Caley Thistle vs Hoppy's Leaky Goal Machine

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

When I saw the scoreline I thought back to the game v us a few weeks back. Are yous still persisting with that bombscare Henk in defence?

He's been released. We are however persisting with the slow motion bombscare that is McLean.

Thinking back on the game I can't remember Welsh getting forward at all and Strapp only did when we were 3 down. Combine that with Nesbit and Cadden being on the wrong sides and the glaring defensive deficiencies and Hopkin really does need to take this one on the chin.

Watched the game last night, thought in the first 25 mins morton were very well organsied and possibly unlucky not to take the lead. Feel for the morton fans RE nesbitt, reminds me an awful lot of higginbotham at the pars. Scrappy first half, ICT fortunate to go in ahead. Superbly taken goal from keatings just after the break, shows he still retains quality. From then on in looked like mortons heads completely went, and the penalty attempt was shocking! (Beat my BTTS bet aswell grr!) Walsh for inverness was the stand-out for me, but thank heavens we no longer have james vincent,constant slack passing, heavy touches, giving the ball away and running into trouble. Cant see inverness challenging, perhaps the scoreline flattered them somewhat but be interesting to see how morton pick themseleves back up. In desperate need of a centre half for me. And final note on the coverage from bbc scotland. By god it was amateur hour, and michael stewarts input is next to 0! Schedulding these games for 7.05 kick off, how on earth are any away supporters supposed to travel from greenock, short of taking a day off work and or a hotel for the weekend! Fair play to those who did go though!

o detract slightly from the positivity - Morton were terrible when given goal scoring chances - several were scuffed, the penalty was atrocious and we had one kicked off the line. To be fair the first half was dire but Morton did park the bus. - and finally their defending and so called "offside trap" was pathetic.

I think ICT will be third minimum. We have a lot of quality going forward.

On the basis of that ruthless display I’d agree: the difference between that game and one against Caldwell’s shiftless rabble last week was night and day. Inverness’ defence frankly bullied our forwards all night as they were stronger and well organised: bringing Sutton on was never going to change that and just opened the game up to a ludicrous degree. Inverness’ midfield is spectacular but there’s enough quality in the final third to punish teams regardless.

We will be absolutely nowhere unless that defence gets sorted out immediately - starting by turning Brian McLean into something useful like glue instead of pretending that he’s still capable of playing at this level. The biggest difference between Hopkin’s Livingston side and this Morton team is that they had a core of reliable central defenders to build their team around: Halkett; Gallagher and that sex pest Lithgow. Our defenders aren’t as good as that but are also being made to look like a bunch of circus clowns because Hopkin hasn’t coached a proper defensive shape yet - a task so basic that even Jim Duffy completed it with some success. That we looked no better organised last night than at Motherwell in the first game of the season is alarming.

He's been released. We are however persisting with the slow motion bombscare that is McLean.

Thinking back on the game I can't remember Welsh getting forward at all and Strapp only did when we were 3 down. Combine that with Nesbit and Cadden being on the wrong sides and the glaring defensive deficiencies and Hopkin really does need to take this one on the chin.

Don’t think Cadden and Nesbitt really have a wrong side of the park but the full backs is an important point. Either by design or a lack of leadership on the park we were too cautious when we won the ball back and our front three lacked support all game: Lyon being absent didn’t help that either. We aren’t conceding goals because we commit lots of players forward in attack: it’s just basic errors with enough players behind the ball to deal with the situation every single week.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Don’t think Cadden and Nesbitt really have a wrong side of the park but the full backs is an important point. Either by design or a lack of leadership on the park we were too cautious when we won the ball back and our front three lacked support all game: Lyon being absent didn’t help that either. We aren’t conceding goals because we commit lots of players forward in attack: it’s just basic errors with enough players behind the ball to deal with the situation every single week.

Can't disagree with this; Cadden is certainly more effective with Strapp supporting him but I'm sure he'd be as effective cutting in if Welsh (or an actual right back) would get up and support. Hopkin has to have something lined up, otherwise letting an actual RB go on loan to be replaced by a 19 year old centre half seems like madness.

I'd need to watch the goals again, which I have no real desire to do, but it definitely seemed like McLean was totally inept for 2 of them and him and McAllister were a million miles away from supporting Strapp for a third ( who was just bullied out the way).

2 hours ago, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

Released already? Thought you only signed him in the summer

To be fair the first half was dire but Morton did park the bus.

Aye that’ll be why there’s been 51 goals in our ten games this season m9. It’s the catenaccio Inter Milan side reborn in the Scottish second tier.

Abroad and couldn’t get a feed for our game last night, so had to settle for the Dundee derby. Lucky me.

Without having seen any of the game, though, I’m going to say the pumping was a good thing: the win against Alloa and, particularly, the comeback against Thistle gave us too much of an idea that, despite the obvious problems at the back, we could maybe make do and mend... the ‘they score 3, we’ll score 4’ bullshit, which only works out about twice a season, if at all.

Hopkin might already have something up his sleeve for Monday (loaning Tumilty suggests he does), but he’ll have woken up this morning in no doubt. Even if he thinks Welsh and a fully-fit Grant will be his first-choice pair at CB (and that’s a punt in itself), we still desperately need one and possibly two more defenders.

Most folk have been saying this all summer; amazing that we’ll still be saying it in September.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

First half I thought we were organised enough. We had a couple of early chances but couldn't capitalize on them.

Nesbitt and Cadden just didn't seem to be at the races, and probably played their poorest games for us so far.

But it's our defence that is most concerning. McLean didn't have the pace as last defender and he knew it by trying to claim offside knowing he was incapable of of making any sort of tackle on the ICT forwards.

McAlister has been playing out of position and it eventually showed. He looked like a midfielder playing in defence. 

The midfield and forward line is good enough to make an attempt at the promotion playoff's, but unless we do something about our defence we won't be anywhere near them.   

Edited by Colkitto

21 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Abroad and couldn’t get a feed for our game last night, so had to settle for the Dundee derby. Lucky me.

Without having seen any of the game, though, I’m going to say the pumping was a good thing: the win against Alloa and, particularly, the comeback against Thistle gave us too much of an idea that, despite the obvious problems at the back, we could maybe make do and mend... the ‘they score 3, we’ll score 4’ bullshit, which only works out about twice a season, if at all.

Hopkin might already have something up his sleeve for Monday (loaning Tumilty suggests he does), but he’ll have woken up this morning in no doubt. Even if he thinks Welsh and a fully-fit Grant will be his first-choice pair at CB (and that’s a punt in itself), we still desperately need one and possibly two more defenders.

Most folk have been saying this all summer; amazing that we’ll still be saying it in September.

That's my main gripe with Hopkin. Spent most of the Summer bringing in midfielders and not addressing the glaring issues at the back.  He has farted about with signing a defender we have since released, putting our only natural right back out on loan, playing midfielders and a striker across our back line, chopping and changing it every week and signing a promising CB and putting him right back in his first game. Imagine Duff or JJ did the same? 

We are now at the end of the window and it's a real concern that we won't get it right and our season will be over before it's really started as there is no chance we will finish top 4 with that defence and will probably be fighting relegation. 

I get the impression we are already beyond the desperation stage and are probably  trying to sign anyone now or even worse, no one at all. 

Edited by madton

1 hour ago, madton said:

That's my main gripe with Hopkin. Spent most of the Summer bringing in midfielders and not addressing the glaring issues at the back.  He has farted about with signing a defender we have since released, putting our only natural right back out on loan, playing midfielders and a striker across our back line, chopping and changing it every week and signing a promising CB and putting him right back in his first game. Imagine Duff or JJ did the same? 

We are now at the end of the window and it's a real concern that we won't get it right and our season will be over before it's really started as there is no chance we will finish top 4 with that defence and will probably be fighting relegation. 

I get the impression we are already beyond the desperation stage and are probably  trying to sign anyone now or even worse, no one at all. 

You’re right that Duffy or Johansson would already have been butchered by the support for some of these signings, although there has been criticism and I think that will ramp up if he doesn’t get something done tomorrow. If ever a player deserved the name ‘ringer’, it is surely the Dutch boy...

Hopkin might still be telling himself that both Grant and McLean can get the sustained training into their legs to make them credible options, but that has been a long shot from the beginning, and looks more and more unlikely in the case of McLean. It may very well be that we’ve just signed a guy who is effectively done at anything like this level.

Even if it works out, I don’t think they work as a pair: first hour against Thistle we were all over the shop, both wanting to step forward and win it, no cover in behind; sounds like McLean was at it again on Friday night, only with McAlister failing to provide the cover.

It’s a lot to expect a 19 or 20 year old to come in and play that position consistently, but Welsh alongside Grant, at this point, looks the most likely. McAlister, as above, is a trier and doesn’t hide... but we all know he is no centre-half.

Cause for hope is 1. all managers want better players, all the time, so I can’t see Hopkin looking at this, especially after Friday night, and thinking ‘ach, we’ll be OK till January’. His job won’t come under pressure during that time, but if he’s happy with what he’s got, he shouldn’t be in this line of work; 2. the fact that he let Tumilty (a better shout at right-back than McAlister or Jacobs as far I can see) go strongly suggests he has options, one of which gets cashed in tomorrow.

Let’s hope it’s two (MCT, anyone?), otherwise we’ll be back in Duffy season two territory, desperately trying to sign a free agent to stop the ship from sinking altogether.