Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, theboke said:

I calculate the town-to-town travel for Fraserburgh in the current Highland League, with 16 away return trips,  to be: 2418 miles.

If they had been promoted to replace Brechin in League Two for this season, and the season had run normally, I calculate Fraserburgh's travel, with 18 return away trips, to be: 6560 miles.

Multiply through by £1.25 per litre for diesel and by 4.546 litres per gallon to give £5.68 per gallon.

If the team bus does 5-10 miles per gallon, then divide the total milages by 5 for a maximum travel cost or by 10 for a minimum travel cost.

On that basis, I have Fraserburgh's basic travel costs rising from £1375-£2750 for a season in the Highland League, to £3726-£7452 for a season in the current League Two.

So, if Finlay Noble's right and his club can maintain their present budget whilst avoiding relegation from League Two, he's going to be pocketing ten of thousands in SPFL prize money!

For comparison, Peterhead's mileages are approximately:

3796 (if SPFL Conference East)

4844 (current League One)

5564 (if 18-teamNationalLeague)

Point well researched. They have bus hire on top of the diesel costs which will obviously be incorporated in that.

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

Is Lochee's ground still basically just grass banking round three sides of the park?

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Unless they have been busy during lockdown, yes.

Work is going on with the aim of getting licensed in 2022.

7 hours ago, theboke said:

I calculate the town-to-town travel for Fraserburgh in the current Highland League, with 16 away return trips,  to be: 2418 miles.

If they had been promoted to replace Brechin in League Two for this season, and the season had run normally, I calculate Fraserburgh's travel, with 18 return away trips, to be: 6560 miles.

Multiply through by £1.25 per litre for diesel and by 4.546 litres per gallon to give £5.68 per gallon.

If the team bus does 5-10 miles per gallon, then divide the total milages by 5 for a maximum travel cost or by 10 for a minimum travel cost.

On that basis, I have Fraserburgh's basic travel costs rising from £1375-£2750 for a season in the Highland League, to £3726-£7452 for a season in the current League Two.

So, if Finlay Noble's right and his club can maintain their present budget whilst avoiding relegation from League Two, he's going to be pocketing ten of thousands in SPFL prize money!

For comparison, Peterhead's mileages are approximately:

3796 (if SPFL Conference East)

4844 (current League One)

5564 (if 18-teamNationalLeague)

Having gone to all that trouble I almost don't want to tell you that bus companies don't charge by the the mile.

21 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Point well researched. They have bus hire on top of the diesel costs which will obviously be incorporated in that.

I also calculated the mileages for all present League One and Two clubs to compare their travel distances in the current structure, with splitting those same teams into West and East conferences, or organising them into a national league of 18 (excluding the biggest clubs, Partick and Falkirk).

The results are near the bottom of page 63 of the League Reconstruction thread in the Fans' Views forum. See below -

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/227671-league-reconstruction-lets-hear-your-view/page/63/#comments

Tayport have made numerous improvements over the summer so I guess an application for a license would not be too onerous.  Their facilities were pretty decent already.  I noted trenches being dug around the park so some form of lighting is already on the cards. 

Edited by superbigal

Interesting mileage stuff,guess movement up the league's would like to coincide with a generous sponsor,to cover extra costs. Be good to see what improvements have been made to various grounds during lockdowns. With the extra mileage, I wonder if travelling times (there and back) play a part in players signing, especially part timers.

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Interesting mileage stuff,guess movement up the league's would like to coincide with a generous sponsor,to cover extra costs. Be good to see what improvements have been made to various grounds during lockdowns. With the extra mileage, I wonder if travelling times (there and back) play a part in players signing, especially part timers.

The prize money available once you are in the spfl completely destroys any increase in travel costs.

It was explained in person by (IIRC) Stewart Regan at a presentation to the clubs the benefits of being in SPFLLT in terms of increased sponsorship, prize money, etc., so any club claiming they wouldn't be able to afford a season in SPFLLT is lying or can't count. It would appear only Cove took proper notes at the meeting, however. 

This is a total irrelevance anyway, as no winner of the league going forward is going to be a team of homespun local boys playing for beer tokens, and none of the likely contenders live off the likes of gate money, raffles, or anything else. Formartine and Brora are rich mens playthings with whom Fraserburgh are doing very well to keep up, but (short of going up this summer) it'll be Brora winning this until they get promoted or the rich man finds something else to play with. 

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think some people really believe these are village teams made up of 11 local lads 

Half of the Highland League is boys from exclusively Inverness and Aberdeen.  It's chock full of ex Aberdeen, The Caley and Ross County youths.  

I have a mate who still plays in the HL and he's played for clubs all over the HL including the likes of Cove and Buckie despite living in Inverness all his life.  There used to be car fulls of boys heading east every Saturday to play for these teams.  Likewise loads heading west from Aberdeen.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

This is a total irrelevance anyway, as no winner of the league going forward is going to be a team of homespun local boys playing for beer tokens, and none of the likely contenders live off the likes of gate money, raffles, or anything else. Formartine and Brora are rich mens playthings with whom Fraserburgh are doing very well to keep up, but (short of going up this summer) it'll be Brora winning this until they get promoted or the rich man finds something else to play with. 

I entirely agree with you about future league winners and pyramid contenders. It will be well funded, well organised and ambitious teams who progress  - Cove are the perfect example. 

Fraserburgh are just about keeping up with Brora but I'd say they've been a step  ahead of Formartine in recent years.