Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

On 08/05/2021 at 13:22, theboke said:

I was curious as to how much further Brechin would have to travel next season if they are relegated to the Highland League, compared to what we know so far about next season if Brechin were to remain in League 2 (i.e. - with Forfar replacing Queen's Park).

I found that a Brechin team bus, going town to town, would travel approximately:

3,184 miles (HL, minus Brora)

3, 522 miles (HL, including Brora)

3, 632 miles (League 2)

So Brechin would likely be travelling fewer miles in the HL next season than they would in L2. 

^ This is a bit trite now and, as others have pointed out, somewhat irrelevant due to the issue being more about where the players are travelling from...but just to complete the series... Brechin would travel

3, 528 miles (LL, 17 teams)

if they were in the Lowland League next season (assuming no colts, and no Kelty = 16 opponents, playing each once).

So not much difference for Brechin in terms of travel, whether playing nationally in League Two or in either of the Lowland or Highland regions.

Perhaps the Midlands League linkup hasn't been announced yet due to its correlation with where Brechin will find themselves.

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Do Banks o' Dee have much to go to meet HFL standard? Would think they'd maul the Fort onfield.

Already licenced. Recently invited. Before that for some they rejected for their potential. 

They'd be doing no worse than what Inverurie & Formartine have managed. 

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Do Banks o' Dee have much to go to meet HFL standard? Would think they'd maul the Fort onfield.

Past history suggests they'd be a top half side at least, probably a decent challenger. The question is if they were promoted to the Highland League, would they be able to retain the players they have? There's a decent number of players who are technically good enough to play in the Highland League (or indeed, at a higher level), but for whatever reason (travel, commitment, work etc) prefer to play in the juniors.

They're already fully licenced, so there would/should be no issues in being promoted. Technically, they could apply for admission anyway, by the HFL's constitution.

Edited by Cyclizine

I'm positive the ML will come under the HL. Clubs across Tayside are already preparing for it. This is either a lazy journalist not realising about the ML or waiting for the rubber stamp of the SFA (which will obviously include Brechin too).

Marten, as someone who, though maybe not in the know, is at least the know adjacent, what's the general situation regarding licensing in the Midlands? Are many clubs hoping to have theirs in time for the playoffs, or is there too much work to be done?

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I'm positive the ML will come under the HL. Clubs across Tayside are already preparing for it. This is either a lazy journalist not realising about the ML or waiting for the rubber stamp of the SFA (which will obviously include Brechin too).

I think it's pretty much guaranteed from speaking to folk up here. As you say, everyone's waiting for the official seal of approval from the heidyins in Glasgow.

Marten, as someone who, though maybe not in the know, is at least the know adjacent, what's the general situation regarding licensing in the Midlands? Are many clubs hoping to have theirs in time for the playoffs, or is there too much work to be done?
Broughty Athletic are the closest to licensing. They pretty much tick all the boxes as far as I know. I expect their application to go in as soon as they are officially in the pyramid. Lochee United are doing a lot of work currently and also expect the application to be made in the near future. Of these two I'm nearly certain that they will be licensed by next year. Both seem to have the ambition to reach the HL sooner rather than later.

Of the other teams, I can't imagine Tayport and Downfield to be far off other than needing lights. As far as I know, both are working on it, but I have less of an idea of the timescale. That doesn't mean that they're not working on getting licensed by next year, I'm just less aware of activities there. Carnoustie also seem to want to get licensed although I think more work is needed there so maybe next year is too quick for them.

Then there are some clubs with lights and who seem to have grounds that largely match the criteria, like Coupar Angus. But I don't know where they stand on the non-ground requirements.

I'd expect quite a few Tayside teams to be licensed within the next two years tbh. Coming into the pyramid seems to be a catalyst for improvement for a number of sides.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

Broughty Athletic are the closest to licensing. They pretty much tick all the boxes as far as I know. I expect their application to go in as soon as they are officially in the pyramid...

Cumnock are known to have had their application in while they were still in the west region so there has been nothing stopping Broughty from getting the ball rolling.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Broughty Athletic are the closest to licensing. They pretty much tick all the boxes as far as I know. I expect their application to go in as soon as they are officially in the pyramid. Lochee United are doing a lot of work currently and also expect the application to be made in the near future. Of these two I'm nearly certain that they will be licensed by next year. Both seem to have the ambition to reach the HL sooner rather than later.

Of the other teams, I can't imagine Tayport and Downfield to be far off other than needing lights. As far as I know, both are working on it, but I have less of an idea of the timescale. That doesn't mean that they're not working on getting licensed by next year, I'm just less aware of activities there. Carnoustie also seem to want to get licensed although I think more work is needed there so maybe next year is too quick for them.

Then there are some clubs with lights and who seem to have grounds that largely match the criteria, like Coupar Angus. But I don't know where they stand on the non-ground requirements.

I'd expect quite a few Tayside teams to be licensed within the next two years tbh. Coming into the pyramid seems to be a catalyst for improvement for a number of sides.

North End wouldn't be a million miles away ethier and United have promised them a friendly as a Thank You for using North End Park for pre-season training this season so wouldn't be surprised if they go for licensing soon as well.

10 hours ago, Marten said:

Apologies if this has been brought up already. Would Tayport be eligible for HL pyramid as they're on the wrong side of the Tay or like St Andrews have to enter in The LL pyramid?

32 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Apologies if this has been brought up already. Would Tayport be eligible for HL pyramid as they're on the wrong side of the Tay or like St Andrews have to enter in The LL pyramid?

The Midland League territory is being defined as the DD postcode (there is also going to be a boundary agreed for Perthshire but I'm not entirely sure of the latest on that). Tayport are below the line & in Fife, but in the DD postcode area. The Highland League are happy with them being in the Midland League and the LL/EOS have no objections either. They can therefore be promoted to the HL. The same the other way around btw, Lucarty could get promoted to the LL despite being north of the line.

It's worth mentioning though that according to the rules, the HL/LL boundary only affects relegation from the SPFL to tier 5, so this could only become an issue if either get promoted to the SPFL and then relegated back down again.

8 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

North End wouldn't be a million miles away ethier and United have promised them a friendly as a Thank You for using North End Park for pre-season training this season so wouldn't be surprised if they go for licensing soon as well.

True, I should have mentioned North End as well!

Not sure what to make of this:

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/highland-league-are-preparing-for-life-with-brechin-city-239290/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

...“The rules state that in the event of a club north of the Tay being relegated from the SPFL, they join the Highland League, so we’re working on that basis,” he said.

“The bottom line is, the rules state that’s what happens, so we’ll deal with it accordingly.

“Now, if Brechin want to try and do something different, that’s entirely a matter for them. What we’ve got to do is have some sympathy with Brechin.

...“I’m sure they’ve woken up on Monday morning feeling terribly flat. That’s quite a harsh experience they’ve gone through, so you’ve got to give them time to lick their wounds.

“Then we’ll deal with it in as sympathetic manner as possible.”

If Brechin do indeed join the Highland League, it will see the division return to 18 teams...

“We don’t know quite what the time pattern will be,” Houston said.

“I wouldn’t want it to run too long, because we’re at the stage where a lot of the structural preparation for next season has to be put in place quite quickly. We’ll try and deal with it sympathetically, but we can’t wait forever.

“It’s not a problem for us to go back to 18 teams, there’s no difference whatsoever in terms of scheduling for 17 clubs or 18 clubs.”

Sounds like Brechin City are still up to something behind the scenes.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

More from the P&J

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/3173770/new-highland-league-president-believes-relegation-play-off-introduction-will-be-historic-change/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

...Talks have been ongoing between the league and the Scottish Junior FA to create a link between tiers five and six of the pyramid in the north of Scotland.

The play-off is set to be introduced from next season, which would mean the side which finishes bottom of the Highland League could find themselves up against either the North Super League champions, the East Super League champions or the North Caledonian League champions.

Looking ahead at what he hopes can be achieved during his time as president, Manson said: “We’re close to getting something sorted out with the tier below us.

“Which would give us the option to go up and down...