East Fife v Raith Rovers (28th Dec 2019)

On 03/09/2019 at 03:20, smuggfifer said:

“...we blew the last 2 months of last season, for a variety of reasons...”

So, looking at the form, it was a real collapse starting in early Feb. you say a variety of reasons, so what were they? Not following you, was it injuries or something else, what changed? I wasn’t watching it, just noticed the slide down the chart in passing.

Over the last couple of seasons we've been a team who have went on long runs, of consecutive wins to times where we can't buy a win. When you're winning it maybe detracts from weeknesses in the squad. We had great runs in 2 of the cups, leaving us 2 games a week for the month  of march. We lost key players to injury at bad times and I don't think Long or our most creative player, Agnew came back looking there oldselves. Throw in a silly docherty penalty, court unable to score,  the team just ran out of steam and the squad was stretched. Forfar and montrose, our 2 main rivals for the play offs went on great runs at the same time and maybe we were  just a bit pish. This all created the perfect storm that saw our season peter out and we went from a comfortable 3rd to a disappointing 7th. Both false positions I would add. Anyway this all sounds a bit negative when just now the team is looking good and flying high but I hope it answers your query txrover

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

So, looking at the form, it was a real collapse starting in early Feb. you say a variety of reasons, so what were they? Not following you, was it injuries or something else, what changed? I wasn’t watching it, just noticed the slide down the chart in passing.

Agree with LoM, we weren't as good as our extremely good run suggested and weren't as bad as our horrendous run made us look.

Reasons: Around the same time we had injuries to Agnew, Watson and Long. We had that Bohemians game in Dublin and got reasonably far in the Scottish Cup, which left us with a bit of a fixture crunch at the same time as picking up some injuries. To me, that explains the start of the bad run. I think the management and squad just have to hold their hands up and say that they could have but didn't pick themselves back up from that. Whether it was confidence, fitness, form or whatever, what was an understandable dip in form turned into a season-wrecking run. Last season's last season though. Onwards and upwards.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

How do you explain your teams failure to gain the expected promotion last season?

I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, so wondered what happened come the final weeks of the season?

Edited by RioRab

Over the last couple of seasons we've been a team who have went on long runs, of consecutive wins to times where we can't buy a win. When you're winning it maybe detracts from weeknesses in the squad. We had great runs in 2 of the cups, leaving us 2 games a week for the month  of march. We lost key players to injury at bad times and I don't think Long or our most creative player, Agnew came back looking there oldselves. Throw in a silly docherty penalty, court unable to score,  the team just ran out of steam and the squad was stretched. Forfar and montrose, our 2 main rivals for the play offs went on great runs at the same time and maybe we were  just a bit pish. This all created the perfect storm that saw our season peter out and we went from a comfortable 3rd to a disappointing 7th. Both false positions I would add. Anyway this all sounds a bit negative when just now the team is looking good and flying high but I hope it answers your query txrover
The whole cup fiasco in February did us no favours. We went almost a month without playing a league fixture. As said previously, it was a perfect storm of circumstances that all played a part. Going a month with Court as our only striker available.etc

Also, lesson learned from last season, this season nobody in our support is allowed to say the phrase "Aye, but we've got 4 games in hand, win them and we'll be 1st/2nd/3rd/4th". Points on the board >>> games in hand. 
And no-one, and I mean no-one is allowed to mention injuries, lol

How do you explain your teams failure to gain the expected promotion last season?
I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, so wondered what happened come the final weeks of the season?

We shat the bed as per usual. Shit defensive displays and not signing a right back didn’t help. And yet we’re guilty of the same defensive issues. Bene and Davo should’ve left two seasons ago.

2 hours ago, RioRab said:

As mentioned above, serial underachievement via a team drawn too thin because of the full time commitment and injuries, weak defense, and an absolutely catastrophic goalie situation with injuries. The playoffs were simply bottling it, as we seem wont to do recently.

Cheers, lads, thanks for the explanation of what happened. Looking at the scorer lists, it looked like a couple of prolific ones disappeared in Feb-April for you.

• 2 weeks later...
we really are too nice to each other! Ha ha

Rightly so, it’s not a derby filled with a huge amount of animosity or hatred and I’d like to think both sets of fans could share a few pints pre/post match with no problems. I wouldn’t even say I dislike EF or hold any ill towards them. The games maybe have a bit of bite to them these days seeing as EF are no longer a guaranteed 12 points for us and are clearly a more improved team from years gone by and at least it keeps the fixture interesting.

Rightly so, it’s not a derby filled with a huge amount of animosity or hatred and I’d like to think both sets of fans could share a few pints pre/post match with no problems. I wouldn’t even say I dislike EF or hold any ill towards them. The games maybe have a bit of bite to them these days seeing as EF are no longer a guaranteed 12 points for us and are clearly a more improved team from years gone by and at least it keeps the fixture interesting.
Exactly, there's no need for half the stuff these clowns spout, and it often mirrors the abuses you can find on OF posts and forums. We have a healthy rivalry, and in years gone by, there were many "dual" supporters, who went alternate weeks to the home games of both clubs. But that's just too far, ha ha

in years gone by, there were many "dual" supporters, who went alternate weeks to the home games of both clubs. But that's just too far, ha ha

Aye I’d draw the line there. I’ve yet to take a game in as a neutral and doubt I’d want to fork out money watching a team(s) that are not my own.