Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

39 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I think it's unlikely there'll be automatic relegation from the HFL any time soon, but allowing access to licencing for these clubs allows them to aspire to that, should they wish.

I hope there will be, it would really sharpen up the bottom of the table, sometimes it seems as though they're just going through the motions after Christmas. Could have been a real battle if this season had completed. There would have to be some flexibility on ground upgrades though.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I hope there will be, it would really sharpen up the bottom of the table, sometimes it seems as though they're just going through the motions after Christmas. Could have been a real battle if this season had completed. There would have to be some flexibility on ground upgrades though.

No, I agree, an automatic relegation place would certainly spice things up. I think the problem will be losing clubs from the Highland League with no-one to replace them due to lack of licences, (except Banks o' Dee and Golspie of course). Until there's a few more licenced clubs in the north, I can't see the HFL wanting to relegate anyone: I'm sure they'll add members.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

No, I agree, an automatic relegation place would certainly spice things up. I think the problem will be losing clubs from the Highland League with no-one to replace them due to lack of licences, (except Banks o' Dee and Golspie of course). Until there's a few more licenced clubs in the north, I can't see the HFL wanting to relegate anyone: I'm sure they'll add members.

Broughty Athletic are the only club who would be near licensing, and then that's only if you got the Tayside League on board.

46 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Broughty Athletic are the only club who would be near licensing, and then that's only if you got the Tayside League on board.

Culter and Hermes wouldn't be too far off licensing. Culter have a decent facility with plenty of cover but no floodlights. Hermes have decent floodlights but would need to upgrade spectator facilities. However not sure if either would be keen to move up.

Bridge of Don Thistle* have talked positively, if unrealistically, about the pyramid. They're now getting a new ground (actually in Bridge of Don) as part of a new housing development. Watch this space... Or not.

*aka Newburgh Thistle, aka Hillhead Juniors, aka Wilson's XI

1 hour ago, ham1sh68 said:

Culter and Hermes wouldn't be too far off licensing. Culter have a decent facility with plenty of cover but no floodlights. Hermes have decent floodlights but would need to upgrade spectator facilities. However not sure if either would be keen to move up.

Might be a way of temporarily relaxing the rules for a season or two, like allowing ground share for evening kick offs and earlier starts on midwinter Saturdays. The spectator facilities could also be allowed a bit of time to upgrade, maybe with some SFA financial support. It would just need the HL blazers to cope with slightly reduced free hospitality for a short time. Think Fort William got away without floodlights for a few years when they joined, probably because they rarely play at home in the winter.

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Bridge of Don Thistle* have talked positively, if unrealistically, about the pyramid. They're now getting a new ground (actually in Bridge of Don) as part of a new housing development. Watch this space... Or not.

*aka Newburgh Thistle, aka Hillhead Juniors, aka Wilson's XI

Will they be calling it The Den

Because, you know that's where Foxes live.

16 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Lochee United aren't too far either, main thing needed to be done is floodlights.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Lochee United aren't too far either, main thing needed to be done is floodlights.

North End have lights, although I don't know what quality. Downfield and Violet would surely only be lights away from it too?

I always thought Lochee was one of the poorer facilities in the city.

On 02/05/2020 at 10:27, tellyboy said:

North Region Junior Clubs have voted 19/13 in favour of a Null  & Void Season in line with the East Region Management decision. Wont be popular with all and you can see it from both sides of the argument                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

On 02/05/2020 at 12:16, welshbairn said:

Can't imagine Banks o Dee will be too pleased considering their title wasn't in doubt.

BoD are said to have appealed the decision.

Banks o’ Dee ‘devastated’ over ‘non-sporting’ null-and-void end to Junior Superleague campaign
by Danny Law
 04/05/2020, 10:31 am

Banks o’ Dee president Brian Winton says his side are “devastated” after clubs in the North Region Junior Football Association voted to declare the 2019-20 season null and void.

The Spain Park side were 14 points clear at the top of the McBookie.com North Region Super League after a perfect record from 16 games.

But the 32 clubs in the North Region voted 19-13 in favour of declaring the season null and void rather than finishing the season by the standings in the leagues as of March 7, or on a points-per-game basis.

The decision is in contrast to the one taken in the West Region Premiership when Auchinleck Talbot were crowned champions on average points, despite sitting third.

Winton is disappointed his side did not receive the same recognition, despite being on the cusp of a fifth successive title.
He said: “I feel disappointed and disillusioned over the lack of governance, leadership and consistency. Null and void is a non-sporting outcome and a negative way to conclude a season which has been played in difficult circumstances due to the pandemic.

“The bit that is hard to take is the Scottish Championship, Leagues 1 and 2, the Highland League and the Lowland League have all crowned their league leaders as champions.

“In the West of Scotland Juniors, Auchinleck Talbot were named champions despite sitting third.

“We are the only club in Scotland, as far as I’m aware, with an average of three points per game as we have won all 16 games.

“I feel the null and void vote has penalised the potential league champions and teams in the relegation zone have been thrown a lifeline.

“I guess when you take a vote on something like this, too many teams don’t have a vested interest in the outcome. The management team and players are devastated.

“To put together a run of 16 wins from 16 games and be 14 points ahead is frustrating, especially when the Scottish Junior Football Association have allowed a team sitting third in the league to win the championship.

“Where is the governance, leadership and consistency?

“It is sad for junior football in this area to have a null and void decision. It is not sporting and the easy way out.”

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/dee-devastated-over-season-end/

43 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sounds like the other clubs just wanted to work it right round them, can't see any other logic.

Ellon United and Maud were at risk of demotion, maybe they had a few friends in the other clubs. Not sure how the demotion/promotion works.

This is a right boot in the baws for BoD,they've had the dummy oot for a good few yrs because the HL picked Strathy Jags,Formartine and Turra over them for a place in the HL,after a badly put together bid to get in.

Now the north juniors have put the boot in.

They are licensed,if I was them I would apply for the HL asap.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Don't know why they would still be in the huff from then, haven't heard anything from them.

Has anything been said on NorthFitba why the clubs have voted on nulling the season?

Shocking though, never seen the league go against an Aberdeen team before certainly not one of the big ones. Imagine if this had happened in the SPFL its would meltdown and craniums detonating all over the shop.

North Aberdeenshire and Buchan mafia.

Sunnybank denied promotion to the Superleague.

They took the huff at bring overlooked for an HL spot,their application was poor but they were the best team on the park at the time.

On Fitba North it's been reported that BoD are saying it's a non sporting decision,also they are asking where is the leadership and the common sense from the NRJFA as it was their title a country mile away!!

This could be the catalyst for a long overdue application to join the HL.

2 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

They took the huff at bring overlooked for an HL spot,their application was poor but they were the best team on the park at the time.

On Fitba North it's been reported that BoD are saying it's a non sporting decision,also they are asking where is the leadership and the common sense from the NRJFA as it was their title a country mile away!!

This could be the catalyst for a long overdue application to join the HL.

It took Formartine United taking the huff with the North Region over relegation to kick start the last Highland League applications.

10 hours ago, Snafu said:

Don't know why they would still be in the huff from then, haven't heard anything from them.

From last year.

Banks o’ Dee are not making any preparations to join the Highland League next season, according to chairman Brian Winton.

The Aberdeen junior club has been touted as a possible replacement should Cove Rangers defeat Berwick Rangers in the SPFL pyramid play-off final.

But Winton says the Spain Park club is not expecting an invitation to join the Highland League should Cove earn promotion to Scottish League 2.

It has been another great season for the Aberdeen junior club, with Dee winning the Superleague title and the Aberdeenshire Cup.

But Winton said: “Irrespective of my views on this subject, the facts are that there is no pyramid into the Highland League at this moment in time.

“In financial and operational planning, making the step from junior football to the Highland League can’t be made at the end of a season if a team goes up or down.

“That can only happen if you start off with that objective at the beginning of the year.

“If Cove Rangers don’t go up this season then there’s no vacancy to fill so it would need the teams in the Highland League to vote to form a pyramid system before that can become an objective for Banks o’ Dee.

“You can’t make preparations overnight and financial and operational planning for the junior league and the Highland League are completely different. In addition, I have players signed on junior contracts so it doesn’t become a feasible option unless you know that there is a pyramid in place and you set up your whole operational background to do that. You can’t just wait until the end of May to see if there is a gap.

“No other league apart from the Highland League is part of a pyramid system without automatic promotion and relegation.”

Banks o’ Dee applied to join the Highland League a decade ago but the league opted to allow in Strathspey Thistle, Formartine United and Turriff United.

Winton added: “We also have to bear in mind that in season 2008-2009, before my time at the club, Banks o’ Dee put a considerable investment into the operational and financial planning to get into the Highland League and they were rejected by the members.

“So why would we go and put together a financial and business plan when there’s no clear pathway into that league? The Highland League are in the same position as they don’t have a clear pathway into the Scottish League until the bottom team in League 2 gets relegated.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/1743679/banks-odee-not-looking-to-join-highland-league-says-president-brian-winton/

Looks like everyone else in the league is sick of BoD and didn't want them to win the title 😄

The time is right for Banks O' Dee to show Scottish football what they are made of by joining the Highland League instead of going for diddy titles every year.