Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm not sure there is any evidence BoD are better than Lochee or Broughty 

North-&-Tayside Cup results recently concur:

2019-20     Carnoustie 1-1 Banks o'Dee (3-5p)

2018-19     Broughty 2-1 Banks o'Dee

This should also hopefully mean another qualifier to the Scottish Cup in the shape of an unlicenced champion.

With the North Region and Midlands staying under the SJFA banner it'd be doubtful to see the Northern equivalent of the East, South & West Cup Winners' Shield getting created anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Yeah get that IA,time will tell I suppose.

Will see if the Tayside teams can get licensed in time,otherwise it's a free bat at the baw for BoD...

If Golspie Sutherland win the NCL,they'll be dispatched by BoD,as will Fort if they finish bottom of the HL this season. 

The gap between the juniors and the top 3 or 4 clubs in the NCL, has narrowed in recent years :

SCOTTISH FA CUP 2019/20

Preliminary Round 2

Banks O'Dee   2   Golspier Sutherland   0

Great News confirming the Midland League, the North Caledonian League, & the North Region Junior Superleague being granted Pyramid Tier 6 status. However, I am surprised that  the NRJS has retained "Junior" in its League title.

Edited by Robert James
typo

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Doesn't look like the Spey boundary is going to be used for a relegated side.

That’ll be annoying when you have Fort William in the NCL, if/when Clach go down they choose the North Juniors then Nairn go down and choose the NCL… all a bit messy

43 minutes ago, Spyro said:

That’ll be annoying when you have Fort William in the NCL, if/when Clach go down they choose the North Juniors then Nairn go down and choose the NCL… all a bit messy

It's not that messy. You've just mentioned 3 different relegations, and I don't imagine the Highland Pyramid is likely to look like it is now in a number of years. With there already being talk in the Juniors of a joint top league you might see that held off on. Being replaced by a Highland League 2 idea to take in all the new licenced clubs

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

It'll likely get codified eventually but kicking that can down the road for a bit is worth it to get the show on the road. Why would Clach choose the North Juniors anyway? I was wondering whether Fort would be better off choosing Tayside, they've got long trips wherever they choose, and the Midland League would go livid! :lol: A lot shorter for them travelling to Lochee than Scourie for example.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, rockson said:

Would they do something like that just for devilment do you think?

They've had the odd people on social media sounding bitter about the Highland League, hinting that the Pyramid is just a ploy to get rid of them, not sure how prevalent that view is though. So who knows?

Edited by welshbairn

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They've had the odd people on social media sounding bitter about the Highland League, hinting that the Pyramid is just a ploy to get rid of them, not sure how prevalent that view is though. So who knows?

If I were a Fort William supporter I would welcome the pyramid. Now the club has an objective it might actually achieve (i.e. avoiding relegation). And if the club is relegated, it would finally be at a level where it can be competitive.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's not that messy. You've just mentioned 3 different relegations, and I don't imagine the Highland Pyramid is likely to look like it is now in a number of years. With there already being talk in the Juniors of a joint top league you might see that held off on. Being replaced by a Highland League 2 idea to take in all the new licenced clubs

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It'll likely get codified eventually but kicking that can down the road for a bit is worth it to get the show on the road. Why would Clach choose the North Juniors anyway? I was wondering whether Fort would be better off choosing Tayside, they've got long trips wherever they choose, and the Midland League would go livid! :lol: A lot shorter for them travelling to Lochee than Scourie for example.

I was just being facetious tbh, I can see it not being a problem by the time the circumstances come round… but we thought that about the WoS/EoS vs WL clubs fiasco and we all saw how much of a drama that turned into!

I know Clach have previous links to the NCL (running a ‘B’ team for a while) so I would be interesting to see what they chose… if it ever came to it. Genuinely hope it doesn’t btw, as much as I like a wee playful dig from time to time.

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

I was just being facetious tbh, I can see it not being a problem by the time the circumstances come round… but we thought that about the WoS/EoS vs WL clubs fiasco and we all saw how much of a drama that turned into!

I know Clach have previous links to the NCL (running a ‘B’ team for a while) so I would be interesting to see what they chose… if it ever came to it. Genuinely hope it doesn’t btw, as much as I like a wee playful dig from time to time.

I think it's fair to say they're doing things differently up in the North. I never saw anyone online suggest a relegation play-off for instance.

The Spey boundary suggestion was only due to apply to the relegated HL side, there was going to be instances of the leagues overlapping each other regardless in that case.

With the 31st July due to be the deadline to nominate which league they would want to be relegated to, we might finding out who has picked where. That'd certainly make things clearer as to who and why no boundary has been put in place.

Fort would be as well joining he WOS League.  They're probably closer to half the teams in that.  Travelling down a cunt of a road,  granted.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think it's fair to say they're doing things differently up in the North. I never saw anyone online suggest a relegation play-off for instance.

The Spey boundary suggestion was only due to apply to the relegated HL side, there was going to be instances of the leagues overlapping each other regardless in that case.

With the 31st July due to be the deadline to nominate which league they would want to be relegated to, we might finding out who has picked where. That'd certainly make things clearer as to who and why no boundary has been put in place.

I'd like to see the NCL catchment area moved further West eventually, might even up the trio a bit. Not sure how clubs like Burghead would think about it but if I was a supporter I think I'd welcome it. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Fort would be as well joining he WOS League.  They're probably closer to half the teams in that.  Travelling down a c**t of a road,  granted.

If the bulk of their squad is Inverness-based as I'm sure was suggested previously, then that wouldn't be the case for the players. And there's no chance of players already in the West catchment area choosing to play for Fort William as they plummet down division after division.

17 hours ago, Spyro said:

Clach will never join the North Juniors !

The more interesting question is whether Nairn St Ninian will transfer to the 'easier' NCL  in a year or two ?   They are located within the NCL area.  And which league will Lossiemouth chose, if relegated from the HFL ?

Edited by Robert James
typo

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd like to see the NCL catchment area moved further West eventually, might even up the trio a bit. Not sure how clubs like Burghead would think about it but if I was a supporter I think I'd welcome it. 

What's pretty clear is no one is being forced into doing anything. So all the formats and boundaries talk seems particularly fruitless. It's always been said that the majority of clubs in the North aren't really aiming for the Highland League. It would be a struggle enough to get an SFA licence.

It's understandable then that no one is ripping up what's already there for a nice, neat pyramid format.

21 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Clach will never join the North Juniors !

The more interesting question is whether Nairn St Ninian will transfer to the 'easier' NCL  in a year or two ?   They are located within the NCL area.  And which league will Lossiemouth chose, if relegated from the HFL ?

Inverness City chose the North Juniors over the NCL, to be in a more competitive league I think.