Livi v St Mirren

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St. Mirren were considerably better than Ross County and St. Johnstone. I suspect they will be fine.

I think we're competitive unlike this time last year but there's no room for complacency - still predict somewhere between 9th & 12th for us.

4 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St. Mirren were considerably better than Ross County and St. Johnstone. I suspect they will be fine.

Comparing St Mirren & Ross County in their games against us anyway (then again we had 4 players missing from that game and Dykes was quite clearly not 100% yesterday after limping off against County), but St Johnstone scored 2 goals against us and 2 goals against Hibs, and got 2 draws in those games, something St Mirren didn't manage playing both teams. If St Mirren added goals to their game i'd agree with you, but until then I don't think they're out of a bottom 2 battle.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

25 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Comparing St Mirren & Ross County in their games against us anyway (then again we had 4 players missing from that game and Dykes was quite clearly not 100% yesterday after limping off against County), but St Johnstone scored 2 goals against us and 2 goals against Hibs, and got 2 draws in those games, something St Mirren didn't manage playing both teams. If St Mirren added goals to their game i'd agree with you, but until then I don't think they're out of a bottom 2 battle.

Even allowing for us missing some key people I don't think there can be any doubt that they've been one of the best sides we've faced this year. Assuming that they possess the depth in squad, and Jim Goodwin continues as their manager, they should be relatively comfortable this year. 

I agree with the comment about complacency but looking at some of the other side's performances there are going to e several sides below County; at least until the winter break an possibly new spending given to those struggling.

33 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

St. Johnstone were terrible and would not have scored at all, had we not handed them their first on a silver platter. Ross County had some of the worst defending I have ever seen last week.

St. Mirren at least had sustained pressure and I think their goals will come.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St. Johnstone were terrible and would not have scored at all, had we not handed them their first on a silver platter. Ross County had some of the worst defending I have ever seen last week.

St. Mirren at least had sustained pressure and I think their goals will come.

In the 2nd half they did yep, but so did St Johnstone after their gifted goal, and as i said, they proved they are dangerous and clinical when given the chance, something St Mirren haven't shown enough of, with only 2 goals in 4 games and none against Hibs, compared to St Johnstone. If we had the 4 players that played against County and Dykes was fully committed to chase down balls, it would've been a completely different game yesterday, so you can't really compare them against one another anyway.

34 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Even allowing for us missing some key people I don't think there can be any doubt that they've been one of the best sides we've faced this year. Assuming that they possess the depth in squad, and Jim Goodwin continues as their manager, they should be relatively comfortable this year. 

I agree with the comment about complacency but looking at some of the other side's performances there are going to e several sides below County; at least until the winter break an possibly new spending given to those struggling.

Nah i'm not having that, taking Pittman, Robbo and Jacobs out of the team made a huge difference yesterday, maybe even Lamie too (and Dykes was nowhere near as fit as he was against County), although at least with McMillan we had cover there to at least replace like for like, not the other 3 though. Those 3 in the first half and we go in 2 or 3 goals up and prob get another one or two in the 2nd half. St Mirren wouldn't have got anywhere near their 2nd half performance with Keaghan and Pitts in our team. 

But despite having a weaker team yesterday we still won, and St Mirren couldn't score more than 1 goal against us (that's where they've got a big problem).

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I wasn’t at the game but my boy said it was one of the most frustrating games he’s ever watched. He said we were very very poor first half but pretty much all over Livy for the bulk of the second half. It’s early days and we really need to start finding the net with the chances created. Livy are streetwise and use it to great effect. We need to develop that kind of toughness to our game.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I wasn’t at the game but my boy said it was one of the most frustrating games he’s ever watched. He said we were very very poor first half but pretty much all over Livy for the bulk of the second half. It’s early days and we really need to start finding the net with the chances created. Livy are streetwise and use it to great effect. We need to develop that kind of toughness to our game.

Tbf our final ball was lacking, and we really didn't work their keeper as much as I would of liked.  We had plenty of runs from P McGinn and McAllister down the wing but the passing or crosses into the box just didn't find our attackers. That and Livi defended well. 

Folk going on about the second half dominance, a team winning tries to hold on in second half for a win must be crazy concept :D We sat back off, invited pressure and trusted our defending and went to the counter attack

Edited by ATLIS

21 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Nah i'm not having that, taking Pittman, Robbo and Jacobs out of the team made a huge difference yesterday, maybe even Lamie too (and Dykes was nowhere near as fit as he was against County), although at least with McMillan we had cover there to at least replace like for like, not the other 3 though. Those 3 in the first half and we go in 2 or 3 goals up and prob get another one or two in the 2nd half. St Mirren wouldn't have got anywhere near their 2nd half performance with Keaghan and Pitts in our team. 

But despite having a weaker team yesterday we still won, and St Mirren couldn't score more than 1 goal against us (that's where they've got a big problem).

I think you're missing my point Livi4Ever. I wasn't saying that we weren't much the weaker for the loss of Pittman and Jacobs; I fact I have trouble remembering a full league game when we haven't had at least one of them in the side. Robinson also was a loss particularly remembering the form he was in at Ross County before he had to go off.

My point was about St Mirren and I though that they battled well and had far more joined up passed then any other team I've seen this season. I never liked Jim Goodwin as a player but I have to respect him as a manager in being one of those people who seems to be able to get that little bit extra out of players and his no-nonsense approach to defence will undoubtedly seem them clear this season.

Sure, if they'd been up against the in-form Livi of last week they'd have been in for a far more torrid time; Pittman's bite particularly in attacking midfield would have tightened things right up but this is real football not fantasy football league when you can always pick your perfect team. St Mirren, or rather the St Mirren that came out in the second half,  fought and battled far more and with far more determination that the St Mirren of 2018/19.

Of course I'm only really basing this on one viewing of a team that could conceivably turn out to be another Jekyll and Hyde outfit but I dont think Jim Goodwin will allow that to happen.

Saturday's first half performance was by far the worst we have played in the League this season. In fact it was a shock that we were so bad after good displays against Hibs , Aberdeen and Newco. No-one should judge us (yet) on that performance. If we started the game as we started the second half the outcome may have been pretty different.

Teams all seem to have off days against us though, Motherwell were hyped up to f**k after their betfred rampant display, then were absolute mince against us, luckily for them our finishing was off that day though and they scraped a point against us, St Johnstone were ever worse, but again managed a draw after Dykes missed a pen in injury time, and County who were also pretty well hyped up were unbeaten at home since last year, then had an absolute mare in defence against us, and it was the same last season, i'm beginning to think it can't be just a coincidence that teams have such poor performances against us. Livi just may have something to do with it too.

5 hours ago, Durnford said:

I think you're missing my point Livi4Ever. I wasn't saying that we weren't much the weaker for the loss of Pittman and Jacobs; I fact I have trouble remembering a full league game when we haven't had at least one of them in the side. Robinson also was a loss particularly remembering the form he was in at Ross County before he had to go off.

My point was about St Mirren and I though that they battled well and had far more joined up passed then any other team I've seen this season. I never liked Jim Goodwin as a player but I have to respect him as a manager in being one of those people who seems to be able to get that little bit extra out of players and his no-nonsense approach to defence will undoubtedly seem them clear this season.

Sure, if they'd been up against the in-form Livi of last week they'd have been in for a far more torrid time; Pittman's bite particularly in attacking midfield would have tightened things right up but this is real football not fantasy football league when you can always pick your perfect team. St Mirren, or rather the St Mirren that came out in the second half,  fought and battled far more and with far more determination that the St Mirren of 2018/19.

Of course I'm only really basing this on one viewing of a team that could conceivably turn out to be another Jekyll and Hyde outfit but I dont think Jim Goodwin will allow that to happen.

Don't think it am, you can't possibly compare the two games against us and say St Mirren were better than County or St Johnstone, or even Motherwell for that matter, who also had a poor game, it was against a different set of players and even Dykes looked around 75% of his normal self against St Mirren.

Anyway time will tell, but for now, St Mirren are far too lightweight up front and need to add goals to their game.

Put it this way, if we'd only scored 2 goals in our first 4 games and been knocked out the betfred cup after a poor run of results i'd be really worried too. Hell, we were all concerned about only having Dykes up front, and still would like another striker signed, yet we've scored 8 goals in 4 games, and 20 for the season.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think it am, you can't possibly compare the two games against us and say St Mirren were better than County or St Johnstone

You definitely can say they looked better than County, St Johnstone would be more of a debate. 

Regardless of who played in a Livi shirt, County looked like a lower league side who froze on the day; St Mirren at least looked competent and had a bit of scrap about them. 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

irYou definitely can say they looked better than County, St Johnstone would be more of a debate. 

Regardless of who played in a Livi shirt, County looked like a lower league side who froze on the day; St Mirren at least looked competent and had a bit of scrap about them. 

Yeah based on us not having Pittman and Jacobs playing, or Robbo for that matter, totally different game with those 3 in our team. Surprising thing is with County, the Sportscene guys were bigging them up after their league opener hammering of Accies, saying they had a lot of experienced Premiership players in their team.  County play St Mirren in their next game though so that should be interesting.

14 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah based on us not having Pittman and Jacobs playing, or Robbo for that matter, totally different game with those 3 in our team. Surprising thing is with County, the Sportscene guys were bigging them up after their league opener hammering of Accies, saying they had a lot of experienced Premiership players in their team.  County play St Mirren in their next game though so that should be interesting.

Actually, looking at Ross County's upcoming fixtures, the St Mirren one is getting to be a must win one for them else they'll be dragged into the mire. Away to motherwell and Killie is going to be tough to come away with much (even allowing for Killie's less than impressive form of late).