Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

On 28/05/2021 at 08:44, Marten said:

It's not unlikely that 2 or even 3 teams will be in the PO indeed. I don't think any team other than Golspie can get licensed soon in the NCL (if anyone in the know thinks I'm wrong, please advise), but Golspie could well win the league and there is a decent chance the ML will produce a licensed champion.

Pure speculation on my part, but in addition to Golspie, the following NCL clubs could consider licensing over the next 3 years (or so) 

Alness Utd : have an excellent youth setup, and have secured a new ground at the academy 

Thurso FC : if the club secures a long term lease at the 'Dammies' .  (The town has a population, which is equivalent to, or higher than, several existing HFL clubs)

Halkirk Utd : already have 2 modern covered stands 

St Duthus : another ambitious club, and a ground which could be enclosed without much difficulty

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem.

and then of course we have :

Loch Ness : although I doubt if they have an agreed/ongoing groundshare arrangement at Canal Street (?)

+ Fort William (already licensed) if/when the club is relegated to the NCL.

Gaining approval for, and funding the purchase & installation of floodlights, is a stumbling block for NCL and Junior clubs, alike.

18 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Pure speculation on my part, but in addition to Golspie, the following NCL clubs could consider licensing over the next 3 years (or so) : I think three years is optimistic! I'm all for progress, but need a bit of realism here...

Alness Utd : have an excellent youth setup, and have secured a new ground at the academy. It's going to be a caged astro pitch, so not ideal.

Thurso FC : if the club secures a long term lease at the 'Dammies' .  (The town has a population, which is equivalent to, or higher than, several existing HFL clubs) Would still need properly enclosed, cover and lights and drainage sorted

Halkirk Utd : already have 2 modern covered stands. They also have floodlights, but would need enclosed and the changing rooms are across a road

St Duthus : another ambitious club, and a ground which could be enclosed without much difficulty. Perhaps, but the changing rooms are across the road and there's no cover or lights.

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem. It's a public park, so it probably would be, no cover or lights.

33 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Loch Ness who are basically a T Shirt manufacturer are going to get licensed?

There's no way they'll be able to play at Canal Park long-term. They've got away with it this season because of Covid and the rugby cancelling their season. More likely they'll move to the IRA now Athletic have moved out of the city again.

There's a lack of other potential options in Inverness, realistically. The funding for updated facilities at the Bught will focus on the stadium pitch (shinty) and the amateur pitches. The council won't spend money on football grounds (a topic that's been covered here multiple times).

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

There's no way they'll be able to play at Canal Park long-term. They've got away with it this season because of Covid and the rugby cancelling their season. More likely they'll move to the IRA now Athletic have moved out of the city again.

There's a lack of other potential options in Inverness, realistically. The funding for updated facilities at the Bught will focus on the stadium pitch (shinty) and the amateur pitches. The council won't spend money on football grounds (a topic that's been covered here multiple times).

Very frustrating isn't it. 

University of the Highlands & Islands facility ??

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

Invergordon :  enclosing the ground shouldn't be a major problem.

The path between Canteen Road and Castle Avenue along the south side of the pitch is a public footpath, and is even on Highland Council's core paths plan. When I was there entry was taken by a bucket taken along that touchline soon after kick-off, but folk turned up all through the game on that path and watched all or part of it.

Coldstream had a similar issue and I don't know how they resolved it - maybe the council could give permission for the path to be closed only during matches. The diversion wouldn't add much and it wouldn't be shut often. I think there are even lockable gates at either end. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 00.36.03.png

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 00.38.05.png

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

Very frustrating isn't it. 

University of the Highlands & Islands facility ??

That's what i was thinking but with the pyramid now in place these clubs would need to move again as the UoHi and Canal Park won't be/aren't enclosed and can't really accommodate fans.  Canal Park can but it's see through fencing round it so no one will pay to get in and just stand at the fence and watch the game.

That's a no to licensing right there surely?

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

The path between Canteen Road and Castle Avenue along the south side of the pitch is a public footpath, and is even on Highland Council's core paths plan. When I was there entry was taken by a bucket taken along that touchline soon after kick-off, but folk turned up all through the game on that path and watched all or part of it.

Coldstream had a similar issue and I don't know how they resolved it - maybe the council could give permission for the path to be closed only during matches. The diversion wouldn't add much and it wouldn't be shut often. I think there are even lockable gates at either end. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

It's cut off at the bottom of the photo but Coldstream enclosed it with a fence and added a gate so people can walk through outwith matchdays. Even if it was a core path I'm sure the council would be ok with it being closed for a couple of hours every fortnight. Not really something that would require a section 11 order...

39 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

It's cut off at the bottom of the photo but Coldstream enclosed it with a fence and added a gate so people can walk through outwith matchdays. Even if it was a core path I'm sure the council would be ok with it being closed for a couple of hours every fortnight. Not really something that would require a section 11 order...

Aye, I've been to Coldstream since it was enclosed, I just didn't know what the deal was with the path. For the sake of something like 40 hours a year the community should be able to live with the path being closed. But you always get someone moaning.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

You underestimate the wrath of local area dog walkers.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

That's what i was thinking but with the pyramid now in place these clubs would need to move again as the UoHi and Canal Park won't be/aren't enclosed and can't really accommodate fans.  Canal Park can but it's see through fencing round it so no one will pay to get in and just stand at the fence and watch the game.

That's a no to licensing right there surely?

2m boundary ‘wall’ needed. (You can attach screening to fencing if you want, or grow a hedge I guess.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

2m boundary ‘wall’ needed. (You can attach screening to fencing if you want, or grow a hedge I guess.

Yep, so both of these grounds (when the UoHI one is built) would need that for the tenants to progress, or they'd need to go elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, so both of these grounds (when the UoHI one is built) would need that for the tenants to progress, or they'd need to go elsewhere.

Yes,  but tbf that’s kinda the point of club licensing and the pyramid.   Gradual progression as you move through the leagues.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Yes,  but tbf that’s kinda the point of club licensing and the pyramid.   Gradual progression as you move through the leagues.

Absolutely !

Coldstream worked closely with the local council, which is something that Invergordan, and other clubs can/should do. Having been to Home Park on match days, I can't see why a similar arrangement couldn't apply  to several other clubs at this level.

It is a pity that NCL club Bunillidh Thistle are in abeyance for 2021/22.  Is this because the damage to their changing facilities has not yet been repaired ?

On 09/06/2021 at 21:46, Cyclizine said:

I know these pyramid debates can get a bit heated, but I don't think things are that bad.

On 10/06/2021 at 14:51, GNU_Linux said:

You underestimate the wrath of local area dog walkers.

The dog walkers are barking up the wrong tree !

Also congratulations to Golspie Sutherland who are the NCL champions for 2020/21, as Thurso defeated Invergordon today.