Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

On 12/05/2020 at 21:28, invergowrie arab said:

To stay junior. The LL didn't ask for this. They would have bitten your hand off for 10 -18 teams at tier 6 west 

Also don't kid yourself Talbot werent one of the first to explore WoSL membership even if they weren't as vocal as Kilwinning and Clydebank.

Anyway to go back to your original whine and to keep this HL focussed. Nobody is saying BoD should have to join the pyramid but that Scottish Cup places and licensing should be tied into pyramid participation.

If clubs feel junior is where they need to be that's great, I wish more in WoS had done so. But they shouldnt be anywhere near Scottish Cup places.

I'd agree 100% that only those in the pyramid should be in the Scottish Cup.

I've always thought the Junior clubs coming into the Scottish Cup was a bit unfair. Taking places and potentially meaty ties away from senior clubs. I mean I was never angry about it or particularly bothered once it started up but, originally, fell down on the side of firmly against.

In retrospect, however, it's a large part* of why the juniors is dying. That wee taste of what they could have every year and the benefits of licensing have made staying junior a pointless exercise.

*the other part is BurnieMan

The Juniors weren't really any different to the non-league seniors at the time where the Scottish Cup entry came around - there wasn't a pyramid for any of them to be part of so they were just essentially another set of unaffiliated leagues.

On 12/05/2020 at 18:35, AsimButtHitsASix said:

No they never. Talbot were, and remain, more than welcome to remain in a new Junior set up or join the amateurs.

That won't go down well with those scrambling around looking to justify the 'pyramid' .

How's the highland league pyramid shaping up anyway to save me getting a sore head reading through waffle and spreadsheets.  

Banks o'dee in yet ?  

1 hour ago, traffordab said:

That won't go down well with those scrambling around looking to justify the 'pyramid' .

How's the highland league pyramid shaping up anyway to save me getting a sore head reading through waffle and spreadsheets.  

Banks o'dee in yet ?  

The Juniors have some backbone up here, unlike you weak kneed West Regioners, giving up the grade like it was an old pair of pyjamas. They'll join the pyramid if and when they're good and ready, and not before.

Edited by welshbairn

The best thing that can happen within the next couple of years is if Stranraer or Annan get relegated from League 2.  Hopefully that'll sway teams towards the Highland when theres a realisation the Lowland just doesn't involve trips within the Central belt.

The best thing that can happen within the next couple of years is if Stranraer or Annan get relegated from League 2.  Hopefully that'll sway teams towards the Highland when theres a realisation the Lowland just doesn't involve trips within the Central belt.

It already includes trips to Dalbeattie, Gretna, Berwick, Galashiels and Innerleithen.

25 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

I think theres an expectancy though maybe save for Berwick that all those teams will end up replaced in time by ex west/east junior teams closer to the central belt. 

Given those clubs were in the bottom 6 this season, it's more likely that they'll be gone from the league before Stranraer or Annan get relegated.

1 hour ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Yeah let's wish relegation on a club that has worked hard for years to build itself up to national league standards like Annan, just to get a torn-faced village social club outfit like Brechin and some Tayside junior permadiddies to accept their place.

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Brechin haven't had a social club for years; get yourself up to date. Time to let your obsession with them slide.

Try running your finger under each word in that post again until you comprehend your mistake champ.

All a bit pathetic from brora rangers now.

A crawling statement congratulation celtic then going on to get themselves into it mentioning restructuring. 

It's not happening when will you understand this! 

Move on and concentrate being the best but you can be after this pandemic. 

On 16/05/2020 at 13:24, welshbairn said:

The Juniors have some backbone up here, unlike you weak kneed West Regioners, giving up the grade like it was an old pair of pyjamas. They'll join the pyramid if and when they're good and ready, and not before.

The backbone will come in handy to keep the pyjamas up when the elastic fails ...

Seriously, it's the same sport - stop all this "giving up the grade".  It doesn't matter what you call the "grade" you play in, you're playing football.  And if clubs want to have the opportunity to play at as high a level as possible, who are you or anyone else to stand in their way?

The juniors is a closed shop - there is no way to progress to a higher level for the better clubs.  It's the equivalent of the League 2 clubs cutting themselves off from the rest of the SPFL and saying "right, we'll just play among ourselves forever, to hell with getting promoted", limiting themselves to "League 2" titles for all eternity.  Whoop-de-doo!

Edited by mcruic

12 minutes ago, mcruic said:

The backbone will come in handy to keep the pyjamas up when the elastic fails ...

Seriously, it's the same sport - stop all this "giving up the grade".  It doesn't matter what you call the "grade" you play in, you're playing football.  And if clubs want to have the opportunity to play at as high a level as possible, who are you or anyone else to stand in their way?

The juniors is a closed shop - there is no way to progress to a higher level for the better clubs.  It's the equivalent of the League 2 clubs cutting themselves off from the rest of the SPFL and saying "right, we'll just play among ourselves forever, to hell with getting promoted", limiting themselves to "League 2" titles for all eternity.  Whoop-de-doo!

I was taking the pish out of a "grade" obsessed Talbot fan. Nobody gives a toss about it up here.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I was taking the pish out of "grade" obsessed Talbot fan. Nobody gives a toss about it up here.

Apologies - my piss-take-o-meter needs recalibrated 😉

The only reason I can see for anyone obsessing with it is that it might spell the end of title/cup wins if they are promoted to a league where they are mid-table material.  But this only applies to the teams who won league titles (which was quite a small set of clubs).  For the also-ran junior teams, I can't see any reason for them obsessing about their grade.  Surely they don't enjoy finishing next-to-bottom ten years in a row just because it has the junior label?