East Fife v Raith Rovers (28th Dec 2019)

Its always amazing how wee teams manage to up their game when the big teams come to town , Well done the rovers on holding the Fife for a draw . This must feel like a cup final to you when you play East fife . You should be very proud on such a good result . Well done ^_^

Edited by tazz1903
mistake

12 hours ago, Narey said:

Rovers have a mix of full  and part time players. Most part time teams in the division have players on loan who are training full time. I believe your goalscorer today is one of them. If you look at teams such as Alloa and Arbroath who are holding there own in a league above, it proves that at lower league level when you add in loan players from the premier league and players recently released from full time teams with a core of top end semi pro's, the difference is very small if anything. It's not like all the east fife players have just finished a 12 hour shift down the pit whilst the multi millionaire rovers players are at home in there mansions. 

I think in this day and age, part-time players are no longer pub league players and are as fit as their full-time counterparts. The difference I think is preparation. Part-time clubs have a couple of hours on a Tuesday & again on a Thursday, (when you add in midweek games, even less) to prepare for games, full-time generally have all week together. It may be small, but it should make a difference.

13 hours ago, Narey said:

Rovers have a mix of full  and part time players. Most part time teams in the division have players on loan who are training full time. I believe your goalscorer today is one of them. If you look at teams such as Alloa and Arbroath who are holding there own in a league above, it proves that at lower league level when you add in loan players from the premier league and players recently released from full time teams with a core of top end semi pro's, the difference is very small if anything. It's not like all the east fife players have just finished a 12 hour shift down the pit whilst the multi millionaire rovers players are at home in there mansions. 

If that's the case, why bother signing players on full time contracts??  How many part timers were playing on Saturday for Raith?

Having had time to reflect on the game...

Completely healthy, Raith are the slightly better team. East Fife are pretty close, but a bit more vulnerable to injuries, as we’ve now seen. In the first match, East Fife were pretty healthy, and we were pretty beat up, and the result showed it. This time, despite losing Regan, we had fewer injured than the last several games, and East Fife had several players out or nicked.

I think that, counterintuitively, the injuries that Raith has suffered might, in the long run, have helped Raith by making the team closer and getting some of the backups more playing time. This might also play to East Fife’s advantage, if some of their second choice strikers can get some time and deliver. In both cases, however, a string of injuries at one position might derail the season anyway.

It’s disappointing that neither team has managed to get some daylight between them and Falkirk, as the headless chicken act over there surely can’t continue.

10 minutes ago, RioRab said:

If that's the case, why bother signing players on full time contracts??  How many part timers were playing on Saturday for Raith?

3 starters; McGurn, MacDonald and Miller...Baird and Smith, the subs, are both part-time.

On 26/10/2019 at 23:48, Rovers_Lad said:

Thought the atmosphere was pretty poor and much better at the Falkirk game with 150 odd less of a crowd

So, are you saying that approximately 2500 home supporters didn't create any atmosphere on Saturday.  Why did you have more home supporters against East Fife than you had against Falkirk?

40 minutes ago, RioRab said:

For a start the difference in wages at third tier level means the cost of paying low end full time wages and high end part wages is very small and we can just about afford to have full time players which you would always hope would give us a slight edge against the majority of part time teams which it generally has. What part of my points do you disagree with?? Some of the Arbroath players were earning more than the rovers players last season. 

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

My mistake, I misread that somewhere. Apologies, and thanks Niall for keeping us honest! Can you say why we only have to one goal cam and not the other?

Our current single goal cam came from a generous donation (last one broke). We also use our old match day camera for a third angle when we have enough volunteers at home games. These are both pointed at the Rovers goal as we use these different shots not only to give a better perspective on our goals in the highlights, but we also use the shots for montage videos later in the year. 

9 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

I think in this day and age, part-time players are no longer pub league players and are as fit as their full-time counterparts. The difference I think is preparation. Part-time clubs have a couple of hours on a Tuesday & again on a Thursday, (when you add in midweek games, even less) to prepare for games, full-time generally have all week together. It may be small, but it should make a difference.

Don't you think that is a bit of an insult to generations of part time players over the years that have played in the Scottish leagues?  If you think that is the case, it follows that you must also think the same about current full time players and that they are better/fitter than previous generations?  If so, how do you think say the current Scotland team would fare against say any of the 60's, 70's and 80's Scotland teams?  Or say the current Aberdeen/Dundee Utd teams against their 80's teams?

8 hours ago, Narey said:

For a start the difference in wages at third tier level means the cost of paying low end full time wages and high end part wages is very small and we can just about afford to have full time players which you would always hope would give us a slight edge against the majority of part time teams which it generally has. What part of my points do you disagree with?? Some of the Arbroath players were earning more than the rovers players last season. 

I think you are clutching at straws.  In what bracket do you think are the wages at Raith are for full time players?  Consider what that means to the wages of their part time players.  Do you think Raith part time players earn less than other League 1 part time players?  Or do you think comparing Raith full time players wages to their part time players will show that their is little difference between their wages?  So - why bother signing players on full time contracts??

2 hours ago, RioRab said:

Don't you think that is a bit of an insult to generations of part time players over the years that have played in the Scottish leagues?  If you think that is the case, it follows that you must also think the same about current full time players and that they are better/fitter than previous generations?  If so, how do you think say the current Scotland team would fare against say any of the 60's, 70's and 80's Scotland teams?  Or say the current Aberdeen/Dundee Utd teams against their 80's teams?

Pub league is obiously an exaggeration but I think the fitness of part time players has probably increased significantly even compared to 10/15 years ago. In the past when East Fife played full time teams, you could usually notice a bit of a difference in fitness towards the end of games. That's something that isn't really noticable any more.

Also, there's a pretty noticable difference in the pace of the game at part time level. I watched extended highlights of our play-off final against Queen's Park from 2007 a while ago and I thought it was a lot slower than a typical East Fife game in 2019. PLayers look a lot faster and fitter.

It's probably a big part of the reason that the part-tme / full-time gap is closing in Scottish football, with quite a few part time teams going up and competing in the championship.

Edited by Gordon EF

This league is almost always won by full time sides. What full time football wont do, is make poor or average players good. As we saw last season, we expected full time football to turn a poorly assembled and unbalanced squad into something they weren’t. Generally though, it gives the edge providing the quality of player and management are already there. 

When we won this league 10 years ago, the difference in fitness was huge. It isn’t anymore, for whatever reason – but I do think we are starting to see some benefits. Our style of football has generally been a lot better this season, you can noticeably see moves and passages of play that have been worked on extensively, and we more often than not are finishing games strongly – and that is something that should improve as we enter the winter months. We scored late on against Dumbarton, Montrose, Forfar this season, and finished strongly against Airdrie and EF (2nd time around). We are generally turning defeats into points, which we didn’t do last season, and a greater work ethic has something to with that – and I’m sure being full time helps that. 

Its not just about money or wages though. Generally, its easier for players to make the step up if they are already full time – so in theory more talented players want to come to the club. There isn’t a hope in hell that Regan Hendry, for example, would have signed for a completely part time Raith Rovers – especially with some of the offers elsewhere he was receiving. However a good season or two with us would make him less of a risk for bigger clubs. Its much less of a gamble from the players side , especially the younger ones who feel like they can still have a crack at the top level – they don’t have to go through the hassle of getting a job etc. I’d imagine the part time lifestyle would be a difficult one to give up (see Rory Mcallister) Even in recent years, we’ve taken a chance on guys like Ryan Mccord, Mitch Megginson and Lewis Milne – all talented players who ended up struggling badly with full time football.  

I think we have done a very sensible thing this season in keeping a core of full time players, but supplementing them with some part time guys. Saturday was an example of the kind of depth our squad now has – decimated with injuries yet we really should have beaten one of the leagues form sides. Last season, god knows what on earth we would have seen in that situation. Staying 100% full time would have been to the detriment of squad depth, and going 100% part time wouldn’t see us attract some of the quality players we have – it’s a nice balance.

The short/medium term aim for the club will/should be to become an established Championship side – very difficult to that if you are 100% part time – can get by for a couple of seasons maybe but then it becomes really difficult.