Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

15 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

NCL has a fairly recent history of reserve sides: Clach, Fort William. ICT have even played their reserves back in the 90s off the top of my head.

It's a tricky one as I don't like the idea of reserve teams playing in the pyramid, but at the kind of level where it's mostly recreational football for the benefit of players, I think that's okay. It's where the NCL wants to fit in with this. If they're serious about being tier 6, then they need to say no.

To think it wasn't that long ago  in the grand scheme of things (2009-2011), that Fort William were able to run their very own reserve side.

I'm sure Clach had a reserve side in the league in the last decade: Wikipedia says 11/12, although I thought they had more than one season. Fort William apparently entered in 09/10, from the same source. When you look back at the League champions, the majority of them were reserve teams, mainly of the Inverness clubs until to 70s

Just now, Cyclizine said:

I'm sure Clach had a reserve side in the league in the last decade: Wikipedia says 11/12, although I thought they had more than one season. Fort William apparently entered in 09/10, from the same source. When you look back at the League champions, the majority of them were reserve teams, mainly of the Inverness clubs until to 70s

It was basically set up as a reserve/second XI league to the Highland League in the first place. Hence the quasi-Senior status its had all these years.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

It was basically set up as a reserve/second XI league to the Highland League in the first place. Hence the quasi-Senior status its had all these years.

Yeah, exactly. @NiallFH is the man for the background!

40 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Clach were in it for three season (2011-14, finished 7th, 5th and 4th) and Fort William for two (2009-11, finished 10th and 8th-10 teams in the league in both seasons).  ICT were in it until 1999 and Ross County 1998 but not sure when they joined.   Clach and Fort William were also in it until the mid-90s (Clach won the league in 1992).

Edited by stanley

8 hours ago, traffordab said:

Banks o'dee are a very well run junior club always enjoyed my trips to spain park . Can't blame them for not wanting to get properly involved in anything to do with the 'pyramid' up here. 

Jog on...........

On 07/05/2020 at 19:59, stanley said:

Clach were in it for three season (2011-14, finished 7th, 5th and 4th) and Fort William for two (2009-11, finished 10th and 8th-10 teams in the league in both seasons).  ICT were in it until 1999 and Ross County 1998 but not sure when they joined.   Clach and Fort William were also in it until the mid-90s (Clach won the league in 1992).

The NCL was dominated for decades by HL reserve teams:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Caledonian_Football_Association

My understanding is that its at times tenuous senior status has been derived from it previously having been an HL reserve league.

The absolute brass neck of the HL to lecture the SPFL about meaningfully embracing the spirit of the pyramid, when i) its own league champions were the ones who regularly wailed to the tabloid press about how terrible it would be to play at a higher level and ii) it has still conspicuously failed to reform its own closed shop either by linking with lower leagues in the region or breaking up its own division into two tiers with promotion and relegation.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

The absolute brass neck of the HL to lecture the SPFL about meaningfully embracing the spirit of the pyramid, when i) its own league champions were the ones who regularly wailed to the tabloid press about how terrible it would be to play at a higher level and ii) it has still conspicuously failed to reform its own closed shop either by linking with lower leagues in the region or breaking up its own division into two tiers with promotion and relegation.

It was a timely moment for Brora to change their philosophy and the HL and the NCL to show serious interest in making the pyramid happen at this level,along with movement in the Juniors down south if not up here. Unfortunately the lack of interest above is beyond their control. Why the f**k the HL would want to split into leagues of 8 or 9 is beyond me, as is the SPFL's desire to stick to 12,10,10,10.

A: Because having your bottom five teams rack up over 600 goals conceded between them during a single league campaign is tinpot nonsense. And it also ensures that the HFL itself remains an inherently closed shop with no annual change within its own ranks.

^^^saved by a global panademic from a bus ride to Wick once a year.
giphy.gif&key=5622dd1f92674935c9600356f3eea783afaa5da5421af72373493b7d2faf1921

Brechin once shat their nappies about playing Wick on a Saturday - in a replay, after failing to win first time out - that they called off the game just before KO and had Wick travel down again in midweek.

Used to be a nice club, Brechin.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Meanwhile in the real world while the Sevco humiliation road tour takes up all the media oxygen..

image.thumb.png.15ffea2f790a541be7e2ed9daad09960.png

Unfortunately mate this is all 95 per cent of the football people in this country care about. 

The 'pyramid' registers on very very few people's radar it may seem as though it does on these types of sub forums and if you have follow a handful of social media accounts but in reality nobody really cares about boundary lines, who plays where,  automatic promotion to the spfl . 

We could write a book of bullet points as to why the ' pyramid' is already a busted flush i'm afraid. 

On 03/05/2020 at 17:36, ham1sh68 said:

Culter and Hermes wouldn't be too far off licensing. Culter have a decent facility with plenty of cover but no floodlights. Hermes have decent floodlights but would need to upgrade spectator facilities. However not sure if either would be keen to move up.

Others that can't be too far away are Montrose Roselea (play at Links Park),  Bridge of Don Thistle (Aberdeen Sports Village), Deveronside, Aberdeen Uni and Burghead Thistle. When the secretary of the north region talks about it being some kind of mission impossible it sounds like a case of wanting no change so he can keep his blazer.

Edited by LongTimeLurker