Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

Will the winners of the, Brora Rangers -v- Kelty Hearts Highland/Lowland (champions play-off),  be denied the opportunity to participate in the SPFL (club 42)  play-off final ?

According to the Scottish Daily Record, this play-off  may not now take place at the end of this season ?  Yet another potential Scottish football crisis ?

No, see below.

5 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

The vast majority of Scottish football unfortunately doesn’t care a jot what happens in SPFL 2. 

11 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Or it may be just Kelty competing in it and not Brora,due to them only playing 3 of their HL fixtures.. 

It would be a disgrace if the playoffs dont go ahead for another season,especially as Brechin are now stinking League 2 out completely now !!

Or is it a way to encourage' the SPFL to restructure League Two, by moving to a 16 club League 2, including, Brora, Kelty, Rangers & Celtic Colts, and 2 other clubs ?

On 11/04/2021 at 19:42, Robert James said:

Or is it a way to encourage' the SPFL to restructure League Two, by moving to a 16 club League 2, including, Brora, Kelty, Rangers & Celtic Colts, and 2 other clubs ?

PersonalIy, I think that's unlikely.  More self-preservation, sadly.

20 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

As much as I would like to see increased promotion and relegation, get those Colt sides in the bloody sea

Em ok - but I never actually mentioned increased promotion/relegation spots, or Colt sides for that matter.

Robert asked if that was potentially why they were doing what they are doing - ie with a view to increased spots, whilst incorporating Colts.  I believe that not to be the case.  I believe, as I said, that its self preservation - ie nothing to do with that proposal......I believe they just want to avoid relegation at all costs. 

My preference is not to expand the league this season, but instead simply for the pyramid play-off to actually take place, but sadly self preservation will almost certainly curtail that.

Beyond this season my preference would be for the league not to expand by taking in additional new sides, but for Club 42 to be relegated automatically.

Longer term, I'd like to see the 42 changing to 3 leagues of 14........at that point it would be legitimate to increase relegation/promotion spots between the bottom tier and the non leagues.

If Colt clubs want to be part of the set-up, they should start at the very bottom of the pyramid like anyone else.

Edited by Bundesliga Boy

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Absolutely buzzin to post in a year's time that the Grampian mountains encompass everywhere South of the Great Glen inc. Ben Nevis and therefore that's where FW should be relegated to 

Clearly in the West Midlands. Only one league they should be in 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting interview with the Fraserburgh chairman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ne98.net/2021/02/05/fraserburgh-chairman-finlay-noble-on-potential-promotion-linking-the-northern-juniors-and-lockdown/amp/

He thinks they would stick to the same budget if promoted to the SPFL, and would manage to stay in League Two if they did so.

Edited by SecretCEO

51 minutes ago, SecretCEO said:

Interesting interview with the Fraserburgh chairman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ne98.net/2021/02/05/fraserburgh-chairman-finlay-noble-on-potential-promotion-linking-the-northern-juniors-and-lockdown/amp/

He thinks they would stick to the same budget if promoted to the SPFL, and would manage to stay in League Two if they did so.

Where does he say that? He says "It’s something we could definitely budget for and survive in." and talks about not hitting the heights other promoted teams have done - but clearly with an extra £50k+ income they would be able to spend more, though just not to the extent of Cove etc.

14 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Where does he say that? He says "It’s something we could definitely budget for and survive in." and talks about not hitting the heights other promoted teams have done - but clearly with an extra £50k+ income they would be able to spend more, though just not to the extent of Cove etc.

They will need a fair slice of the extra 50k for buses up and down the country. Other costs will increase as well.

9 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yep once a season. Elgin will be their only local trip. They are an hours travel to Aberdeen before they start.

Elgin will be in the Championship by the time the Broch make the SPFL...

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Once the pyramid gets going, with possible play offs into the Highland and beyond - are there many clubs from the HL downwards, who could actually push on ? Needing financial, a fan base (possibly) and meeting ground criteria (eventually)

Banks O' Dee, Broughty Athletic and Lochee Utd would be the three best bets. You'd have to get someone else on here to give you the lowdown on Banks O' Dee. Lochee have a bigger support than Broughty (not that that matters really) but Broughty are far closer to meeting the ground criteria at the moment.

18 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Really? How much extra for busses?

I calculate the town-to-town travel for Fraserburgh in the current Highland League, with 16 away return trips,  to be: 2418 miles.

If they had been promoted to replace Brechin in League Two for this season, and the season had run normally, I calculate Fraserburgh's travel, with 18 return away trips, to be: 6560 miles.

Multiply through by £1.25 per litre for diesel and by 4.546 litres per gallon to give £5.68 per gallon.

If the team bus does 5-10 miles per gallon, then divide the total milages by 5 for a maximum travel cost or by 10 for a minimum travel cost.

On that basis, I have Fraserburgh's basic travel costs rising from £1375-£2750 for a season in the Highland League, to £3726-£7452 for a season in the current League Two.

So, if Finlay Noble's right and his club can maintain their present budget whilst avoiding relegation from League Two, he's going to be pocketing ten of thousands in SPFL prize money!

For comparison, Peterhead's mileages are approximately:

3796 (if SPFL Conference East)

4844 (current League One)

5564 (if 18-teamNationalLeague)