Highland Pyramid

Burnie_man

Na 10 team league idea is crap.

16 or 18 for us.

Too much poochy pooing round the Tayside juniors,they're mostly north of the Tay line,deal with it.

If Brechin go down at the end of the season then its Glebe park for the Vale and all the rest of the HL.

If Brechin dont get relegated then hopefully BoD join.

But more talks are needed to cajole the north juniors to come in underneath the HL along with the NCL.

On 30/08/2019 at 11:25, Jacksgranda said:

It would certainly add a bit of spice to the Highland League if there was a European slot at stake.

Qualification for the League Cup although now Berwick are away foreign travel is much reduced.

Imagine the excitement of someone from Brora getting to see bright lights and fleshpots of Larbert.

On 29/08/2019 at 22:17, zenon said:

Here's how I would sort the Highland pyramid. 

Tier 5: Highland League Premier (10 clubs - top 10 of existing HL)

Tier 6: Highland League One (10 clubs - bottom 7 of existing HL plus top 3 NCL clubs)

Tier 7: Highland League Two (10 clubs - rest of NCL plus North and possibly Tayside junior applicants, would eventually extend to conferences if more juniors wish to apply) 

So you'd put Lochee United in Highland League 2 to play against farmers? 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Whereas Highland League 1 would be made up of what, top top players? 🤔

No Highland League 1 would be farmers too. Wouldn't be fair making agricultural lads go up against the skilled tradesmen in the Lochee United ranks.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Everyone's giving their opinion on the Great Pyramid in the North, so here's mine: leave them to decide for themselves.

Being reasonable in this debate will never catch on.

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Everyone's giving their opinion on the Great Pyramid in the North, so here's mine: leave them to decide for themselves.

...at their own pace based on local circumstances and don't insist that the Tayside juniors have to be imposed on them for your own selfish self-interest reasons, if the HL, North juniors and NCL are quite happy doing what they've always done and the Tayside juniors have no huge desire to ever be in the HL.

On 31/08/2019 at 22:59, GordonS said:

Ermm no.

Because eventually its going to affect everyone north of the Tay and needs agreed by all parties. Its not just about the Highland League. There currently 3 other leagues potentially affected.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ermm no.

Because eventually its going to affect everyone north of the Tay and needs agreed by all parties. Its not just about the Highland League. There currently 3 other leagues potentially affected.

If Tayside clubs want to join the pyramid there's nothing to stop them 1) talking to the HL about feeding in to them, 2) applying for membership of the HL or 3) talking to the SFA, the LL and the EOS about the location of the boundary.

Unless they do any of those I don't see the point in wasting time worrying about it.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If Tayside clubs want to join the pyramid there's nothing to stop them 1) talking to the HL about feeding in to them,

'Feeding into them' from what exactly? Where do the teams go that slide out of the Highland League in return, what happens when the likes of Brechin get papped down to the Highland League where they belong in the near future? Or does the HL just keep adding teams until it is some bloated, 25 club mess? 

The structure needs to be established first, then clubs can feed into the league; not the other way round. 

2) applying for membership of the HL

Erm no, because there's absolutely no reason why they should be let in at tier 5 whatsoever. 

or 3) talking to the SFA, the LL and the EOS about the location of the boundary.

Erm no, because that's not up for debate. 

Unless they do any of those I don't see the point in wasting time worrying about it.

As opposed to all those purposeful uses of time available on, err, an online football forum. The onus is not on some Tayside junior clubs to set the timetable for having a functioning league setup in one half of the country. 

I half agree with some of what you've said there VT but why wouldn't they apply to the HL if they are in that catchment area? It's the lowest level of the pyramid in ten region as it stands. There's no danger of it becoming a 25 team league as I believe it's in their constitution that the league would split in two if they reach 20 members.

I used to very much be of the opinion of "force them all in and take away their refs if they refuse", but clubs will have their own reasons for staying put (even if these are ill informed or difficult to get my head round). The nature of our geography means that the Northern half of the country needs a different approach then the Central Belt.

19 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I half agree with some of what you've said there VT but why wouldn't they apply to the HL if they are in that catchment area? It's the lowest level of the pyramid in ten region as it stands. There's no danger of it becoming a 25 team league as I believe it's in their constitution that the league would split in two if they reach 20 members.

It's 21 members before they split into divisions. They'd run as a 20 team league.

No danger of it happening anytime soon of course as you'd need another 4 clubs.

I used to very much be of the opinion of "force them all in and take away their refs if they refuse", but clubs will have their own reasons for staying put (even if these are ill informed or difficult to get my head round). The nature of our geography means that the Northern half of the country needs a different approach then the Central Belt.

The ‘constitution’ is in all probability just as loose and open to interpretation as the British state’s right now. In reality there is no prospect of HL teams - rightly or wrongly - allowing an automatic solit of their league into two divisions just because Carnoustie Panmure or a generic, licensed pick alone want to enter the league. Maybe adding an additional eight teams or so from the NCL and other prospective juniors at the same time to create a proper tier 6 might be a plausible solution: I can’t pretend to have any expertise on that at all. A combined north and Tayside junior v NCL feeder leagues at tier 6 strikes me as being the more logical solution.

As it stands though the SJFA have already abandoned Banks of Dee and northern Junior sides in their pitch to enter the pyramid so why should be Tayside clubs be accommodated now in their place solely because of their location?

• 3 months later...

Having just had a look at the league table,and with it more or less at the halfway stage,you could narrow it down to four teams in with a shout of winning it.How many of those four would embrace a chance of promotion?.I remember Brora be pretty vocal in that they didn’t fancy stepping up to the SPFL.

6 hours ago, PRICEY said:

Having just had a look at the league table,and with it more or less at the halfway stage,you could narrow it down to four teams in with a shout of winning it.How many of those four would embrace a chance of promotion?.I remember Brora be pretty vocal in that they didn’t fancy stepping up to the SPFL.

Pretty sure Buckie, Locos and Fraserburgh would all relish the SPFL because of their vicinity to other L2 clubs. I'm pretty sure Brora would fancy their chances and try it out for a year, and if it doesn't work out, they're backer could always wind down the spending for a season and back to the HL they go.

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think Buckie have also always been anti-pyramid in a similar way to Brora. Only Locos are a reasonably safe bet for actually wanting to give it a go.

Brora are claiming to be enthusiastic this year.