East Fife v Raith Rovers (28th Dec 2019)

Do any Rovers fans get any excitement from a game against EF yet? For me, it’ll never be a derby. Would love to hate them like I do the Pars but it’s just not the same.

Bingo!!!

36 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Do any Rovers fans get any excitement from a game against EF yet? For me, it’ll never be a derby. Would love to hate them like I do the Pars but it’s just not the same.

I do.

Just as I do with games against Cowdenbeath.

12 hours ago, Jilted John said:

It’s not the Pars, but at least it’s competitive now, unlike the last 30 years.

12 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I do.

Just as I do with games against Cowdenbeath.

You get excited about games against Cowdenbeath? An incredible statement. 

At least with East Fife there was a rivalry back in the not too distant past (if you’re aged late 40s/50s). 

Anyway, if we hadn’t so many players out injured - especially Anderson - i’d be pretty confident about winning tomorrow. As it is it’s 50/50.

It’s not the Pars, but at least it’s competitive now, unlike the last 30 years.

Pish, apart from two seasons ago, where you whitewashed us the games have always been competitive, as the stats show!!!

IMG_0616.jpg.9720154754cd9dada36ca1b70872e5e0.jpg

For a supposedly thirty years superiority you’re only one victory ahead of us and there’s every chance it’ll be 40 each by Saturday night!!!

49 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Pish, apart from two seasons ago, where you whitewashed us the games have always been competitive, as the stats show!!!

IMG_0616.jpg.9720154754cd9dada36ca1b70872e5e0.jpg

For a supposedly thirty years superiority you’re only one victory ahead of us and there’s every chance it’ll be 40 each by Saturday night!!!

In what way is it pish? And in what world can you possibly say ‘supposedly thirty years superiority’. There’s nothing ‘supposedly’ about it. You literally didn’t beat us for 30 years. Most of that is because we were at least one league apart during that time (showing our superiority) but that was still 14 games we were unbeaten. Including a couple of pumpings in that run.

There was a whole generation of Raith fans (myself included) who had never witnessed a defeat to East Fife until last year. It is no wonder the derby suffered as a result and a lot of Rovers fans don’t or didn’t see much of a rivalry. However, East Fife’s win last year was probably the best thing that could have happened to the fixture and there is definitely something extra about the games now that we’re both more evenly matched. 

If we were lucky enough to win the league, I would want East Fife to join us through the play offs, I’m not sure I’d be thinking the same if we were in that situation with Dunfermline. Unfortunately, I think Falkirk will stretch away comfortably from us both leaving us to battle it out in the play offs. A play off semi final or final between the two teams may be exactly the thing to escalate the rivalry again and have it near the level of the pars games which I believe used to be the case.

On to tomorrow’s game, given our missing players, I’m not particularly confident. Steven Anderson, in particular, is a huge miss. Davo and Bene have both been playing much better since he arrived, interesting to see if they continue that form without him in the side. I’d imagine East Fife fans will be filling their boots with the 5/2 odds on offer from the bookies. Very generous odds for an evenly matched game.

We have a bad habit of only turning up for one half (or 15 minutes in the last derby!) against East Fife. I don’t think we have played well both halfs since the 5-0 game. All credit to East Fife and Young for that, they seem to have our number recently. I’ll go for a 2-2 draw. Baird and Bowie for us. Baird missed a few chances last week but at least he’s getting in the positions. Hopefully the past two weeks will have got rid of the rust and he can find his shooting boots again. Dunsmore and Agnew for East Fife because...well obviously.

Edited by R.R.FC

In what way is it pish? And in what world can you possibly say ‘supposedly thirty years superiority’. There’s nothing ‘supposedly’ about it. You literally didn’t beat us for 30 years. Most of that is because we were at least one league apart during that time (showing our superiority) but that was still 14 games we were unbeaten. Including a couple of pumpings in that run.
There was a whole generation of Raith fans (myself included) who had never witnessed a defeat to East Fife until last year. It is no wonder the derby suffered as a result and a lot of Rovers fans don’t or didn’t see much of a rivalry. However, East Fife’s win last year was probably the best thing that could have happened to the fixture and there is definitely something extra about the games now that we’re both more evenly matched.

It’s “pish” because the games have always been competitive, whether you’ve been in a decade’s long winning streak against us or not, you just need to look at the score lines for that (minus the two pumpings) any attempts to say otherwise are just poor attempts at belittling your local rivals!!!
And it is “supposedly” because it has taken you thirty years to manage to get ONE victory ahead of us in the all time results stats, I suppose we should then remark on the previous SIXTY years superiority that East Fife had over the Rovers before your own unbeaten run started and you’ve managed to get those wins to turn it into a more credible score line!!!
As you say, until recently these derby matches were becoming like hens teeth as we just never found ourselves in the same division, I can even recall a couple of times we got promoted and you lot had the temerity to get relegated so we still missed each other, but these games ARE your local derby matches and no attempts at obfuscating will change that!!!
As for the game, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up a draw and Falkirk end up top after pumping Clyde!!!

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a funny old thing the Fife Derbies. East Fife hate Raith but we don’t really care about them. Raith hate the Pars but the Pars hate Falkirk and don’t really care about Raith. Somewhere in the middle are Cowdenbeath who no one really care about.

I've always had a wee soft spot for East Fife, hate the pars and really couldn't give a shit about cowden.

Edit - stick on score draw for me tomorrow

Edited by keyser_soze