teams continuing to sit it out, teams with no ground etc

No harm to those involved I think it's a tough geography to make winter leagues work which is partly why shinty binned it. 

I'm not sure the addition of Clach or FW strengthens the NCL or puts those clubs in danger.

South of Scotland league isnt much better with clubs taking a season out or going out of business altogether.

Heston Rovers being the latest casualty......

The NCL and SoSFL are the poor neighbor's in the north and south pyramid no doubt about that.

21 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

South of Scotland league isnt much better with clubs taking a season out or going out of business altogether.

The NCL and SoSFL are the poor neighbor's in the north and south pyramid no doubt about that.

Let's not forget the South have been in the pyramid since the start. While the North Caley have also flown the flag for senior football up north - albeit in a qualified way - for decades.

They may effectively cater for amateur football in their areas, and lack the strength of West and Midland or even the numbers of North Juniors, but they've played their part.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Let's not forget the South have been in the pyramid since the start. While the North Caley have also flown the flag for senior football up north - albeit in a qualified way - for decades.

They may effectively cater for amateur football in their areas, and lack the strength of West and Midland or even the numbers of North Juniors, but they've played their part.

Well aware of that HJ and fair play to them,I've had correspondence with Niall from St.Duthus and they're now a very well run club with ambition to go higher.

I've no gripe with either the SoSFL or the NCL,yeah as I said above their the poor relations north and south, but for me they both deserve to be where they are,they're both in parts of the country that are sparsely populated and are representing both areas in the pyramid.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

On 06/07/2021 at 20:29, Whitburn Vale said:

The NCL has increased its club membership from 5 to 12 during the last decade, which is positive.  However, geography and climate in the north & west highlands, is very challenging, but (like the South of Scotland League), their participation in the pyramid is remarkable.

It should also be noted that the North Junior League has 2 clubs who are going into "abeyance" for 2021/22, namely Spey Valley United and Buckie Rovers.  Will they return  in the future?   

On 06/07/2021 at 20:29, Whitburn Vale said:

I can remember when the SoS had only a handful of teams. 

Teams come and go (Airdrie, Clydebank, Gretna and Rangers, for example), so it’s not particularly surprising that this happens also at the bottom of the pyramid. 

On 06/07/2021 at 15:01, invergowrie arab said:

Somewhat disingenuous....., me thinks  !

The NCL dates back to its formation in 1896/97 as the North of Scotland Junior League, and its first champions were Inverness Celtic FC. In 1935/36. The league dropped  "Junior" from its title, and became the North of Scotland ('2nd XI') League, as it was dominated by  the 3 Inverness Reserve clubs, Ross County, and Brora Rangers.,  Reserve XI's. 

During this period however,  Invergordon FC,   Avoch Rovers,   Dingwall Thistle (x2), and the Highland Light Infantry , each won the NOSL championship., despite the continuing presence of most of the Reserve XI's. The league was also recognised by the SFA, as being a senior league.

By the end of the 70's, most of the Reserve XI;s had dropped out, and the league's title was changed  to the North Caledonian League, and it has continued as such for the last 40+ years. 

In my opinion, the NCL is not at risk of disappearing, and is likely to further strengthen now that it has Tier 6 Pyramid status.

17 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Biggest question for me is, with the pyramid now in place (albeit dodgy foundations)  are there enough players to go around these clubs ? Add to this, the possible expense on ground upgrades down the line, guess that only the ambitious and financially sound clubs would climb the ladder. 

Don't see why not, there aren't any new clubs, just some pre existing amateur teams venturing into winter football for the first time.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

Somewhat disingenuous....., me thinks  !

The NCL dates back to its formation in 1896/97 as the North of Scotland Junior League, and its first champions were Inverness Celtic FC. In 1935/36. The league dropped  "Junior" from its title, and became the North of Scotland ('2nd XI') League, as it was dominated by  the 3 Inverness Reserve clubs, Ross County, and Brora Rangers.,  Reserve XI's. 

During this period however,  Invergordon FC,   Avoch Rovers,   Dingwall Thistle (x2), and the Highland Light Infantry , each won the NOSL championship., despite the continuing presence of most of the Reserve XI's. The league was also recognised by the SFA, as being a senior league.

By the end of the 70's, most of the Reserve XI;s had dropped out, and the league's title was changed  to the North Caledonian League, and it has continued as such for the last 40+ years. 

In my opinion, the NCL is not at risk of disappearing, and is likely to further strengthen now that it has Tier 6 Pyramid status.

What's disingenuous about it?

6 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Biggest question for me is, with the pyramid now in place (albeit dodgy foundations)  are there enough players to go around these clubs ? Add to this, the possible expense on ground upgrades down the line, guess that only the ambitious and financially sound clubs would climb the ladder. 

Fair comment.  According to the recent newspaper article in the Courier/P&J, three of the NCL clubs have declared an interest in aiming for the HFL, now that the pyramid is in place.

6 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

I'd have to guess there are almost certainly going to be problems with getting enough players. Covid has probably knocked a good few out of the game forever, or at least for a while as eighteen months of sitting of not taking it seriously, and there were always players of a mind to play in a league that suited them to avoid excessive travel or to allow them to play in the summer also.

The arrival of Turriff and Formartine had an effect of the playing pool in the mid-Shire area, tipping the league in favour of Cove for ten years, and there's going to be a whole lot more shuffling about in the coming seasons. 

Not sure how many clubs are going to go down the route of ground improvements with a view to promotion. I was told Bridge of Don are committed to promotion as soon as possible, and their transfers in so far would suggest that's true. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I'd have to guess there are almost certainly going to be problems with getting enough players. Covid has probably knocked a good few out of the game forever, or at least for a while as eighteen months of sitting of not taking it seriously, and there were always players of a mind to play in a league that suited them to avoid excessive travel or to allow them to play in the summer also.

The arrival of Turriff and Formartine had an effect of the playing pool in the mid-Shire area, tipping the league in favour of Cove for ten years, and there's going to be a whole lot more shuffling about in the coming seasons. 

Not sure how many clubs are going to go down the route of ground improvements with a view to promotion. I was told Bridge of Don are committed to promotion as soon as possible, and their transfers in so far would suggest that's true. 

It will be interesting, but very challenging for the smaller clubs, across the north (and elsewhere)

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I was told Bridge of Don are committed to promotion as soon as possible, and their transfers in so far would suggest that's true. 

From what I hear, their new ground as part of the Cloverhill development is less than certain and even then it sounds like it's going to be a chicken-wire fence around a pitch à la Stoneywood Parkvale. I suppose there's licenced grounds in the area for groundshares. It's not as if BODT have ever actually played in Bridge of Don...

Edited by Cyclizine

18 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

You can't expect suddenly loads of teams getting licensed like in the Lowland part of the pyramid. There just aren't the teams & facilities around yet. In the Midlands League for example, people I've spoken to reckon Lochee United & Tayport have a good chance to get licensed at the first attempt, but that might be it. I thought Broughty too but apparently quite a few work needs to be done on facilities so it remains to be seen if they manage it that quickly.

Obviously the player pool is smaller as well. But there is definitely potential, the Dundee area can definitely handle a few tier 5 teams and potentially get players. Should we get promoted, we might be in a great position to pick up players from Dundee/Angus who just don't make it in the SPFL, combined with possibly some loans of talented youngsters from Dundee FC & United.

Edited by Marten

I suspect Tayport are hedging their bets on Licensing for now. They have completed all the foundations and cabling for floodlights. I guess you then have the planning and extra costs to actually get the lights in place. Possibly acceleration if you are in with a genuine chance of the title in the Autumn.
That and the obvious you can only do as much at a time as the budget dictates.
What is 100% clear is they will be going for Licensing.
If the same is true for Lochee, Broughty and Carnoustie then the highland league should expect a Tayside presence or 2 within the.next 3 years.
There is no doubt all of these teams would see of whoever finishes bottom of the Highland League.
Bank's of Dee being the fly in the ointment.